DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

OK people, what should I spend my money on.

Old 02-07-07, 05:51 PM
Suspended

OK people, what should I spend my money on.

Here is my dilemma.

I am in a need to upgrade in multiple areas. The only thing that I am satisfied with is the 62" 1080p TV. My budget $700-$800.

My needs:

AVR I am in need of a new AVR. My current AVR (Panasonic SA-XR50) frequently has cutoff/drop off issues and I am fed up. Priority - 5/5

Speakers I like to upgrade my speakers. I have some Polk Audio R50's that I have placed around, using them as my L, R as well as SL and SR speakers. Priority - 3/5

HD content The only content that I have right now is the HD service that I get through my cable company. I pretty much only watch sports on it now. I want to get more out of my TV. My 360 has taken a crap on me, so I no longer have that. I am also interested in getting an A1/A2. Priority 2/5

It is a forgone conclusion that I will be buying a new AVR within the next 10 days. I have been looking at the Pioneer Elite 81TXV, but am turned off, because of the HDMI issues that it has. I was also looking at the Yamaha RX-V1700.

Should I get a cheaper AVR, like the Onkyo 504 ($160 shipped, refurbed with warranty), and wait another year for the HDMI 1.3/better receivers to hit the market and spend my money somewhere else? Remeber, this is the time of year (tax time) and really the only time of year that I can upgrade home electronic equipment, so whatever I do not choose, will most likely have to wait another year or more.

Suggestions??? Comments???
Old 02-07-07, 06:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings

AVR I am in need of a new AVR. ...

Speakers I like to upgrade my speakers. ...

HD content ...

It is a forgone conclusion that I will be buying a new AVR within the next 10 days. I have been looking at the Pioneer Elite 81TXV, but am turned off, because of the HDMI issues that it has. I was also looking at the Yamaha RX-V1700.

Should I get a cheaper AVR, like the Onkyo 504 ($160 shipped, refurbed with warranty), and wait another year for the HDMI 1.3/better receivers to hit the market and spend my money somewhere else? Remeber, this is the time of year (tax time) and really the only time of year that I can upgrade home electronic equipment, so whatever I do not choose, will most likely have to wait another year or more.

Suggestions??? Comments???
My general suggestion for this type of thing would be to consider limping along on the receiver and upgrading the speakers instead. Depending on how bad it's acting up, that may or may not be reasonable. The thinking is that both the receiver and HD-DVD players will be dropping in cost and/or increasing in quality over the next year. OTOH, the speakers probably won't see such a dramatic change. You don't mention having a sub, which is always a good addition to a HT.

If you really have to have the receiver, then I would seriously consider your thought of going with an interim solution that could later be moved to a secondary HT location or just used for music. That would leave enough to at least start on the speakers.
Old 02-07-07, 07:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dead
My general suggestion for this type of thing would be to consider limping along on the receiver and upgrading the speakers instead. Depending on how bad it's acting up, that may or may not be reasonable. The thinking is that both the receiver and HD-DVD players will be dropping in cost and/or increasing in quality over the next year. OTOH, the speakers probably won't see such a dramatic change. You don't mention having a sub, which is always a good addition to a HT.

If you really have to have the receiver, then I would seriously consider your thought of going with an interim solution that could later be moved to a secondary HT location or just used for music. That would leave enough to at least start on the speakers.
I already have a pretty good sub, so I don't need to buy that, (thank goodness)

The Polk 50's that I am using for the LR (TV and TV on DVD viewing) needs to be upgraded. I would say that my tv watching is something like 30% TV viewing, 40% movie (including TV on DVD), 25% video game, and 5% music. The Panasonic AVR/Polk 50's combination just does not do a good enough job.

Upgrading speakers seem to be a really good idea at this point. I just have no idea what would be good speakers $500-600 range. They do not have to be tower speakers. In fact a good set of bookshelf speakers may work in my living room setup better, but I only have 10" height clearance for my bookshelves, without changing around the shelving.

The Onkyo 504 is 7.1, and if I decide to upgrade the speakers, I will probably move the 2 Polk 50's to the rear back to complete the 7.1. That said, I know that it has been said that if I have Polk for some of my speakers, that I should try and keep them for the main L/R speakers... Are there Polk speakers (again, in the $500-$600 a pair range) that is a good enough value for the price? Or should I just I go with some Infinity/Paradigm/"recommend more here" etc.

