Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help DVD recording issues

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got , for Xmass a DVD recorder with the intention of copying my old VHS collection to DVD. Some questions
1. I have only found 120 min capacity DVDs 4.7 GB at SP speed, are there longer DVDs that use SP mode?

2. Just ran up aganist a VHS that dosen't record and gives a note on screen that says Copy Protected. Can this be beat? What a shame.

3. What do I do with the VHS tapes after recording on DVD?

Thanks Striper Phil
Old 01-09-07, 02:53 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by a handle
I just got , for Xmass a DVD recorder with the intention of copying my old VHS collection to DVD. Some questions
1. I have only found 120 min capacity DVDs 4.7 GB at SP speed, are there longer DVDs that use SP mode?

2. Just ran up aganist a VHS that dosen't record and gives a note on screen that says Copy Protected. Can this be beat? What a shame.

3. What do I do with the VHS tapes after recording on DVD?

Thanks Striper Phil
1. Unless your recorder can handle dual-layer DVDs, that's it.

2. We don't discuss circumvention of copy protection on this forum.

3. Record over them? Throw them away?
Old 01-09-07, 04:56 PM

Not sure about the copy protection laws but diddn't think copying a VHS to DVD for my own use would be a violation even if circumventation is needed. Thanks for your answer.
Old 01-09-07, 05:02 PM

Anytime you have to break, or bypass copy protection, to make a copy of something, it's illegal in the USA.
Whether it be a VHS tape, a CD, or a DVD. Doesn't matter if you own it. It does not fall under the "Fair Use Act".
Old 01-09-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by X

3. Record over them? Throw them away?
Just last sunday I set 7 boxes of vhs tapes out with the trash. About 350 tapes of tv shows I recorded off cable that have come out on dvd(Get Smart, Hogan's Heroes, Advs. of Superman, etc.). Left the house for about an hour, when I got home someone had snatched them up. Wonder how that fits into the copyright laws.
Old 01-10-07, 09:21 AM

Do not take this as a request to break any site rules. My personnel opinion of laws Vs Constitutional rights vary from the common interpertation of copyright laws. Sorry but when I am in my house the laws stop at the door. Just look at trials of note it takes teams of lawyers months to interpert laws especially with respect to the Constitution. THANKS for the interpertation, I did need to know the going take on video copyright.
Old 01-10-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure about the copy protection laws but diddn't think copying a VHS to DVD for my own use would be a violation even if circumventation is needed. Thanks for your answer.
It's called macrovision, and both VHS and DVD have it. Neither can record properly from a MV-ed source.

But the most important question is why not record from a decent source? You presumably want to move to DVD because it is better. Recording from VHS to DVD only improves longevity.
Old 01-11-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do not take this as a request to break any site rules. My personnel opinion of laws Vs Constitutional rights vary from the common interpertation of copyright laws. Sorry but when I am in my house the laws stop at the door. Just look at trials of note it takes teams of lawyers months to interpert laws especially with respect to the Constitution. THANKS for the interpertation, I did need to know the going take on video copyright.

So what you are saying is that if I come over to your house and you kill me, its okay?
Old 01-11-07, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Just last sunday I set 7 boxes of vhs tapes out with the trash. About 350 tapes of tv shows I recorded off cable that have come out on dvd(Get Smart, Hogan's Heroes, Advs. of Superman, etc.). Left the house for about an hour, when I got home someone had snatched them up. Wonder how that fits into the copyright laws.

LOL I did about the same thing, except I ripped apart the internal tape before tossing...can't let someone else benefit from my hard work
Old 01-24-07, 05:21 PM

Thanks for all the help. No I don't kill my visitors but then again try breaking in at 2 AM waving a gun around and the Smith and Wesson alarm would probably go off!