Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

MITSUBISHI Ws-65807 RPTV and HDTV questions?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-29-06, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Hopefully I can get some help on this....

I have a 2001 MITSUBISHI WS-65807 , connected to a Kenwood receiver VR407, I have a Panasonic progressive scan DVD, and 5 channel surround sound. I have had this setup for over 5 years almost six and it has been outstanding for watching movies. (have 1200 SDs)

Well after waiting for my local cable to carry hi-def for years I finally buckled and got Dish network with a DISH811 HD reciever.

My TV has these capabilities (not that I have much of a clue what they mean)
1) Component 480i/480p
2) DTV YPrPb/GRBHV 480i/480p/1080i

So my problem is that I can't get my TV to recognize the HD signal through the dishnetwork receiver. The tech guy from Dish was absolutely no help.

I have double checked the connections and believe I have the correct cables attached but perhaps I am in error there. I am a little confused on all the various cables (HDMi, S-vide, ....)

SO my questions are this?

From my stats above it looks like the best I can get to visually is the 1080i..

1) will my television be able to support a HD DVD player?

2) If yes what type of HD-DVD should I being looking at? I have read quite a bit about upconverters. Will these take my existing SD DVDs and convert them to a higher resolution like 780 or 1081? Or does it take the Hd-DVD's and convert them so my TV can recognize the signal?

3) Do I need to get another HD adapter card? Or reciever to allow this TV set to accept Hd signals? If yes where the hell does it go on the TV? any sites that show how to hook up all the various components?

There is a lot of info out there but after hours of looking I am at a lost for this specific set. Most of the info I can find is on newer components and I am not exactly sure how mine fits in.

any help would be greatly appreciated here.

steve
Old 11-29-06, 06:23 PM

Do you have component cables running from the Sat box to tv? These would be red green and blue cables.
At a minimum you need component cables. With a TV from 01 you won't have an HDMI input
Old 11-29-06, 10:18 PM

I have from the sat box 3 black lines and white , yellow, red out to TV.

On the back of the Sat it looks like I have the HDMI plug in spot but not on the back of the TV. Likewise I have the red green blue hook ups on th eback of the TV but not on the back of the SAT box.

Any ideas on this? Is there some kind of go between switch
Old 11-29-06, 11:52 PM

I have a similar setup to yours Mits 65511 (no DVI/HDMI) and Dish 811

Originally Posted by masbrad

1) Component 480i/480p
2) DTV YPrPb/GRBHV 480i/480p/1080i
You will need a component cable (a.k.a. RGB, YPrPb ) from your 811 to the DTV input of your TV. You will need to go into the on-screen setup menu of your 811 (menu, setup, HDTV setup I believe is the sequence) and tell the 811 that you have a 1080i display.

Use the 480i/480p component input for your DVD player.

1) will my television be able to support a HD DVD player?

2) If yes what type of HD-DVD should I being looking at? I have read quite a bit about upconverters. Will these take my existing SD DVDs and convert them to a higher resolution like 780 or 1081? Or does it take the Hd-DVD's and convert them so my TV can recognize the signal?

3) Do I need to get another HD adapter card? Or reciever to allow this TV set to accept Hd signals? If yes where the hell does it go on the TV? any sites that show how to hook up all the various components?
If you decide to buy an HDDVD or Blu Ray player later, your TV will still accept an HD signal (through the DTV input) as long as the disc you buy does not have the IC (image constraint) flag active. AFAIK there are currently no discs in either format with this flag active.

If your TV has only 1 DTV input, you will need a switch that accomodates both the component feed from your 811 and a component feed from your future hi def DVD player. Your current AV receiver may already have this switching functionality.

There are some DVD players that will upconvert SD DVDs to 1080i over component. Not sure if any of the hi-def DVD players will upconvert SD DVDs over component.

No adapter card is needed. Your TV will accept any HD signal up to 1080i over the DTV input. Enjoy your TV!

-Karl
Old 11-30-06, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by kliiez8
I have a similar setup to yours Mits 65511 (no DVI/HDMI) and Dish 811
thanks you have been a BIG help and have helped me look up specific questions on my own

You will need a component cable (a.k.a. RGB, YPrPb ) from your 811 to the DTV input of your TV. You will need to go into the on-screen setup menu of your 811 (menu, setup, HDTV setup I believe is the sequence) and tell the 811 that you have a 1080i display.

Use the 480i/480p component input for your DVD player.

