DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Oppo DV971H early impressions

Old 11-08-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oppo DV971H early impressions

I just received the Oppo DV971H along with an HDMI switch from Monoprice to add to my theater. These are my early impressions.

Oppo DV971H:

Excellent packaging, dvd player is in a black cloth bag with velcro attachments. It included the HDMI/DVI cable, remote, batteries and assorted generic rca cables. Player feels solid, very trim and stylish looking. Cool blue lights that are dimmable.

Connections were easy, the back panel is well labeled and easy to access. As with most remotes the buttons are small and there are too many of them. Reading the manual is a must.

Setup was relatively easy but I do recommend using the manual while you tweak and go though a setup disc or routine, as some things are not intuitive like the definitions of some of the functions.

This player is connected to my Sharp XVZ-10000U DLP projector via the HDMI switch box from Monoprice and a HDMI/DVI adapter. The switch box is smaller than I thought but highly functional, the small remote works well.

Oppo first impressions:

The picture on 1080i looks soft with some noticeable jaggies on certain material. There are several settings to work on this. Upon futher calibration with the Terminator 2 Special Edition, this was greatly reduced. The color was tweaked up and the audio was setup. There was little noticeable difference to my eye between 720p and 1080i.

The A/B comparison with my Denon 2900 (component connection) on Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (I have two extended editions) went as follows:

The color is better on my Denon than the Oppo but the dvd is smoother on the Oppo (on 1080i). On closeups the Oppo reveals more detail. The Oppo has several settings for picture quality, I need to investigate them futher to make a better determination as to their effect and usefulness.

The Oppo can zoom nicely and the picture holds together reasonably well even at 1.5x zoom on my 100" screen. Although the Oppo will not replace my Denon, I expect to find certain discs will look better at 1080i. The differences are not remarkable enough for me to give a wildy enthusiastic recommendation against my Denon,but the upconverting ability makes this a very useful addition to my theater.

Where the Oppo really was impressive was on some other discs. I noticed less noise on the new Blade Runner transfer when compared to my Denon, the helicopter scene in Apocalypse Now was impressive, both video and audio. I did not try Fifth Element or The Matrix. The Terminator looked impressive at 1080i and the audio of the Cyberdyne explosion was excellent.

I will continue to tweak and post a follow up. For the moment I am very happy with the Oppo and its ability to upconvert to 1080i on my system. The addition of the Monoprice HDMI switch will also allow me to add more devices over time as I have two additional HDMI inputs at my disposal now.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a replacement dvd player or a standard dvd player in the $200 range this is an excellent package. I wont list all the features here, you can visit the site yourself but the sheer amount of abilities on this unit is impressive.

Oppo

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

Monoprice

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10110&style=
Old 11-08-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great comments, Brian. Always interesting to see how the 2900 still holds up well against virtually anything else, 3.5 years later.
Old 11-08-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent comments...

Now if you could pick up an HD/Blue-Ray player and compare that to the Oppo....
Old 11-08-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Excellent comments...

Now if you could pick up an HD/Blue-Ray player and compare that to the Oppo....
Sorry that is not going to happen.
Old 11-08-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Sorry that is not going to happen.
Old 11-09-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oppo day two followup:

Well it certainly helps to rad the manual

After browsing for info on the net and reading I reset my projector to dot by dot mode and to 720p, I changed the Oppo to match.

In a word, WOW! What a huge difference with these settings. No visible motion artifacts, jaggies etc. The discs I used were Fifth Element (Superbit), LoTR, The Two Towers and Star Wars III, Revenge of the Sith.

I will continue to tweak and may now even load my calibration software to my laptop and further tweak the projector. The colors are still not as good as my Denon 2900 but that may be a futher tweak.

Very pleased with my decision, everything works great though the switcher.
Old 11-14-06, 07:01 AM

Sounds like a good buy. I'm thinking about getting one of these because I'm looking for a player that can handle all regions and that does up-conversion. I had never heard of Oppo until finding this forum, but it seems like it has many fans here.
Old 11-14-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vjack99
Sounds like a good buy. I'm thinking about getting one of these because I'm looking for a player that can handle all regions and that does up-conversion. I had never heard of Oppo until finding this forum, but it seems like it has many fans here.
I cannot comment on the region aspect but I am pleased with the performance of the player. I am continuing to fine tune the settings and will futher calibrate my projector this week.

Definitely a buy at the price!
Old 11-15-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

when i called OPPO they told me not to go with the 971H for DLP as it causes Macroblocking errors. The recommended the 970HD instead.
Old 11-15-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mmconhea
when i called OPPO they told me not to go with the 971H for DLP as it causes Macroblocking errors. The recommended the 970HD instead.
I have no issues with macroblocking on my Sharp 10K DLP projector.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 11-15-06 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-15-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
It's entirely possible that you won't even need any more solder than what is left there after you remove the old capacitor. Maybe just a bit of flux.

I can do it first and let you know how it goes.
Yea, let me know how it goes. I'm going to hold off ordering to see if by some miracle I can pick up a PS3. But if I can't, then I'm ordering a D1.
Old 12-02-06, 10:25 AM

I finally got my new Oppo 971H hooked up last night. After a bit of trial-and-error and actually having to go back and read the manual, I got it set up to do upconversion at 1080i. What a difference! Standard definition DVDs now look almost as good as the HDTV I get through cable. I'm kicking myself for not getting one of these sooner.
Old 12-02-06, 02:24 PM

I REALLY need to know what everyone thinks on this situation. I hate ordering online and waiting for the product, etc. So, I was looking at upconversion players at bestbuy. The Sony DVP-NS75H is $100.22 with my discount and after researching, I have found out it got amazing reviews. Should I get the Oppo 970 or this sony product? The sony is about 50 bucks cheaper not including shipping, but then again it doesn't come with an hdmi cable. This isn't too big of an issue (I get discounts on those too.) So basically I want to know, is the oppo in any way better than the sony? I really like the asthetics of the sony as well.

