DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DLP Problems?

Old 02-12-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DLP Problems?

I have been having some on-going problems with my TV, which can be seen HERE.

Last night while watching the Grammys the set just turned off. I was just watching TV, through an OTA antenna. The set just went black, the color wheel stopped and no fans, just the flashing green light. This was not the typical power-down procedure (meaning I didn't accidentally hit the power button). There was no power flicker, nothing else went off. I turned it back on momentarily to get the fan running on the bulb.

Is this a case of overheating, or an indicator of future, larger problems? I had the image unit replace ~1.5 weeks ago, and I just passed my 30 day return period (which runs from date of purchase, not date of delivery).

Is it a power thing? Are these sets a lot more sensitive than CRTs and I need to get some line filter/battery back-up instead of just my surge protector?

Last edited by jonw9; 02-12-07 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-12-07, 12:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jonw9
I have been having some on-going problems with my TV, which can be seen HERE.

Last night while watching the Grammys the set just turned off. I was just watching TV, through an OTA antenna. The set just went black, the color wheel stopped and no fans, just the flashing green light. This was not the typical power-down procedure (meaning I didn't accidentally hit the power button). There was no power flicker, nothing else went off. I turned it back on momentarily to get the fan running on the bulb.

Is this a case of overheating, or an indicator of future, larger problems? I had the image unit replace ~1.5 weeks ago, and I just passed my 30 day return period (which runs from date of purchase, not date of delivery).

Is it a power thing? Are these sets a lot more sensitive than CRTs and I need to get some line filter/battery back-up instead of just my surge protector?
I think that it is a power thing, and that they are much more sensitive than CRT's. If I do accidently turn off the TV, sometimes I will get the flashing green light for 30 seconds to a minute before I can do anything with my TV.
Old 02-12-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have been meaning to get a UPS for my TiVo, so maybe this will push up the purchase time frame.
Old 02-13-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The surge protector should be plenty. I've had zero problems with both a DLP and an LCD projector and surge protectors. And the power company seems to be my enemy with how often it has gone down.

You may have a lemon. 2 major problems in the first month is pretty ugly.
Old 02-13-07, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do have the PSP, so I will keep an eye on the issue. I just wasn't sure if it was a set problem, or an electrical issue.

The sad part is, this set is a replacement for a lemon.
Old 02-13-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I actually had this happen to my DLP about a month or two ago. I figured the lamp was going. The problem happened occasionally for about 10 days, then just stopped doing it all together, and the TV is fine. I have a four year warranty in case it is the bulb, but it's all working fine now.