Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Samsung 56" DLP HDTV (HL-S5687W) Should I Buy?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-12-06, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been finally shopping for my first HDTV.Have compared quite a few and this model seems very,very good.It is sales priced at $1999 at CC.Will be getting DirectTV HD in the near future and have a Toshiba upconversion DVD player.Does anyone have any advice?Would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you decide to buy the TV, then you can save some money by using the 10% of $199 coupon online in the Bargain section.

1999 Sale price on TV
- 190 Coupon
----------
1890 + Tax

You will also get a $100 Circuit City eGift Card!

Delivery or Pickup.
Old 11-12-06, 11:08 AM
Banned

Did you see this part?

The TV only has 960x1080 lines of resolution on the TI DMD chip which is the xHD3. It uses TI's SmoothPicture DLP chip (xHD3), which only has 960 lines of vertical resolution and has mirrors that create 2 pixels for every one on the chip. Which then gets you the viewable resolution of 1920x1080. HP invented the line doubleing technology and calls it wobulation .
Dunno anything about that but...
Old 11-13-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought this TV from CC.
I go the service plan, which includes 2 bulb replacements and some pixel/resolution protection.
You can get 60 days of price protection if you use the CC credit card. if you are buying now, that's the thing to do, expect it to drop this holiday season. I payed $200 more than you would be, so I guess I’ll be stopping by for an adjustment soon.

I'm not a big fan of projection TV, but this was the only one I liked. I don’t see any artifacts or anything.
Old 11-13-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been researching TV's as of late myself, but I only want a 50"

I was about ready to buy the Samsung 5087W (same as what you are looking at, only a bit smaller).

Serveral people have told me to get the Sony SXRD LCD Projection TV (KDS-50A2000)

or for you in a 56" one, would be this one.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

It is a little more, but it does not have a color wheel. It does still have a bulb that can burn out, but consumers reports rated DLP televisions the most likely to have problems (they don't really have enough hard numbers over enough time to make a solid statement)

I tend to keep TVs for more than 5 years, so I am worried about the DLP.

I have also looked at Plasma, like this Panasonic here

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Pla...&MFR=Panasonic

and I just can not make a decision. It seems like they all have their ups and downs and there isn't really a clear leader for price vs performance. Price aside, the Sony is kick ass (and I hate Sony as a company)

Factoring in price, and you have to, the Samsung DLP that can produce 1080p (the HLS series, you have to be careful with samsung model numbers) looks like one hell of a deal. I can get the 5087w shipped for $1500, the best I can get the sony for is $1800 and the above link to the Panny Plasma is about the best I have seen (these prices are all from reputable sources, sure you can get cheaper from shady places)

wobulation on the DLP unit is nothing to worry about. It draw half the screen at a time, but does it so fast that you can't see it. The screen really does produce a true 1080p output when the proper source is applied. The wobulation allows each mirror to control 2 pixels, the pixels really do exist.

This is one of the hardest decisions in home theater gear I have ever faced.
Old 11-14-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG
You aren't fucking kidding.. the whole TV buying process right now is annoying as hell.
Old 11-17-06, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the support.Finally made my decision and went with the Sony 50" LCD KDF50E2000.Saw the Toshiba 56" DLP in a few stores and did'nt like the way it handled the very dark colors.Lots of interference.I know it depends on the video source,but so do all the TVs playing at the time.A little less resolution,but not noticible to a non techy like myself.As long as I can enjoy my DVDs and soon to be installed Dish HDTV.Still have mostly non-HD programming and this set looks great.Maybe by the time i'm ready to upgrade again we'll have 100" screen size and about a dozen more TV technolgies.Will be even a harder decision.Going to break the set in watching Thunderball from my newly arrived James Bond Ultimate Editions V2 set.And yes I got it from DDD of course.
Old 11-17-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
I have been researching TV's as of late myself, but I only want a 50"

I was about ready to buy the Samsung 5087W (same as what you are looking at, only a bit smaller).

Serveral people have told me to get the Sony SXRD LCD Projection TV (KDS-50A2000)

or for you in a 56" one, would be this one.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

It is a little more, but it does not have a color wheel. It does still have a bulb that can burn out, but consumers reports rated DLP televisions the most likely to have problems (they don't really have enough hard numbers over enough time to make a solid statement)

I tend to keep TVs for more than 5 years, so I am worried about the DLP.

I have also looked at Plasma, like this Panasonic here

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Pla...&MFR=Panasonic

and I just can not make a decision. It seems like they all have their ups and downs and there isn't really a clear leader for price vs performance. Price aside, the Sony is kick ass (and I hate Sony as a company)

Factoring in price, and you have to, the Samsung DLP that can produce 1080p (the HLS series, you have to be careful with samsung model numbers) looks like one hell of a deal. I can get the 5087w shipped for $1500, the best I can get the sony for is $1800 and the above link to the Panny Plasma is about the best I have seen (these prices are all from reputable sources, sure you can get cheaper from shady places)

wobulation on the DLP unit is nothing to worry about. It draw half the screen at a time, but does it so fast that you can't see it. The screen really does produce a true 1080p output when the proper source is applied. The wobulation allows each mirror to control 2 pixels, the pixels really do exist.

