Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Furnace makes my speaker pop

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everytime my furnace comes on my speakers pop if my receiver is also on. I'd like to get rid of this. I've tried both available outlets in the area and they're both affected by the furnace turning on. I assume this pop is being sent to my other electronics in less audible ways.

Is a line conditioner the thing that will take this away?

I saw someone recommend in a previous thread the PureAV PF60. Would this fix the current problem and be good for me as I foray into the world of higher end gear? (In the next six months I'm looking to upgrade to HDTV and a higher end receiver). PureAv also makes one with battery backup the AP30800. Would that be a better option? They both can be found between $150-$200.

Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by tlwizard; 02-01-07 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-01-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try leaving the receiver unplugged and see if the speakers still pop, in case the interference is coming from someplace else somehow (change in pressure?).

THe battery back-up conditioner would be useful if you have a TiVo or plan on a DLP set (possible other RPTV?) that way if you lose power, the cooling fans will still protect the bulb.
Old 02-01-07, 01:25 PM

Unplugging the receiver will cut all power being delivered to the speakers. Is that what you mean for me to do? When the receiver is turned off, the speakers do not pop.

Actually I can unhook the receiver part from the sub (I'm running for now the logitech z-5500). Should I do that, which will keep the receiver disconnected, but still drive power to the speakers?
Old 02-01-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ahh, it happens when the receiver is on, I though it happened all the time (unless it is always on )

Are your speakers running through the sub somehow?
It is easiest (and most noticable through the speakers). The furnace should not be on the same ckt as your living room, but could cause a large spike through the service (blower motor starting).

Maybe you could try the filter and see if that cleans it up.
Old 02-01-07, 05:07 PM

The furnace is in my living room, sitting next to the couch. I live in an warehouse-conversion apartment, and so my feeling is that they're probably both on the same circuit. I can hear the pop at the same time as I hear the furnace click (something with the pilot I assume) and the furnace starts blowing, but it's only during that click that I hear the speakers pop and only when the receiver is on.

I am looking at getting an RPTV (thinking the sony xbr2 but that can wait for another thread) and do have a tivo. Oh, and the speakers are running through the sub.

When you say I could try the filter, are you talking about one of the devices I mentioned up above or the cleaning the furnace filter?
Thanks for your help, jonw9.
Old 02-01-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for filter, I meant line filter, like the above devices you mentioned.

I don't know if there is a fan/lamp on the xbrs, but I would assume so, so a battery back up would be nice. I actually need to get one for my DLP.

If the speakers are popping through your sub (which I assume is plugged in) you could try running that off an extension cord to a different outlet and see if that solves the problem.

You could try this from radio shack, for $10 it could see if the problem is on the line. Then decide if you want a more expensive one for your entire system.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search