Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Onkyo died - recommend receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Naturally the damn thing would die before this HDMI mess gets sorted out. I hate to buy before there is a new crop of 1.3 receivers and they have been tested and dissected... but I just can't wait. Panasonic SA-XR57 is looking like the best bang for the buck unless someone has a different suggestion.

Background:
My old Onkyo 575x has gone spastic - sometimes it outputs sound and sometimes not. It isn't a connection or anything, it happens on different inputs and sources... the thing has just gone flaky and must be replaced.
It didn't quite hack it at 70 watts per channel so I would like to go a little bigger, especially for music. I was thinking Denon but I'm not going to plunk down $1000 when the standards aren't even settled.
The amp would be driving JBL studio series speakers; center, fronts, surrounds and a Sony sub.
I have an older 65" Mits (component only) so HDMI isn't really needed but I started the search with that requirement, so it would be in place when I upgrade the TV. However, research has led me to the conclusion that buying an expensive receiver at this juncture would be a mistake. I don't really want to buy anything right now but have little choice. If you had to buy an inexpensive receiver (~$300) right now to last 4 or 5 years what would you buy?
Old 12-07-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I would get another Onky or possibly a H/K. Or a less expensive Denon. I personally believe these are the best sounding units. And after sound quality everything else is a bonus.
Old 12-07-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I would agree with 2 out of 3, get another Onyko or Denon, you really can't go wrong.

Every company has their 'one off' defects and abnormal breaks, you roll the dice and you get what you get, but there is nothing wrong with Onkyo quality, statistically speaking.
Old 12-07-06, 10:02 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
Naturally the damn thing would die before this HDMI mess gets sorted out. I hate to buy before there is a new crop of 1.3 receivers and they have been tested and dissected... but I just can't wait. Panasonic SA-XR57 is looking like the best bang for the buck unless someone has a different suggestion.

Background:
My old Onkyo 575x has gone spastic - sometimes it outputs sound and sometimes not. It isn't a connection or anything, it happens on different inputs and sources... the thing has just gone flaky and must be replaced.
It didn't quite hack it at 70 watts per channel so I would like to go a little bigger, especially for music. I was thinking Denon but I'm not going to plunk down $1000 when the standards aren't even settled.
The amp would be driving JBL studio series speakers; center, fronts, surrounds and a Sony sub.
I have an older 65" Mits (component only) so HDMI isn't really needed but I started the search with that requirement, so it would be in place when I upgrade the TV. However, research has led me to the conclusion that buying an expensive receiver at this juncture would be a mistake. I don't really want to buy anything right now but have little choice. If you had to buy an inexpensive receiver (~$300) right now to last 4 or 5 years what would you buy?
I have the Panasonic 57 that you suggested, and in a word, I can't wait to upgrade. It has problems driving the Polk RT's that I have. It is almost like the receiver overheats, (as it kills audio functions for a second or two) but it will do it even after it has been on for 5 minutes or less.

Depending on your speaker, I can't say that I could gladly recommend the 57.
Old 12-14-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I went for the Panny. All digital, runs cool, lots of power and nice clarity, smooth sound. I like it very much. I know it has issues with some speakers but I decided to take a chance. I prefer it to the dead Onkyo it replaced. I think I'll be content for a couple of years until HDMI 1.3 gets sorted out... unless they suddenly decide 1.4 is needed.
Now if my new HSU sub would just get here...
Old 12-15-06, 12:08 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't that Panny only have 1 HDMI input?
Old 12-15-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mather
Doesn't that Panny only have 1 HDMI input?
Yes. Not an issue for me but would be for some. Large thread on the Panny listing all the + and - at AVS if you're interested.