DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   No Audio from any of my Sources into Receiver (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/492327-no-audio-any-my-sources-into-receiver.html)

SoSpacey 02-12-07 02:48 PM

No Audio from any of my Sources into Receiver

Equipment:
Yamaha RXV-595a
PS3
Sony Upconverting DVD player
Panasonic Plasma
SA HD Cable Box
S2 Tivo

Hook-ups:
PS3-
HDMI to TV
Optical Audio to Receiver

DVD Player-
HDMI to TV
Coax Digital Audio to Receiver

Cable Box-
Component to TV
Optical Audio to Receiver
rca 2 channel to tv

Tivo-
yellow rca for video
red/white for audio

Problems:
No audio to receiver from any of these sources. I do get audio to TV through HDMI and through analog from cable box and tivo. I also get audio from tivo to receiver via rca.

I am getting audio from DVD player and ps3 to the tv but nothing to my receiver.

I had digital audio from my old DVD player to my receiver. I get nothing now. I do get analog audio from my XM receiver to my receiver but I get nothing in digital.

My receiver is a 7 year old Yamaha Dolby Digital 5.1 that has served me well over the years. The past 2 years I have experience some bleed through from one channel to other channels but never have I not had any sound.

I am trying to hold out on getting a new receiver for a few more months. I am doing a total overhall and receiver and speakers are next. I just want to get things running properly for now.

Brian Shannon 02-12-07 03:47 PM

Well not sure if you are asking a question or not.

Do the test tones work? If not it maybe something serious and you maybe upgrading sooner than you thought.

corbin dallas 02-12-07 03:55 PM

Was thinking the same thing. Receiver is probably kaputski.

SoSpacey 02-12-07 04:11 PM

wierd thing is that i had sound from my digital audio connections with my old dvd player one day. the next day with the 2 new sources i get nothing.

it's not like i had them with a source and then didnt the next day.

just trying to figure out if i am doing something wrong. i am hoping i am missing something.

what is a hard reset? maybe i need to try that. yamaha said i should give it a shot.

Brian Shannon 02-12-07 04:50 PM

Unplug the receiver and let it sit for a while, maybe even a few hours.

Then just connect the speakers and try the test tones. If they work then connect one piece at a time and test each piece.

It could be several things if the receiver works ok but you need to verify that first.

SoSpacey 02-12-07 06:10 PM

CD player works through RCAs
test tones play through all speakers

still nothing with my digital connections.

i already know the answer to the question, but if my dvd player will send audio through the hdmi connection AND the digital audio connection at the same time, right?

Brian Shannon 02-12-07 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
CD player works through RCAs
test tones play through all speakers

still nothing with my digital connections.

i already know the answer to the question, but if my dvd player will send audio through the hdmi connection AND the digital audio connection at the same time, right?

Well I am reaching here but I would say no. I have no hdmi audio sources in either of my theaters. I would suggest checking the settings on the player to see what is being output and on the receiver to see what is being input.

My guess is that one is overriding the other and the receiver is not set to receive the proper one.

DVD Josh 02-12-07 09:34 PM

It's also possible that you blew a fuse. Empty the fuse ports and see if either is busted. You may want to just change them out of hand regardless; fuses should run you under a $1.

SoSpacey 02-13-07 11:13 AM

fuse?

i wouldnt even know where to find them. i looked in my manual and didnt see them either.

corbin dallas 02-14-07 07:11 AM

I would think more on the line of a blown resistor versus a fuse.