Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I want to buy! I really do, but....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm letting my frugalness get to me. And you need to push me over the edge! I can get the Panasonic TH-50PX60U for $1570 shipped at Sears through a pricematch with Frys and small discount through work. That should sell me immediately, but I'm waffling over needing a new HD dish setup, new DVD player, new DVR + higher DirecTV bill. Oh, and what the hell to do with a Sony WEGA CRT that takes three people to move (non-HD)?

Please tell me that I only live once and I should purchase this TV tomorrow

The thing is, that Panny could be $1500 in a few months when the new models come out. This stupid game can be played forever!

Last edited by atlantamoi; 02-14-07 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buy it NOW! It's a fucking great TV and $1500 is a sweet price. Hope this helped.
Old 02-14-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I am not going to tell you to do anything. I have been buying high end audio/video equipment for 30 years. There is always a better deal tomorrow and deals are always around.

Bottom line is when you decide to take out the credit card.
Old 02-14-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I hate to buy displays with goofball resolutions 1366x768 but that is a aweful nice price. I also hate plasmas but thats an aweful nice price. If nothing else you could turn around and sell it for probably damn near the same amount you'd be paying for it. I mean seriously you offer someone a 50 inch plasma for $1400 who wouldn't grab it. This way you can have it for awhile and play with it see how you like the tech, if it works for you, keep it. Nothing else be one hell of a bedroom tv lol.

I can't believe Im saying this .....ok I won't say it but you know what I'm thinking.
Old 02-14-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, that was enough. I'm buying Actually, the big pain is getting my current TV off the stand. I'm hoping two guys deliver the plasma and I can pay them to move my Sony into the next room. If not, no watchie watchie.
Old 02-14-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
At first I thought you were talking about a receiver and I was going to abstain from commenting, since I'm not a receiver guy.

But, hey, it's a TV man. TELE-VISION!

Get it!
Old 02-14-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
At first I thought you were talking about a receiver and I was going to abstain from commenting, since I'm not a receiver guy.
Oh, it might have helped if I said it was a 50'' plasma, huh? doh!

I know that Panasonic is about to start selling their 2007 models soon. What will be the big difference between the 2006 and 2007s?
Old 02-14-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been reading for months on which new tv I plan on getting, which will be later this year. That Panasonic has gotten rave reviews from everyone. I think I've found my next tv.
Old 02-15-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Okay, that was enough. I'm buying Actually, the big pain is getting my current TV off the stand. I'm hoping two guys deliver the plasma and I can pay them to move my Sony into the next room. If not, no watchie watchie.

all of your posts in this thread sound like me.

i have always been the family member to take people to the store to buy their TVs and home theaters, but I am alsot the guy with a 36" tube tv.

I finally caved in December. I spent 2 years before it saying I am ready to upgrade the TV but just could never pull the trigger.

Woke up one Saturday morning...wife went to Dunkin Donuts for some coffeee, by the time she got back I had purchased my Panny 50PX60U. $1800 delivered, no tax from Fry's.

Did I think about the price dropping again? Only until the TV showed up at my house. Now, I am so happy with my purchase, I could care less!
Old 02-15-07, 09:07 AM

oh...

the 36" tube it was replacing....

we couldnt separate the TV from the stand. The stand has pegs and the TV has holes and they just would not separate.

We had to move the TV and stand together (200+lbs) and hope the whole time that it didnt separate while we moved it.
Old 02-15-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where did you move your 36''? I was thinking of hiring some help to get that baby upstairs to our bedroom, but just thinking about any future moves beyond that has me totally ready to sell it (hopefully around $350 to $400 posted on our company bulletin board).

I'm buying that Panny tonight. The question of buying the TV is answered, but dealing with the best way to get HDTV is slightly disappointing. I have had DirecTV for four years and love it. I'm stuck with one more year in a two year contract and would have to reup two more years getting their HD deal ($200 for their DVR (that's minus a $100 rebate) and dish installation + a higher bill). I hate signing a contract like that, but the alternatives cost much more.
Old 02-15-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been looking for a new set, and my criteria is that 1080p is a must because I'll have the new set for a handful of years and I don't want to be stuck with a native 720p set, so most affordable plasma's are out. I'm going to probably end up with a LCoS RPTV.
Old 02-15-07, 10:33 AM

Where did you move your 36''? I was thinking of hiring some help to get that baby upstairs to our bedroom, but just thinking about any future moves beyond that has me totally ready to sell it (hopefully around $350 to $400 posted on our company bulletin board).
You asked....

I am moving it into the garage. I am going to hang it from the ceiling joists and face it out of the back window towards my pool so I can lie on a raft and eatch the yankees during the summer. I already have a mirage speaker set-up out there so I will jsut tie the TV into a channel on the receiver.

I'm buying that Panny tonight. The question of buying the TV is answered, but dealing with the best way to get HDTV is slightly disappointing. I have had DirecTV for four years and love it. I'm stuck with one more year in a two year contract and would have to reup two more years getting their HD deal ($200 for their DVR (that's minus a $100 rebate) and dish installation + a higher bill). I hate signing a contract like that, but the alternatives cost much more.

What about an antenna? either indoor or outdoor. I would try one of these solutions before committing to an extension.

what about cable? you may be able to add on basic ($20/month) and use the tuner in the panny to get OTA HD.
Old 02-15-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I am going to hang it from the ceiling joists and face it out of the back window towards my pool so I can lie on a raft and eatch the yankees during the summer.
That's really cool! Sounds like fun.