DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Can some comment on the Sharp Aquos 37" Model: LC-40C37U? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/482913-can-some-comment-sharp-aquos-37-model-lc-40c37u.html)

Chip718 11-07-06 11:32 AM

Can some comment on the Sharp Aquos 37" Model: LC-40C37U?

Hello. My local Costco is sell a Sharp Aquos 37" Model: LC-40C37U. I was wondering if anyone could comment on this model? I read some where that different model Aqous'(?) are made in different factories, but I cannot find out anything on this particular model.

Any info would be appreciated.

heavywear 11-07-06 10:40 PM

I'm not sure how different they are but I own a Sharp AQUOS LC-37D40U. I bought a Toshiba and a Sony and returned them both (and I REALLY wanted the Toshiba to work as a got a great deal on it). The Sharp just really looks great, even with SD material, VHS. HD-DVD and HDTV looks awesome

Aaron Campagnone 11-08-06 07:30 AM

I was going to chime in with the exact oposite of heavywear. I looked at that model when i was buying and found the sharp line to look like crap with SD material...yes the HD looked awsome, but since 50-80% of what you will most likley watch is still SD its important for the SD to look good. I would recomend that you get a cheap (the cheaper the better) portable dvd player, a set of RCA cables, and a really badly mastered DVD (kids cartoons or the hellish Cutthroat Island are good "bad" dvds) and take them around to the demo units at your local store. I did this and was frankly amazed at the diffrences in quailty you will see between sets. I personaly found that the sharp did not look anywhere near as good as other LCD units in its price range or lower even. In fact the westinghouse cheepo looked just as good. Your opinion may vary, but this test will give you a worst case scenario and avoid the shock of craptacular video from your SD content once you drop $2k on a LCD and mount.

I ended up getting a sub$1k ProView. It looked better for SD content (again my opinion) that the sharp, was 800 cheaper, and the HD looked almost as good. I have been very very happy.

movieking 11-08-06 07:57 AM

I got this TV as well, and find the SD perfectly fine on it. The HD is awesome.

Chip718 11-08-06 03:01 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to jump on this. It sounds like a great choice, especially at the price.

Thanks again.

The Bus 11-10-06 01:10 PM

I'm now on my second Sharp Aquos. I think they're great TVs and probably the best option if you go pure LCD (in my opinion). Some mentioned they are expensive but if you wait for a sale, that's not as much of an issue.

wiz 11-14-06 08:38 AM

I personally have 3 Sharp Aquos TV's. I have a 20" non-HD in the kitchen, a 32" HD widescreen set in the bedroom and a 45" HD widescreen set in the living room over the fireplace. All 3 have a great picture. Of course they really excel with HD content, but both regular DVD's (hooked up via Component) and SD cable look fine on both. I think the biggest thing about a lot of these LCD TV's is to not be too close to the action. When I get right up on my 45" set I can notice that the picture is not pristine, but when you are sitting 6'+ away, it looks beautiful. I am very pleased with all 3 of these sets.

heavywear 11-14-06 09:25 AM

I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting the 45"