DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDMI switcher questions?

Old 11-04-06, 07:32 PM

HDMI switcher questions?

Quick question........I have the 5x1 HDMI Monoprice switcher.....I have it connected to the back of my 525 H/K receiver's power supply!

That way the HDMI switcher only has power when the a/v receiver is turned on...is this the best way to use the switcher?

Or do I need to leave it on all the time?

Basically what i'm asking is...does leaving it on all the time eventually weaken the internal parts over the years?Or will powering it on atleast twice a day cause worser harm than the above mentioned?
Old 11-05-06, 07:59 AM
Cool New Member

I leave mine on 24x7 as it's a passthrough between my satellite receiver (also on 24x7) and my TV.
Old 11-05-06, 11:24 AM

Sean Lee the owner of Monoprice e-mailed me back and told me that it would probley pro long the life of my 5x1 Hdmi switcher if I left it connected to my a/v receiver(switcher only has power when a/v is turned on)....GO figure...
Old 11-08-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I am leaving mine on since the adapter plug is too large to fit into the switched outlet on my receiver.

I can't see how leaving it on can hurt anything.
Old 11-08-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by quickfire
...does leaving it on all the time eventually weaken the internal parts over the years?Or will powering it on atleast twice a day cause worser harm than the above mentioned?
I imagine if thru the many years it did weaken the components inside, by the time it actually happened HDMI would be obsolete any way....
Old 11-08-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Usually cycling power is more detrimental than leaving it on. But either way should last years.