Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What do I exactly need in terms of cables, etc??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-01-07, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm buying the Samsung LNS4051D 40" Wide LCD HDTV this month along with the
Philips HTS-345 Code Free Version Home Theater System and I was wondering what else do I need in terms of cables, etc??

I'm kinda clueless when it comes to this stuff and I need some help!! I also plan to get the Comcast DVR and HDTv, so my place should be pretty nice.
Old 01-02-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shearerchic
I'm buying the Samsung LNS4051D 40" Wide LCD HDTV this month along with the
Philips HTS-345 Code Free Version Home Theater System and I was wondering what else do I need in terms of cables, etc??

I'm kinda clueless when it comes to this stuff and I need some help!! I also plan to get the Comcast DVR and HDTv, so my place should be pretty nice.
Well not sure how to help since you did not ask a specific question.

Did you read the manuals? Did the Philips come with any cables?
Old 01-02-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The HTS-345 only has Component out, and no input. Fortunately, the LNS4051D comes with 2 HDMI (I think v1.1) inputs, so you should be covered with the Comcast DVR. Unfortunately, it only comes with 1 component input which you will take up with the HTS-345. Make sure that you either get HDMI enabled devices, or a receiver with more inputs in the future.

Sum up: Get component cables, they are really cheap @ monoprice.com. Unless you want to spend a ton of money for a snazzy name, don't get Monster cables. They are essentially the same thing as what you will get at monoprice, just a whole hellova alot more money.
Old 01-02-07, 12:28 PM

Thanks. I actually haven't bought the HTS-345 yet, so what are the good region free home theaters??
Old 01-02-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. I actually haven't bought the HTS-345 yet, so what are the good region free home theaters??
First, I would recommend that you get a separate DVD player and receiver. As for region free, the Oppo series is always a great choice. the DV-981HD is the cream of the crop, but if you are looking a little cheaper the OPDV971H is a good choice also.
Old 01-11-07, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by gijon213
First, I would recommend that you get a separate DVD player and receiver. As for region free, the Oppo series is always a great choice. the DV-981HD is the cream of the crop, but if you are looking a little cheaper the OPDV971H is a good choice also.
wouldn't i have 2 buy speakers separately then?? i don't have a lot of money for all that and i really want a home theater in a box so i can just pay one price. anymore recommendations??
Old 01-11-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts
You can still get a "HT in a box" system with the receiver and speakers but no DVD player. There are lots of those around.
Old 01-11-07, 09:05 PM

why is better to get the dvd and receiver separately??
Old 01-11-07, 09:21 PM

honestly i don't even need region free anymore. i'll seldom buy other region dvds.
Old 01-12-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most (if not all) of the HTIB are a serious compromise in quality. The all in one do it all HTIB's offer very little in performance, they are designed to hit a price point. You are buying a nice display it makes sense to buy a nice DVD player to give you a quality picture. The HTIB sound systems are also a compromise but if its all you have in the budget the Onyko brand gets the best reviews.
Old 01-12-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what happens if the dvd player breaks? then you have a combo unit with only a receiver that works.

It always makes sense to buy seperates. Then you can upgrade as needed.

I will go as far to say it makes sense not to get a receiver but to get a pre/pro and a seperate amp/amps. Amps do not change over the years but the processors do. You can have an amp for 30 years and the technology wont change. A receiver/pre/pro will change very quickly.

I am done buying receivers. My next move is seperates although that may be overkill and 4 steps ahead of you right now.
Old 01-12-07, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by gijon213
Sum up: Get component cables, they are really cheap @ monoprice.com. Unless you want to spend a ton of money for a snazzy name, don't get Monster cables. They are essentially the same thing as what you will get at monoprice, just a whole hellova alot more money.

Do you recommend the regular component cables or should I pay more and get the premium cables from monoprice?
Old 01-12-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by HuBu
Do you recommend the regular component cables or should I pay more and get the premium cables from monoprice?

whats is the price difference?
Old 01-12-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The regular ones will be fine for short distances. Like, under 50'.