Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Re-upping an extended warranty: Yea or Nay?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just got a call from the place where I purchased my tv. They informed me that my extended warranty has expired and I can re-up if I like.

It is a two year old Mistubishi 55 inch widescreen rear projection tv. I have had no problems with it. The offer was 537.00 for 5 years, 322.20 for three years, or 179.00 for 1 year.

I really have no idea if I should even be considering this option. I know that these things can get expensive to fix and bulbs can be expensive too. However, I don't exactly have a ton of extra cash lying around, with it being the holiday season and all. I would love to get some thoughts about this and hear what others would do.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
If anything, I'd go with the 1-year, but that's it. If, however, you can find a replacement bulb for less than the price of the 1-year extension, you could probably get away without renewing.
Old 12-08-06, 11:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Shouldn't have bought the extended warranty in the first place, shouldn't re-up.
Old 12-08-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Shouldn't have bought the extended warranty in the first place, shouldn't re-up.
Do you know a place to get cheap bulb replacements, or something? Normally I'd agree with you, but I know that replacements can be expensive, too.
Old 12-08-06, 11:44 AM

For the average consumer, the cost of bulb replacement is cheaper than the cost of the extended warranty when you factor in the chances that the bulb won't need replacing. The house always wins (in this case, the retailer, who makes insane profit margins off the extended warranties).
Old 12-08-06, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
For the average consumer, the cost of bulb replacement is cheaper than the cost of the extended warranty when you factor in the chances that the bulb won't need replacing. The house always wins (in this case, the retailer, who makes insane profit margins off the extended warranties).

I understand this completely. I actually had the store offer to throw in the original extended warranty to sweeten the deal. I don't think I would have bought it otherwise. However, the reason why I was wondering if it is worth it now is beacuse the tv is two years older. I guess I wasn't sure if the increased chances that the tv will develop a problem made the offer more palatable.
Old 12-08-06, 11:53 AM

It certainly does increase the odds in your favor. Additionally, if something does go wrong chances are better that parts aren't available and you'd get a new TV.

Still, having worked on the other side of the fence with these things they are never almost never worth it.
Old 12-08-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Is the tv hd capable? Are you planning on upgrading to something in a flat panel anytime soon?

If the extended warranty covers bulbs and they are more than the cost of the warranty, then it is your call. If not than I would not get the extension at this point.
Old 12-08-06, 01:29 PM

Yeah, it is an HD tv. I really don't plan on upgrading anytime in the near future. I am guessing the picture I get on this things is better than any of the LCD, DLP or plasmas out there and I am not too concerned about the space issue. I will have to double check and see if the warranty covers bulb replacement, I believe it does, but I am not sure...