Ok my problem was that I has the RGB connected to the 480i/480p component. so I basically unhooked everything and started from scratch.
I am happy to say that I now have 1080i coming over on my few HD channels and they look great.

If you decide to buy an HDDVD or Blu Ray player later, your TV will still accept an HD signal (through the DTV input) as long as the disc you buy does not have the IC (image constraint) flag active. AFAIK there are currently no discs in either format with this flag active.

If your TV has only 1 DTV input, you will need a switch that accomodates both the component feed from your 811 and a component feed from your future hi def DVD player. Your current AV receiver may already have this switching functionality..
Ok my next task is to figure out to go about getting my surround sound and a new DVD player hooked into the system. My old DVD player crapped out so this is a good chance to upgrade. I am not ready to go to the HD-DVD yet but would like to go to the up-converted.

my questions are this....

using the 811 can a DVD player be ran through that using the HDMI hook up on th eback of the satellite box or would that somehow intervene with the signal that is going to the TV?

If I connect right to my TV I only have 2 blank component spots 480i/480p or I have the yellow, red, white.

My local sources for an upconverter DVD player only have HCMI connections and if I understand this right the ones online for component would only be able to upcovert to 480p based on my TVs connections? So what would you recommend doing in this case?

Finally my receievr and surround sound has a lot of connections for various things (VCR, DVD, etc....) However they all have the red, white, yellow connections. Should I run my TV through the reciever with these connections to get SS? Or do they need to go through the Sat Box?

thanks again Karl and everyone else who has sent me some feedback on this.
Old 11-30-06, 09:51 PM

Everything that you want surround from needs to run through the receiver.
Old 12-01-06, 08:59 AM

thanks you have been a BIG help and have helped me look up specific questions on my own
No problem Steve. I know this stuff can get frustrating at times

using the 811 can a DVD player be ran through that using the HDMI hook up on th eback of the satellite box or would that somehow intervene with the signal that is going to the TV?
I believe the HDMI connection on the 811 is strictly an HDMI-out interface. So you wouldn't be able to do this.

My local sources for an upconverter DVD player only have HCMI connections and if I understand this right the ones online for component would only be able to upcovert to 480p based on my TVs connections? So what would you recommend doing in this case?
You may able to find some DVD players that upconvert to 1080i over component. Check out this thread .

The difference between an upconverted 1080i image and a 480p native image may or may not be night and day.

I've had a panasonic S97 (480p over component) DVD player for over a year now, and I've been very pleased with the performance.

Finally my receievr and surround sound has a lot of connections for various things (VCR, DVD, etc....) However they all have the red, white, yellow connections. Should I run my TV through the reciever with these connections to get SS? Or do they need to go through the Sat Box?
If your audio receiver has an optical or digital coax connection (both called digital audio), you will want to use that input to receive the surround sound feed from your 811 and/or your DVD player.

If your audio receiver has only one digital audio input, it may time to upgrade if you want 5.1 sound from your 811 and a DVD player.

For times that you don't want to fire up the entire surround sound system, I would use the red/white audio cables from the 811 (and/or DVD player) directly to the TV.

Last edited by kliiez8; 12-01-06 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-02-06, 03:38 PM

If your audio receiver has an optical or digital coax connection (both called digital audio), you will want to use that input to receive the surround sound feed from your 811 and/or your DVD player.

If your audio receiver has only one digital audio input, it may time to upgrade if you want 5.1 sound from your 811 and a DVD player.

----Thankd again guys I think I have everything working now. I have the 811 connected as noted earlier getting the 1080i. I have on my reciever 2 optical connection. 1) went into my 811 and 2) went to my new Panasonic upconverting Dvd player. The DVD player is connected up to my TV via component on the 480i/480P input.

My receiver was the problem because originally it was connected to my old DVD player with 6 (3 red/3 white) cables AND the cable broken into front, surround, and sub woofer. The problem was that with just the optical cable I was getting no sound to the speakers. On the new DVD player there is only 1 audio spot and which ever i plugged in would only work (surround, front, sub-wof).

I dont know if I did this right but it seems to be working fine....

I connected ALL 6 directly to the TV and still hooked everything up as I had it above. I now get the DIGITAL Surround with DVDs in and get full stereo from all speakers (unless I turn off) while watching Satellite.

So it seems to be good but does anyone spot any things that I may have not done right or a way to optimize my sound better with what I have.

Thanks

Steve