I appreciate your comments!
Shane
Old 12-03-06, 01:02 PM

Im new to the forum and would like to say hello first.

I have a samsung HLN617W dlp with a denon 5.1 reciever. niether are HDMI compliant. I have dvi and component inputs. I'm looking for a upconverting dvd player to replace my sony.

I've read that not all HDMI players will allow 5.1 audio by the coaxal cable only with HMDI. Im not that savy on the different HD formats, this was taken from cnet review..

The HLN617W's jack pack, on the other hand, is among the best we've seen. It includes two component-video inputs that take 480p, 720p, and 1080i sources and a third for 480i and 480p. The DVI input has HDCP copy protection, so it can connect to next-generation HDTV receivers and high-end computer video cards. A standard VGA-style computer input is also on tap (it accepts a resolution of up to 1,024x768 pixels at 75Hz

First would this player give me 5.1 to my reciever through the coaxal input?

would I get 1080i upconversion or close to it with using the dvi connection?

Last any other dvd players under 200 that would be as good for less.

Thanks in advance.

Evan
Old 12-04-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davethomasowns
I REALLY need to know what everyone thinks on this situation. I hate ordering online and waiting for the product, etc. So, I was looking at upconversion players at bestbuy. The Sony DVP-NS75H is $100.22 with my discount and after researching, I have found out it got amazing reviews. Should I get the Oppo 970 or this sony product? The sony is about 50 bucks cheaper not including shipping, but then again it doesn't come with an hdmi cable. This isn't too big of an issue (I get discounts on those too.) So basically I want to know, is the oppo in any way better than the sony? I really like the asthetics of the sony as well.

I appreciate your comments!
Shane
In order to know this they would have to be compared side by side.

I used the info on the dvd benckmark site to compare players

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

The new 981 is up also

http://www.oppodigital.com/
Old 12-04-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I'm thinking about buying one of these types of players right now and noticed that the 970HD is $149 and the 971H is $199. Is the 971H really worth the extra $50?
Old 12-04-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slowcloud
I'm thinking about buying one of these types of players right now and noticed that the 970HD is $149 and the 971H is $199. Is the 971H really worth the extra $50?
You need to read the differences on the Oppo site, it depends on what you need and how you need to connect.
Old 12-06-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been curious about this player for quite some time. Just curious if it is worth picking up for the higher resolution output.

I had been using a Philips 727 (480p) on a 27" LCD, for a couple years now with no problem. I recently upgraded to a 32" LCD set and noticed that with my old player and my new TV, it tended to pull out a lot of the imperfections running in 480p. I also have the option of HDMI on this new set as well.

Would I notice the difference on my DVD's using this player (the Oppo) and going from 480p to 720p?
Old 12-06-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I've been curious about this player for quite some time. Just curious if it is worth picking up for the higher resolution output.

I had been using a Philips 727 (480p) on a 27" LCD, for a couple years now with no problem. I recently upgraded to a 32" LCD set and noticed that with my old player and my new TV, it tended to pull out a lot of the imperfections running in 480p. I also have the option of HDMI on this new set as well.

Would I notice the difference on my DVD's using this player (the Oppo) and going from 480p to 720p?
On that size set I believe the differences would be minimal.
Old 12-06-06, 12:27 PM

I think it would also depend on how far away you sit from the set.
Old 12-06-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now I'm curious about the Oppo offerings. I have an old Daewoo player which has served me well (region free, macrovision free), but now that I'm getting the system in my sig, I've been thinking about one of these.

The main question I have is - would an Oppo player do a better job upconverting than the Toshiba HD-A2? I've heard the HD-A1 did quite well, but the dvd benchmark has it at an 84 whereas the Oppo was at 98. Since I have a bunch of SD DVDs, I'd like the best upconverter to play them.

So many options with this new technology. Also, since my TV can do 1080p, would the 981 be a better option? Or should I let the TV convert a 1080i to 1080p? I'm thinking 1080p would be the best option.

Jeez...too complicated. Now I realize if I do get one of these, my receiver only has two HDMI inputs which I was going to use for Cable and HD-A2. And I don't really want to get an HDMI switch if I don't have to. Guess I'll just switch with the HD-A2.........
Old 12-06-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
On that size set I believe the differences would be minimal.
Thanks. I wanted to make sure before I dropped $150+ on the player. I'll probably have to fidgit around with my new TV to get it calibrated right.
Old 12-06-06, 10:38 PM

I gave in and ordered the 970 today. Used amazon prime so I should have it on Friday!
Old 12-09-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So...is the only way to get the Oppo through an online retailer? I have seen it on Amazon and such...but I can't walk into a store like Best Buy and purchase it and bring it home tonight???

It has to be shipped?
Old 12-09-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
So...is the only way to get the Oppo through an online retailer? I have seen it on Amazon and such...but I can't walk into a store like Best Buy and purchase it and bring it home tonight???

It has to be shipped?
As far as I know that is correct, check the Oppo site to see what they say.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.