Interesting that you are comparing such different sets...why are you comparing a 1080p set to a 720p? If you are ok with the 720p doesn't Sony have a rear projection set that is 720p that would save you some money?

Or if you really wanted 1080p, wouldn't you consider the 47" Westinghouse that is 1080p (LCD flat panel)?
Old 11-18-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am of the opinion that 1080p is a needless feature on a 50" or less screen where I am going to be sitting 12 feet back.

Basically the fact that a TV does 1080p is not affecting my decision, it is the other features of the TV that I want that include it on my list.

I bit the bullet and ordered the Samsung 5087W, it will be here in 2 weeks. For $1500, shipped, no tax, it was the best bang for the buck in my decision tree.

I do not like how direct view LCD TVs look, they are odd and I am not a fan. Westinghouse specifically, is not a brand I like period. LCD projections are not on my list either. Unless you consider the Sony SXRD LCD projection, but it isn't really. LCOS is slightly different.

I have a friend that has been selling home theater gear for 15 years or so, he is convinced the Sony SXRD is the only way to go. He said anything down from that and he would pick the Samsung that I ordered (he does not sell Samsung, but commented that at $1500 right now it was a steal and I should jump on it).

Only time will tell I know about a dozen people personally that own some form of the Samsung DLP TV (after I started asking around) and all have nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 11-19-06, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh certainly nothing wrong with Samsung. I myself have the 46" on my short list for my living room. I like DLP. I totally agree with you on the 1080p thing. But the best part of 1080p coming out is it has really dropped the prices of 720p model. I'm now considering a Panasonic 42" Plasma which can be had in the $1,200 range with careful shopping. While I've never been a HUGE plasma fan, I have seen the Panny in action in a good set up and it really does look very, very nice.

Good luck, let us know how you like it.
Old 11-19-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This particular Samsung - 5087W - is the smallest screen they offer with all the new technology.

I would not buy the 46" model you are looking at due to it being the previous generation DLP technology, nothing to do with it being 720p specifically, but there are more reasons that just 720p vs 1080p for the price difference.

Make sure the panny plasma you are looking at comes with EVERYTHING you want, like an HMDI card and a stand or wall mount. I have found that most places advertising the lowest price don't include anything but the base screen. You have to add $150 for the HDMI card and then $200 for the stand or $150 for the wall mount, so the price isn't as low as it looks. My link to the panny above was like this.

Costco seemed to have the best deal for the 50" panny with stand and HDMI card when I was looking around.

Since my wife will be the primary user of this TV, I fear burn in with the plasma. I also know she will never turn the damn thing off and a bulb is easier to replace than a whole panel
Old 11-19-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This particular Samsung - 5087W - is the smallest screen they offer with all the new technology.
This is the TV I advised my roommate to buy last week. I know he is looking at a couple others with one being a smaller 720p Sony. He is Mr. Cheapo so it won't surprise me if he goes for the cheaper set. I told him I'd buy the 5087W but he knows he would be up poop creek without a paddle if I were to move out since he is the big TV viewer of the two. Anyhow, you made a great decision.
Old 11-19-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would not buy the 46" model you are looking at due to it being the previous generation DLP technology, nothing to do with it being 720p specifically, but there are more reasons that just 720p vs 1080p for the price difference.

Make sure the panny plasma you are looking at comes with EVERYTHING you want, like an HMDI card and a stand or wall mount. I have found that most places advertising the lowest price don't include anything but the base screen. You have to add $150 for the HDMI card and then $200 for the stand or $150 for the wall mount, so the price isn't as low as it looks. My link to the panny above was like this.

Costco seemed to have the best deal for the 50" panny with stand and HDMI card when I was looking around.

Since my wife will be the primary user of this TV, I fear burn in with the plasma. I also know she will never turn the damn thing off and a bulb is easier to replace than a whole panel
Good advise, but no way we are going 50" for the living room. 46" is really pushing it and 42" would probably be about perfect.

I actually like those commercial Panny. You can configure exactly the way you want. But with the deals on the regular consumer model, probably go that route. I going to measure one more time and if by chance I can wall hang it and my wife like it, I'll go with one of the Panny's. Tho I still might even if don't hang it now, might in a different room in the future.
Old 11-19-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

5087w Product Dimensions: 45.4 x 32.3 x 15.6 inches (WxHxD)

4666W Product Dimensions: 42.8 x 32 x 13.4 inches (WxHxD)

I started out looking at the 46" because I thought the same thing, anything bigger would be too big for the space I was putting it in. The difference is really 2 inches in two directions. I got a tape measure out and I can fit it.

