Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How much to install a PJ and hang a plasma?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

We are looking to move and are thinking about putting an offer in on a house. The basement has overhead lighting that is the right distance to hang a projector (just remove the fixture). We'd also like to hang the plasma in the living room. What am I looking at in terms of cost?
Old 02-09-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
For the pj I would differently DIY. And unless you have a 60" plasma or something, think I would do the plasma as well.

I built my own projector ceiling mount in about 30 minutes and hung my PJ myself. I also recently hung a 27" LCD flat panel in my bar and while that is different then a 42-50" plasma, it looks like all mounts work pretty much the same. You just need to get a mount for your size/weight of unit - then find the studs.

So I never did answer your question....well I'm not sure, but the local high end HT shop by me charges something like $150 per hour for "general" work like this. Needless to say I have never used them.
Old 02-09-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
For the pj I would differently DIY. And unless you have a 60" plasma or something, think I would do the plasma as well.

I built my own projector ceiling mount in about 30 minutes and hung my PJ myself. I also recently hung a 27" LCD flat panel in my bar and while that is different then a 42-50" plasma, it looks like all mounts work pretty much the same. You just need to get a mount for your size/weight of unit - then find the studs.

So I never did answer your question....well I'm not sure, but the local high end HT shop by me charges something like $150 per hour for "general" work like this. Needless to say I have never used them.
Well I plan to buy the PJ from Tweeter or another local place. I figure I might be able to get a decent deal on an install, and convince the guys that come to hang the plasma for cash.
Old 02-09-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just moved the wiring on mine. I had upgraded PJ's and had to move it a little closer then the old one and just not got around to moving the wires. Much neater now.

Really not that hard...you should consider doing yourself and save the money for more DVD's!
Old 02-11-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there a DYI guide? The place we put an offer on has overhead fixtures in the perfect place for a PJ, but that just takes care of the electric. I still have to get an HDMI wire in there. And what about the drop down thingy from the ceiling to the PJ itself?

One of the things I like about a pro install is how clean it will be and the fact that if it falls off the wall, I'd be covered.
Old 02-11-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
One of the things I like about a pro install is how clean it will be and the fact that if it falls off the wall, I'd be covered.
Just my .02 but if you are paying them cash under the table for something that is not included in the work order, assuming they do it, I have a hard time believing that the company would cover anything.
Old 02-11-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Is there a DYI guide? The place we put an offer on has overhead fixtures in the perfect place for a PJ, but that just takes care of the electric. I still have to get an HDMI wire in there. And what about the drop down thingy from the ceiling to the PJ itself?

You are mainly talking about pulling wire, so it isn't a DIY theater guide you would want, but electrical/construction. There are plenty of manuals for stuff like this.

If it doesn't feel like something you want to do, I completely agree that you should hire it done. But it will likely cost a few hundred dollars. You'd want to double check if they warrant a TV that way, don't assume. Esp one they did not sell you. And then you start running into issues about how they do it. Whether they will use the wire you like, etc. You'd want to find a specialty HT installer rather than a general contractor. I think you have some phone calls to make.

Oh, one place to better get an answer to this question on the web might be remotecentral.com, in the Custom Installer section. If they aren't being pissy that day (don't get me started), it is filled with installers who could give you a better handle on a sight-unseen ballpark quote.
Old 02-11-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what type of ceiling is there in the room the PJ is going? Sheetrock? Drop ceiling?

Make sure when the wires get pulled that you dont have any electrical wires near the video wires. they can cross but they can not run parallel.

hanging the plasma is easy. you just need 3 people to make sure you dont drop it.

i am in the process of ripping down the sheetrock above my fireplace, running all the wires behind the studs, putting audio/video wall plates, etc.

it really is not tough to do.
Old 02-11-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent reference

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....+running+wires