DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD Burners

Old 02-13-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Burners

Folks,

Sorry for the total newb question, but can someone help me with a couple of questions about DVD Recorders? (I need to buy one because my Sony player that is about 1 year old just died on me...grrr). This question applies mostly to a player/recorder I'm going to buy for my sound system, but also applies to computer DVD burners as well.

1. Can someone tell me the different formats for burning DVDs? I'm not so much interested in Blu-Ray or HD, just regular recorders. DVD+, DVD-, DVD-RW?

2. Here's the real question: If I want to record 10 episodes of the Simpsons that's on my TiVo unit, can I do that with a DVD Recorder? I'd assume I'd need to pause and continue recording with the DVD recorder (if possible), while I queue up my next episode of the Simpsons? Can this be done or are DVD recorders only made for burning movies/home movies, etc.?

3. If there's a good FAQ on this information, anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks so much!
Old 02-13-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is pretty much all related to non-computer recorders, but some of it applies to those, too.

1. DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, and dual layer versions of -R and +R. Confused, yet?

2. I highly recommend whatever the latest model of the $200 Panasonic recorder is. They play DVDs decently, and they make excellent recordings via Svideo from TV or a Tivo. They will record all of the above formats so you can pick whichever you like.

3. www.videohelp.com

PS: Some more on #1.....
-R and +R are very similar. These record once, and the disc is permanent. If you screw it up, it's trash. But these are still easy to record several episodes. Just record one, stop. Record another later.

-RW and +RW are both rewriteable so discs can be used over and over. +RW allows you to do almost anything you want, like a hard drive. You can delete and record whatever tracks you want. -RW only allows you to delete the whole disc at once.

-RAM is basically a hard drive and not real suited to movie or TV storage. It is more suited to computer backups and being a DVR like your Tivo. It is also a Panasonic tech, so it is not real common, unless you own a Panny. Discs are still what I call pricey.