The faster color wheel, the 10,000:1 contrast ratio, and the 50" being the next generation DLP chip are what convinced me that I could spare another 2 inches

and all the people I know that don't really understand what 1080p is are impressed too

I understand if you just can't fit it, get a sledge hammer and make room
Old 11-19-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I understand if you just can't fit it, get a sledge hammer and make room
Oh I got the room. This is not going in a cabinet but setting on top of a "buffet" type thingy that my wife liked.

The issue is how something that big would look. And the price we want to spend. We spend a lot of time in our media room and I just ordered a new HD Projector. Right now in the living room we are using a 32" 10 year old CRT TV.
Old 11-20-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went and looked more today. The 50" Samsung 1080p was nice, but I didn't like the premium cost. Yes, there may be more to it then 1080p, but I didn't like added pricing.

I got to see the Panasoic 42" plasm (60U). Nice pic, but I didn't like all the silver on the framing. I did like the price of $1,299 and fatwallet has a couple of links on getting it even less.

It has also been noted that the Westinghouse 46" LCD (720p) is being clearing out at Sam's for $1,3XX. I really like the idea of going with a 46" set, but don't think I want bigger. I also want to keep it in less then $1,400.

Still looking....
Old 11-20-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I also want to keep it in less then $1,400.

Still looking....
The price on the 5087w varies like mad from store to store. I ordered from Fry's, best price going

I know $1500 is just a hair over your budget, but man, that's too close to ignore

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/483...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

you have to add to cart to see the price, it should show $1499. Call for availablility meant delivery for 1st week of December for me.

This also meant free shipping and no tax and made it one hell of a deal for all you get.
Old 11-20-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that is a very good price.
Old 11-21-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The price on the 5087w varies like mad from store to store. I ordered from Fry's, best price going
4KRG, do they offer an extended warranty plan?
Old 11-21-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
4KRG, do they offer an extended warranty plan?

No Idea, not something I ever buy on anything. I used my Amex Card to double the warranty, I know that works well

Give them a call, the sales people are friendly
Old 11-22-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn! 1080p to boot! I might be willing to trade up the 42" plasma I bought. Are there any big cons I should worry about if I consider this DLP? I'll be using it mostly for gaming but will eventually get in on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Man, figures this would pop up right after I finally decided to buy something.
Old 11-22-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

out of curiosity, how come it can only handle WXGA (1366 x 768) resolution when connecting a PC to it ? Being 1080p why cant it do WSXGA (1680 x 1050).

I've seen LCD 1080p tvs do this higher res.
Old 11-24-06, 03:13 PM

The HL-S5687W is what I am looking at buying too. I've shopped around quite a bit and found the best price to be $1829.99 at Amazon with free shipping. I'm assuming that I wouldn't have to pay tax either? I wanted to get this TV at best buy or circuit city, but the price is over inflated compared to the amazon deal. I'm doubting either place would price match off of amazon? The plan for now is to apply for amazon's rewards card. I'll put a good chunk of $ down on it, and paying off the rest in the 6 mo. 0% apr will be a cinch. Plus, the rewards off the amazon card should garnish me a couple of $25 gift certificates.
Old 11-26-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dazed
out of curiosity, how come it can only handle WXGA (1366 x 768) resolution when connecting a PC to it ? Being 1080p why cant it do WSXGA (1680 x 1050).

I've seen LCD 1080p tvs do this higher res.
I am curious if you have a link to support that for the 5087W? I will never hook a computer to it, so I don't really care for myself, but for others reading this and trying to decide.

Here at the samsung link

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/D...?page=Features

under the picture of the TV it states VIDEO, AUDIO, OTHER
if you click OTHER, you can then click PC Connection it states this is a WUXGA monitor

take the definition of WUXGA from here (and not from me )

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/w/wuxga.htm

I would ASSUME that you could produce a 1920 x 1080 screen from a computer. ***HOWEVER*** I am not certain of that, I haven't seen an owners manual and I do not have the TV myself yet.

I do know that MANY TV's can only display a lower resolution than their max when conneting a computer. This is the electronics inside the TV that cause the limitation. On some models you have to have a DVI to HDMI cable in order to get full resolution. I really do not have a definite answer on the 5087W yet.

PixyJunket the only real downsides to DLP are

1. the bulb WILL burn out after so many hours, it is $200 and user replaceable

2. there are moving parts that can fail.

Your plasma has

1. burn in issues
2. a half life by which it's brightness will suffer after so many power on hours

choose your poisen I am going with DLP because the up front costs seem less. I could be consumed by future bulb costs that will make the savings moot, we will see. I am worried about my wife burning the screen with 4:3, that is one reason I am not buying plasma.
Old 12-02-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had originally looked at the samsung canada site and so got my info from there.

It seems they have updated there site with the newer (and hopefully more accurate) specs.

This makes me very happy as I was considering DLP but since I want to connect my computer to it (for a HTPC) I thought I may have been forced to go LCD to get a decent resolution.