Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is this what it's like for recovering addicts?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Okay, I bought a 42" LCD back in May - the Westinghouse LVM-42W2. So far, I've been quite pleased with it, aside from a few minor issues here and there. And, it delivers one hell of a picture. Additionally, at the time it was a great price, and one of very few models that actually accepted a 1080p signal.

Now, however, I see the Samsung HL-S5687W for less than 2 grand, and I'm tempted, yet again, to break the bank and buy the damn thing. Best Buy has a "No Interest until 2010 on home theater $999 and up" promo this week, which makes the whole thing even more tempting. Plus, I can probably sell the Westinghouse for probably $800-$1000 and recoup some of the funds. I know it's a stupid thing to do, especially since I'm trying to pay down credit cards and stuff, but the bite of temptation is quite painful. And, I'm a weak, weak person when it comes to this kind of thing.

This will probably pass eventually, but am I alone in this? Does anyone else ever have these urges? How do you rationalize when you don't want to think rationally?
Old 12-04-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This will probably pass eventually, but am I alone in this? Does anyone else ever have these urges? How do you rationalize when you don't want to think rationally?
By realizing that these deals happen every day of the week and are nothing special
Old 12-04-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also by realizing that what you really want is a dual Sony G90 setup that will cost $60000 just to get started. So you save for that instead of picking up a $2000 TV.
Old 12-04-06, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Also by realizing that what you really want is a dual Sony G90 setup that will cost $60000 just to get started. So you save for that instead of picking up a $2000 TV.
But what happens when I get that, and then shortly thereafter find an $80000 solution?

Actually, since I'm trying to finish my basement, I might end up investing in a projector, or something. I'll have a decent sized wall for one.
Old 12-04-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
But what happens when I get that, and then shortly thereafter find an $80000 solution?

Actually, since I'm trying to finish my basement, I might end up investing in a projector, or something. I'll have a decent sized wall for one.
And then you buy the best you can afford and enjoy it.

My theater is 3 years old, I have no intention of buying into the format war or upgrading my equipment until I have gotten many more years out of this stuff.

I am happy, that is what you should shoot for and ignore the marketing and hype.
Old 12-04-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
"Buying into the format war"

While the "format war" is a pretty stupid decision, as Josh Z. mentioned in DVD Talk's new HD column, it's a positive thing overall. It creates competition and it makes sure both sides are on their feet. My TV is 5 years old and I'm not seeing myself upgrading it for a few years since TVs are so expensive. But it was time to buy a DVD player and spending a few extra hundred for an HD one means I'm watching HD movies for years before everyone else who is watching the dust settle.

But, I don't want to get into that.

I just upgraded my other TV recently. I had a smaller HD set and I got one almost twice the size. It sounds silly, but out of all material posessions, Home Theatre / electronics really make me happy (or as happy as things can make you). For some people its cars, or clothes, or jewelry. For me, it happens to be this.

So, yes, go for it.
Old 12-04-06, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
It sounds silly, but out of all material posessions, Home Theatre / electronics really make me happy (or as happy as things can make you). For some people its cars, or clothes, or jewelry. For me, it happens to be this.
I wholeheartedly agree, and I'm the same way. What makes it easier is that I'm single. While that sucks on a few different levels, it does give me the freedom to do what I want, without having to check with my girlfriend/wife first.

And how long did you have your other HDTV before upgrading?

And is your advice to buy the Samsung?

Last edited by Vipper II; 12-04-06 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-04-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II

Well, that is the best. So then we'd start talking about audio.

PJs are very inexpensive these days. Light control and attitude are the biggest issues to overcome. By attitude I refer to most people's beliefs that PJs are (1) too expensive (2) too much hassle (3) too pretentious (4) too expensive. Oh, and too expensive. When people see my 90" setup (rather small for PJ owners, actually) they assume I've spent a small fortune rather than $1600.

The only one that is truly valid, IMO, is #2. They are more hassle, but not nearly as much as they were 10 years ago. Pay someone to install it if necessary and after that they are hardly different from other TVs.