DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   42" HDTVs: Panasonic TH-42PX6OU vs. Pioneer PDP-4270HD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/491003-42-hdtvs-panasonic-th-42px6ou-vs-pioneer-pdp-4270hd.html)

caiman 01-29-07 07:27 PM

42" HDTVs: Panasonic TH-42PX6OU vs. Pioneer PDP-4270HD

I'm seeing that, at most stores, the Pioneer is significantly more expensive than the Panasonic. Yet the features seem very similiar, and reviews are positive for both.

Which do you guys suggest, and why? My main concern is picture quality. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I'm considering the 50" versions of both of these as well.

Sex Fiend 01-30-07 12:21 AM

Sorry, I have no answer to your question, but wanted to post because I am also considering the Panny TH-42PX6OU as an entry into plasma screen TV's. The online prices on it sound like a smoking good deal, and the reviews seem universally excellent.

So to anyone in the know, what is the catch?

mkdevo 01-30-07 06:06 AM

picked up 2 of the panny's from circuit city in november for $1169 each, and love them. SD content is decent, but i really don't watch much. HD looks fantastic, as well as upconverted DVD over HDMI. i highly recommend it.

SoSpacey 01-30-07 09:25 AM

i was convinced i was getting a Pioneer Plasma when I took the HD jump.

Then I stacked them up side by side and price v. price.

The Panasonic won. I couldn't justify spending an extra $1k on the Pioneer.

Is this you main TV? How far do you sit from it?

Sweet Baby James 01-30-07 09:40 AM

Panny all the way! Pioneer and Hitachi also make nice plasmas, but I actually prefer the performance of the Panasonic and the lower price of the Panasonic makes it a no brainer. If you want to spend extra $$$, then I would recommend the Panasonic 50 or 58 inch models.

Dead 01-30-07 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by caiman
Which do you guys suggest, and why? My main concern is picture quality. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I'm considering the 50" versions of both of these as well.

Most of the professional reviews I've seen rate the Pioneer a little higher than the Panasonic. With that said, I personally couldn't justify the $1000 or so price difference when I was plasma shopping. I'm very pleased with the TH-42PX60U though.

GreenEggs248 01-30-07 04:14 PM

We just got the 50PX60U a few weeks ago. We are loving it. I would have liked it more if the case was black instead of gray.

Phodg 01-31-07 11:00 AM

I also have the Panny 50" and would highly recommend it.

caiman 02-01-07 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
i was convinced i was getting a Pioneer Plasma when I took the HD jump.

Then I stacked them up side by side and price v. price.

The Panasonic won. I couldn't justify spending an extra $1k on the Pioneer.

Is this you main TV? How far do you sit from it?

Yes, it will be my main TV. My futon is about 8 feet away from the tv. I'm leaning towards the 50 inch.

caiman 02-01-07 03:20 PM

Yes, it will be my main TV. My futon is about 8 feet away from the tv. I'm leaning towards the 50 inch.

One more thing. I see there is a "commercial" version of the Panasonic. It's sleak black, unlike the consumer version. But it doesn't come with speakers, nor with an HDMI input. I don't need the speakers, and I read somewhere that I can buy an HDMI plug or something to compensate for the missing input.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions regarding this commercial model?

dick_grayson 02-01-07 03:27 PM

One more thing. I see there is a "commercial" version of the Panasonic. It's sleak black, unlike the consumer version. But it doesn't come with speakers, nor with an HDMI input. I don't need the speakers, and I read somewhere that I can buy an HDMI plug or something to compensate for the missing input.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions regarding this commercial model?

I have the 50" commercial model. The hdmi board is about $100 extra. There's also no stand or anything, but since I wall-mounted mine it didn't matter. The picture is amazing and I couldn't be happier. The wall mounting was very easy, by the way.

GreenEggs248 02-01-07 04:29 PM

a 50 inch screen may be too big for how close you will be to it. We began about 8 feet away and had to push the tv farther back.

caiman 02-01-07 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by GreenEggs248
a 50 inch screen may be too big for how close you will be to it. We began about 8 feet away and had to push the tv farther back.

Well, with dick_greyson's recommendation, I'm now considering wall mounting. This would give me an additional foot or so.

Another question: I'm new to HD. What are the drawbacks of buying an HDTV with no built in tuner?

Dead 02-02-07 09:45 AM

Another question: I'm new to HD. What are the drawbacks of buying an HDTV with no built in tuner?

If you're going to need an external tuner box to get HD cable or satellite, then there really isn't one. If you want to do OTA HD, then it would present a problem.

caiman 02-02-07 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dead
If you're going to need an external tuner box to get HD cable or satellite, then there really isn't one. If you want to do OTA HD, then it would present a problem.

And to get over the air HD, you need a big ass outdoor antenna, correct?

starseed1981 02-02-07 02:58 PM

Pioneer is actually a much better TV. Problem is that the average person will not be able to tell the difference unless you get the Pioneer professionally calibrated.

Misery 02-02-07 09:07 PM

I was going to get the TH-42PX60U but at the last minute opted for the TH-50PX60U.Both are excellent TVs and i'm very happy with the quality of the panasonic.Especially watching DVDs(non-HD). By the way if you purchase the panasonic I can send you a link for the professional calibration settings.Took me all of 30 seconds to calibrate my TV.And the results were astounding.