DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What is the Life Span for LCD Flat Panels?

Old 02-16-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is the Life Span for LCD Flat Panels?

Toying between a flat panel LCD or a Sony SXRD.

I know the SXRD needs a bulb replaced about every 5000 hours, but how long does an LCD generally last?
Old 02-17-07, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LCD RPTV does need bulb replacement at around 2000-5000 hours depending on the model. Flat panels, however does have backlight that can last up to 50,000 hour.
Old 02-18-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1 BILLION years,

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

IMHO, life expectancy and bulb life is about the last think I would consider in buying a tv or Pj. Today's sets will last long enough until you want to upgrade, and yea a bulb may go out every three years or so, but divided per day, it is way cheaper then buying a coke every day!

And if your really worried about it, get a CRT RP. Less initial money. Better picture overall.
Old 02-18-07, 11:01 AM

I think my biggest concern is viewing angle right now. I was almost set on the Sony SXRD, but I just know that everytime I sit down or move and the image darkens a little, I will regret having bought it. It will also bother my wife.

So now I am shifting over to looking at LCDs. Hoping the prices will come down a bit for 52" in the next 6 months or so.
Old 02-18-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What about a DLP? I'm not 100% sold on LCD. I have yet to see one that really made me go "wow, what a great picture". I even bought a small (27") LCD panel for our bar. Yea, I'm fine with it for the bar, but while it is bright and sharp, it has pretty poor black levels and visually poor contrast. But in my bar I have four window and four skylights, so brightness was the most important factor and it does indeed to a good job with that.
Old 02-18-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only LCD I've seen that I've like was the Sony Bravia 1080p LCD (both the 52" and 46" models). Too bad they are a bit pricey.
Old 02-18-07, 08:03 PM

Those are exactly the ones I am looking at. I am hoping the 52" will drop in price over the next 6 or so months.
Old 02-21-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

if i were you i would stay away from LCD tvs. in my opinion LCD tvs give off shitty picture.
either stick with the old school CRT or get a DLP, i couldn't tell you about plasma through.
Old 02-21-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my experience, 3 months!