Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best DVD player for avi and divx files?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to update my DVD player to a model that also plays avi and divx files. Some seem to be a little too cheap. Is it better to go with well-known brands or are any of the less expensive models to be recommended? Thanks!
Old 01-07-07, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Someone posted this link before . It tells you what model player is capable of doing.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

I currently have this player.
Magnavox MWD7006
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4810681

It has worked pretty good for my XVID encoded avi videos.

I think this Philips model (DVP642) is pretty popular here but I do not have that one.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP642...&s=electronics
Old 01-07-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have two philips dvp642 -- they are inexpensive, region free, PAL capable, and do a good job of divx/xvid playback.

kms
Old 01-07-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a comparison for the old gen DVP-642 and the newer DVP-5140.
642 vs 5140

I have both of these players and here are my "issues"
DVP-642. Great player but some of the files that had smearing or 'rainbow' colors(custom quantization matrices), you will have to hit the SYSTEM MENU key twice on the remote control. This workaround allows you to watch the file correctly.

DVP-5140. Seems like it takes longer to load the dvd or avi disc. my biggest complaint is that I can't foward to a "X' time in an avi file like i could with the 642. NO S-Video on this model, like the DVP-642.
I like the 5140 much better overall, though. I bought my component cables thru monoprice.com for ~$8 shipped. Great image on my 42 Panny Plasma.
Old 01-07-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the philips 5960, which is just like the 5140 except it has upconverting HDMI and a front USB port. I can't comment on the HDMI, but the USB is very handy, and the unit is only about $10-15 more than the 5140 at the Philips Employee store.
Old 01-07-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Here is a comparison for the old gen DVP-642 and the newer DVP-5140.
642 vs 5140

I have both of these players and here are my "issues"
DVP-642. Great player but some of the files that had smearing or 'rainbow' colors(custom quantization matrices), you will have to hit the SYSTEM MENU key twice on the remote control. This workaround allows you to watch the file correctly.

DVP-5140. Seems like it takes longer to load the dvd or avi disc. my biggest complaint is that I can't foward to a "X' time in an avi file like i could with the 642. NO S-Video on this model, like the DVP-642.
I like the 5140 much better overall, though. I bought my component cables thru monoprice.com for ~$8 shipped. Great image on my 42 Panny Plasma.
I also have both of these dvd players. Had the DVP-642 for over 2 years now.
Purchased the DVP-5140 a few months ago. I prefer the DVP-5140 model but for me there is one big problem. When displaying soft subs it only shows the first line of subs. Never the 2nd or third lines. So when it comes to playing divx/xvid with srt sub files I use the DVP-642 or my moded x-box.
Old 01-07-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My computer plays them both beautifully. Since that's where they came from in the first place, it's pretty convenient, too.