DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Can someone explain to me what DD dual mono is?

Old 01-27-07, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can someone explain to me what DD dual mono is?

Im watching a DVD that has DD dual mono track. Looking at the manual for my receiver says it a mono track with 2 separate languages but i'm switching the 2 channels on my receiver and both tracks are the same.
Old 01-27-07, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could you clue us in as to what DVD it is?
Old 01-27-07, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If my guess is right, a dual mono is where there is monaural sound passed into your front left and right speaker whereas ordinary mono will pass the sound into your center speaker.
Old 01-27-07, 12:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by eedoon
If my guess is right, a dual mono is where there is monaural sound passed into your front left and right speaker whereas ordinary mono will pass the sound into your center speaker.
You are right =)
Old 01-27-07, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Could you clue us in as to what DVD it is?
it's Death Race 2000 SE ...and theres only sound coming fom he center channel, not the front left and rights
Old 01-28-07, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to the specs, the DVD you are playing are indeed a 2.0 mono, so I have no idea why it's coming from the center channel.
Old 01-28-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eedoon
According to the specs, the DVD you are playing are indeed a 2.0 mono, so I have no idea why it's coming from the center channel.
If he's running his receiver in a surround mode by default it'll try to interpret the signal has Dolby Pro-logic and place most the mono audio to the center channel. If he sets it to an auto-detect type mode it should come through as a a left-right mono.
Old 01-29-07, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
If he's running his receiver in a surround mode by default it'll try to interpret the signal has Dolby Pro-logic and place most the mono audio to the center channel. If he sets it to an auto-detect type mode it should come through as a a left-right mono.
I have it setup in auto detect mode and it's still coming only from the center channel. It says in the manual that DD Dual Mono is a 2 language track in mono but like I said there is one language on the DVD. When I select between the 2 channels they are both the same. I think the way to get the mono soundtrack from the front left and right speakers is to set the receiver in stereo mode.Receiver is Pioneer VSX D812.
Old 01-29-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just popped in my Death Race and it comes up as 2-channel coming out of the left and right. Some receivers have auto-detect modes that allow you to specify all 2-channel signals should be interpreted as surround even though their not flagged as such. Sometimes it may not be obvious, but I still think that's what's happening. Do you have other stereo or 2-channel mono discs that play fine?
Old 01-29-07, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Just popped in my Death Race and it comes up as 2-channel coming out of the left and right. Some receivers have auto-detect modes that allow you to specify all 2-channel signals should be interpreted as surround even though their not flagged as such. Sometimes it may not be obvious, but I still think that's what's happening. Do you have other stereo or 2-channel mono discs that play fine?
Right now I'm playing The Birds which is also DD 2.0 mono (assuming this is the same as "dual mono". As with death Race, sound only comes out of the center speaker. Here is what the maunual for my receiver states about dual mono...

"The dual mono setting can only be used when listening to Dolby Digital and DTS signals with dual mono encoding. It is sometimes used when it is necessary to have one language on one channel and a different language on the other. With this setting you can choose which channel in the dual mono setting you want to listen to. If DD mode is switched on you will hear the channel you have selected (either ch1 or ch2) through your center speaker. With DD mode off, or if you don't have a center speaker, you will hear the channel you have selected through both front speakers.In the L ch 1.R ch 2 setting, the left front speaker will play channel 1 and the right front speaker will play channel 2."

All 3 settings (ch1, ch2 and L ch 1.R ch 2) play the exact same audio track.
Old 01-29-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dual Mono and DD 2.0 Mono are not the same thing. My receiver has a similar option, but I've never seen a disc with that feature. DD (Dolby Digital) 2.0 Mono should be played with your regular auto-detect setting, not the Dual mono setting on the receiver.
Old 01-29-07, 11:04 PM

so what is the difference between the 2 and why is it called Dolby Digital Mono when it's only one channel (center)?
Old 01-30-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because Dolby Digital does not mean surround. It is a software packaging system that allows for up to 5.1 discrete audio channels. You are discussing movies with less than 5.1 channels.

Isn't dual mono just where they encode 2 channels with the same audio? Decoders get confused and put all the sound in the center channel due to the nature of DPL algorithms. I always switch to a mono mode which simulates 4 channels.
Old 01-30-07, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Because Dolby Digital does not mean surround. It is a software packaging system that allows for up to 5.1 discrete audio channels. You are discussing movies with less than 5.1 channels..
Yes, I know that. I meant to ask why would it be called DD 2.0 mono when it is only one channel (center)
Old 01-30-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because it is stored as 2 channels with the same signal in each. You have to understand what happens in the receiver: Pro Logic takes a 2 channel signal and compares the 2 channels. Unique signals stay in their respective channels, identical signals get moved to the center, and out of phase signals become surrounds. So 2.0 mono becomes center only, usually.

That's why I switch my receiver to one of its mono modes. One of them plays it from both L and R speakers, the other makes fake surround out of it. Usually that one sucks.