The more suggestions the better.

Last edited by gimmepilotwings; 02-07-07 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-07-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is your 360 still under warranty? I would think about getting that fixed.
My next purchase will probably be an upconverting player, although I probably need a new receiver as well.

That being said, I really don't know what to suggest for you. I would probably wait on a receiver, but then this time next year HDMI 1.4 (or something else) will be coming around.
Old 02-07-07, 08:23 PM
Suspended

I no longer have the 360, I was able to get it repaired, but I sold it because it really did collect dust. My TV does not have a VGA connection, and the 360 does not upconvert SD DVD's over component, so the 360 add on is not an option for me.

I honestly cannot wait on the receiver. If it lasts another month I would be more than thrilled. If the consensus is to spend as little as possible on the receiver, then I will probably pick up that Onkyo receiver. That should leave about $500-600 left over to spend, and thats my dilemma.

Does anyone have any speaker suggestions in that price range? If you could find one in the $400 price range, that would be even better, as it would allow enough in my budget to get an Oppo.
Old 02-07-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NHT bookshelves. Available at onecall.com or probably your local high-end shop. In the price range and very good sound for the price. svsound.com has even better bookshelves, a set is $600. Or av123.com finally has bookshelf models, again. Very popular with poor audiophiles.

But unless your speakers are broken in some way, it really sounds like right now you need a receiver more. Spending "as little as possible" on any of your components sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd get the receiver you want and save a little longer before upgrading the speakers. Even if it is a year. Your viewing habits don't suggest a huge need to go crazy on speakers, either. That RXV1700 looks pretty good. I'd get a nice $500-1000 receiver now and a great set of bookshelves next year. And I'm not just blowing smoke, it took me 4 years to get my system finished. And it is killer since I was patient.

Does that TV have a tuner? Throw up an antenna and get some content.
Old 02-08-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Um you could've used a vga breakout cable for the 360...
Old 02-08-07, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiky
NHT bookshelves. Available at onecall.com or probably your local high-end shop. In the price range and very good sound for the price. svsound.com has even better bookshelves, a set is $600. Or av123.com finally has bookshelf models, again. Very popular with poor audiophiles.

But unless your speakers are broken in some way, it really sounds like right now you need a receiver more. Spending "as little as possible" on any of your components sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd get the receiver you want and save a little longer before upgrading the speakers. Even if it is a year. Your viewing habits don't suggest a huge need to go crazy on speakers, either. That RXV1700 looks pretty good. I'd get a nice $500-1000 receiver now and a great set of bookshelves next year. And I'm not just blowing smoke, it took me 4 years to get my system finished. And it is killer since I was patient.

Does that TV have a tuner? Throw up an antenna and get some content.
Thanks for the honest advice.

I have a tuner, and I do have HD content from the cable service (local channels included, as well as the base HD package. I rarely watch live TV though, as I am a TV on DVD watcher instead. (even with a DVR)

I am in a dire need of a receiver, as in no matter how hard I have to play with the settings, I have to turn my receiver up so loud, that it is causing the drop offs. I know, (well I have heard) that Polk Audio speakers are power hungry, and I am pretty sure that the Panasonic just doesn't have the guts it needs for my viewing habits.

The reason why I am leaning towards a lower end receiver (like an Onkyo 504) + a nice bookshelf pair, than the nicer receiver at this time, is that Dead's advice in the thread a couple of posts ago:

(prices in AVR/HD content equipment is likely going to drop in price within the next year, and enough HDMI 1.3 capable players/receivers should be market to drive the prices of pre-HDMI 1.3 lower)

seems spot on. If I get a good pair of speakers, (I am actually about to pull the trigger on some Onix Reference 1 Monitor Loudspeakers for $599 on sale, reg. $1200) they should last for a decade or so.

Everyone at AVS seems to gush about these speakers.

What do I know.... I just want to upgrade home theatre experience.
Old 02-08-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like a plan then. Get the nice speakers, and a bottom receiver. Then in 6 mos. to a year get a decent receiver and some other goodies!