Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please reassure me on the Panny TH-50PX60U...I just came back from BB

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please reassure me on the Panny TH-50PX60U...I just came back from BB

Old 02-14-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please reassure me on the Panny TH-50PX60U...I just came back from BB and...

Ok, I have been reading post after post here about this TV because I am in the market for a plasma to replace my 35" sony trinitron and have heard that this tv is in the top 10. Even after reading an issue of Best Buy's "Best" magazine they rated it in the top 10 plasmas.

Anyway. I just got back from BB and was looking at the display and noticed that the color wasnt what I had hoped for and the resolution wasnt what I had expected either. Now...here's the thing. I asked someone who I hoped knew what he was talking about what the signal was being fed through and he said all the tv's ran through coax...not through hdmi...so right there that convinced me that having it at home with an hdmi cable with proper hd broadcast would make a huge difference.

However, I also compared it to the Pioneer PDP-5071HD (among others), just a few feet away and that looked better. Now I haven't rated them side by side, so I dont know which is technically better, but reassure me that the panasonic would be a great choice.

Last edited by DigitalDuck; 02-14-07 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Two things come to mind when reading your post.

1) Having something rated highly in a Best Buy magazine is useless information. They rate it highly because they are trying to sell them. End of story.

2) Viewing a set in a Best Buy is almost useless as well. The mopes there rarely have the sets properly configured for best picture quality. There are a million different settings that can be altered by anyone picking up the remote. Your best bet is to find a "real" A/V store (around Chicago, for instance, we have Abt, The Little Guys, even Tweeter is alright) and take a look.
Old 02-15-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I completely agree, I know that plasma tv buying guide gave it high marks too. When I was at BB it just didnt look like it should have. Now granted it was running through coax. I guess I just wanted someone to say that when run through hdmi it will make a huge difference since I dont have "real" A/V stores near by. However, also I was wondering how that pany compared to the pioneer model too. Thanks.
Old 02-15-07, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Digital, I think I am going to purchase that TV today. I have read that when the Panny is delivered it's in Vivid mode which is not the best setup. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in that mode at the store as well.
Old 02-15-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Panasonic TH-42/50PX60U Optimal Picture Settings (ISF Calibration)

Picture Mode Standard
Picture +22
Brightness +8
Color -1
Tint -4
Sharpness -14
Color Temperature Warm
Enhanced Black Level Off

I have this TV and can not say enough good things about it. After break-in, and calibrating it using the above settings the picture quality is amazing. Skin tones look more natural than I have even seen on a television.

The Panny does contrast and color reproduction so well, the 720p resolution has never even been a thought it my head.

If I sit within 5 feet of the TV, it looks a little "digital", for lack of a better word. I have noticed this on all HDTVs when sitting too close though.

Why are you buying it at Best Buy? That TV must be $2500 there right now. What price are they selling it for?
Old 02-15-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SoSpacey, I was only using BB as a reference to see the tv in action..or so I thought..but when it was running in coax I was disappointed to say the least. Im not going to buy it there. I think its going for, what, $1999 now or something? I might get it at frys or onecall or who knows, maybe bb with a coupon... im just making sure its a good choice because after seeing it with HD running through coax it was disappointing...thats all.
Old 02-15-07, 10:10 PM

I concur with opinions above. I researched my first HDTV purchase for about 3 months. Although it goes against human nature, I think that one of the most important things I learned was to not judge an HDTV on the image you see in the store.

The sets are set to "torch mode" to make them look bright in the showroom setting. The average consumer equates "bright" to a "good picture". Problem is, your viewing conditions will be nothing like those of the store.

Do lots of online research to hear the opinions of people that have personally owned the product instead of the pitch you get from a store employee that is telling you what (s)he read in the sale literature.

I would recommend spending some time at:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com (my personal favorite)
http://www.avsforum.com

These days, I always have my electronics choice made before I ever step foot in the store... (which is kind of sad)
Old 02-16-07, 11:19 AM

dd,

I have also just recently purchased the 60U from BB. There are a few things that you need to check.

First check to see if the firmware needs to be upgraded, this will help with the skin tones. The firmware upgrade is pretty straightfoward and uses the SD slot to do it.

I don't have the website that explains it , but will post it when I get home.
Old 02-18-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a question for people with the Panny TH-50PX60U:

When I looked at this model at 4 different stores, and each time I saw the same thing that troubled me (I even saw the same issues on the industrial version, the TH-50PX600U, at Best Buy):

I saw what appears to be edge enhancement, there seems to be this slight edge to the outline of the objects moving on-screen, and when the movement occurred, it made the image look gimicky and not smooth. Also, I saw a loss of detail on HD material, especially on faces (pores, unshavened beard, etc). Now I saw all the details missing on the Panny by looking at a HP PL5060N that was next to it (the HP's main deficiency was its black levels, but it provided an otherwise pleasing image to my eyes).

So, I'm wondering if this is all because the Panny was fed by one of those huge video distribution systems, and this type of image problem goes away when you plug in a single HD source, or is this really how things would look anyway?

(Before anyone asks, I did muck around with the video controls, and never got rid of the edge enhancement artifact).

P.S. Found the adjective I want to convey what I was seeing on the Panny Plasmas: Chalky. It's sort of like seeing South Park animation (pieces on top of other pieces animated) at time, but with regular promo footage.

Last edited by Patman; 02-18-07 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-19-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, did some more research on this issue, and it appears that the term I was grasping for is "clayface", that's what people's faces looked to me on the Panny Plasma's. Now that I know this is a known issue, I'm relieved that it's not just me that was seeing this condition.

Now, from what I've also read is that there is a firmware fix for the problem, but now I just need to find a link to the firmware. Supposedly you copy it to a SD card, and do the firmware using the SD card slot on a reboot of the set. If anyone knows where this firmware can be found, please let us know! TIA.

It's totally possible that the Panny's I've seen in the stores were the first models and didn't have the most up-to-date firmware, while the new units now have the new firmware in place, and that's why the new owners aren't complaining about the Clayface issue as it's been resolved at the factory.

Update - just found the link to the firmware page:

http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co...downloads1.asp

Last edited by Patman; 02-19-07 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is easy! You ask the questions, you answer the questions.
Old 02-20-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I was just trying to reconcile the rave reviews on this model with what I was seeing with my own 2 eyes at different stores. At least this problem has a solution to it. I would like to see this set with the proper firmware, though.