Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recording Tivo to a DVD/VCR recorder

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-14-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts

Ok, not sure if this is the right forum, if not mods please move it.

Anyhow, we have a LG DVD/VCR recorder and an Tivo HD receiver. We recorded about 15 minutes of a talk show the other day, and want to put it onto a DVD. Why you ask, well it was for America's Got Talent tryouts, and my friend was on there, and they showed him on the show. Anyhow, we're trying to transfer the Tivo recording to the DVD or even VHS, we don't care.

The main question is what wires hook to what devices. The Tivo receiver has one spot for output and one spot for component. The recorder has a spot for input and component.

I guess it should be pretty straight-forward but it's not. Any ideas? I'll provide more info if necessary.
Old 11-14-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Svideo and analog audio from Tivo to DVDR. Done.
Old 11-14-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But if I used the output for audio, I'd get no sound from the TV. Wouldn't that affect the playback?
Old 11-14-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let me make it a little more clear. The TV has something like 4 or 5 inputs. Input 1 is the one he uses for the main TV viewing, red and white audio cables are plugged into this input. Input 2 has component which is hooked to the DVD Recorder. The rest are empty. The main video comes from the HD cable, I believe it's the one w/o the sound?

The audio cables plugged into input 1 are also connected to the output of the Tivo to provide sound. We tried connecting the audio-video cables from the Tivo output to the front of the recorder input, and got sound but no video.
Old 11-15-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh and your s-video solution didn't work. I just tried it.
Old 11-15-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If you recorded this in HD the S-Video output will not work. Not sure you can get this to work. I have a dvd recorder connected to my HD receiver and the only way I can record is to turn the HD off and watch through regular analog video.
Old 11-15-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should be able to run Svideo and audio from Tivo output to the DVDR input. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I have a DVDR and can easily record from 2 Tivos I have. All my stuff runs through my receiver, so it's a little trickier wiring, but same concept.

Oh, you have an HDTivo. (is that the DirecTV or the new Series 3?) You have to switch the output to 480i to get any video over Svideo. Sorry, forgot to mention that. You can't watch both SD and HD signals at the same time with the HDTivo. On the DirecTV model, you press Up (with no menu on screen) to switch output resolutions. In the menu you can set up which resolutions the Up command will toggle through. Mine is set to 720p and 480i, so it just toggles back and forth. I'm not sure if the new Series 3 is the same or not, similar I'm sure.
Old 11-15-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
If you recorded this in HD the S-Video output will not work. Not sure you can get this to work. I have a dvd recorder connected to my HD receiver and the only way I can record is to turn the HD off and watch through regular analog video.
I am not sure it was recorded in HD, the picture isn't anything spectacular.
Old 11-15-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does your TV have an optical audio input? Otherwise, you are going to have a couple not-so-great options for using that one audio output on the Tivo.

You can get a switcher. A receiver would do this, but if you aren't planning on getting a bigger audio setup there's no point. A simple push button switch might be the best choice (and very inexpensive), if you don't record very much to disc. It wouldn't be too much of a hassle to occasionally push the button. For more money you could get a remote controlled switch.

Or you could always just pull the plug from the TV and stick it into the DVDR every time. Probably not the best choice.
Old 11-15-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok he has a Hitachi 52 inch TV, not sure of the model number. The Tivo is a DirecTivo HD model 10-250 or whatnot.

We tried plugging audio/video to the front of the DVD recorder, and audio video to the outputs on the Tivo. We get sound, but no picture. The TV is always in 480 while we're doing this, so I know that isn't affecting it.
Old 11-15-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Does your TV have an optical audio input? Otherwise, you are going to have a couple not-so-great options for using that one audio output on the Tivo.

You can get a switcher. A receiver would do this, but if you aren't planning on getting a bigger audio setup there's no point. A simple push button switch might be the best choice (and very inexpensive), if you don't record very much to disc. It wouldn't be too much of a hassle to occasionally push the button. For more money you could get a remote controlled switch.

Or you could always just pull the plug from the TV and stick it into the DVDR every time. Probably not the best choice.
No optical audio on the TV, one on the Tivo, and I think on the recorder as well.
Old 11-15-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Ok he has a Hitachi 52 inch TV, not sure of the model number. The Tivo is a DirecTivo HD model 10-250 or whatnot.

We tried plugging audio/video to the front of the DVD recorder, and audio video to the outputs on the Tivo. We get sound, but no picture. The TV is always in 480 while we're doing this, so I know that isn't affecting it.
Might want to try asking over here

NOTE: DirecTV HD TiVos WILL NOT output a composite (S-Video/yellow RCA) signal simultaneously with an HD signal (Downconversion). Don't throw away that standard DirecTV TiVo just yet!
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=151443
Old 11-15-06, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Seems like a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. You say the audio/video are going from the Tivo outputs to the DSD-R inputs. Do you then have cables from the DVD-R outputs to the TV inputs? If so, you might have to switch the video source on the TV.
Old 11-21-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright I am in the same situation. I am getting on of the toshiba dvd recorders on black friday from best buy. I have a Comcast hd dvr, and one of those sony home theater in a box thingys from a few years ago (has 2 optical slots and one coaxil audio slot) And my brother has one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-AV-Sele...&s=electronics
what kind of cables would i need to buy if any.
Old 11-23-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To record on DVD, the best you can use is Svideo and analog audio for the input. For output you probably want component video and digital audio, sounds like your equipment can handle that.