Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Game console with projector (extensions?)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm asking about how people go about using a game console with a ceiling-mounted projector, specifically the issue with the video cables not being long enough.

With the Xbox it's no problem. Since standard cables connect to a breakout box, I just connect whatever length of cable I need. Now I realize what a nice design decision that was. With the 360 and Wii though, I would need extensions because the cables are proprietary. I don't actually have either console yet, but I should be getting at least one of them soon.

What kinds of extensions should I get? Are there one-piece extensions for component cables (with the jack on one end and the connector on the other), or would I need to get couplers to attach standard cables? Is the signal loss that noticeable?
Old 11-21-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am assuming you have them hooked directly into the projector? Have you ever thought about a receiver with all your inputs going out through one output? I have 5 inputs into my receiver and two outputs to my receiver (it would be one, but my ancient receiver doesn't do up-conversion, so I have to output s-vid also) I have 50' runs for both cables that I got off of monoprice.com and that works great.
Old 11-21-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I connect mine to my receiver since that is where my cables terminate
Old 11-21-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Monoprice.com is your friend.

I just ordered a 25' HDMI rated for in wall use for like $38.00 for my new PJ that I have on the way. I already have component and composite run.

Right now I'm using component switching on my HT theater, but Monoprice also has a nice remote controled HDMI switcher that I may eventually get.
Old 11-21-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My receiver doesn't have component video switching, so I need something to extend the component cables for now.
Old 11-21-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
My receiver doesn't have component video switching, so I need something to extend the component cables for now.
How about a simple component video switcher. Locate it near your equipment and then get the longer cable runs feeding to the projector?
Old 11-21-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clemente
How about a simple component video switcher. Locate it near your equipment and then get the longer cable runs feeding to the projector?
That's what I do. I use a $20 component switch box from Walmart that I hook up my Xbox, PS2, DVD player, and HD Cable Box to, then I run a single 25' component cable (from monoprice) to my ceiling mounted pj.
Old 11-22-06, 12:15 AM

Not to thread-jack but do any Wii and PJ owners know how long is the sensor bar cable? Are there aftermarket extensions available?
Old 11-22-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by onabudget
Not to thread-jack but do any Wii and PJ owners know how long is the sensor bar cable? Are there aftermarket extensions available?
It's 10 feet. Apparently, Pelican is working on an extension.

I will just get a switchbox, and I don't know why I didn't think of that. I will eventually need more than one connection anyway.
Old 11-22-06, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
It's 10 feet. Apparently, Pelican is working on an extension.
I hope someone comes up with a solution for long sensor runs.

My problem is not the location of the Wii itself but the distance from the screen to my gear rack
Old 11-23-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are female-female adapters for RCA cables if you just need to extend one cable. Or you could buy male-female extension cables, although there probably aren't too many places selling those. partsexpress.com and other places sell the adapters. Radio Shack, maybe monoprice.