DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Buy New DVD, VCR and Receiver

Old 11-04-06, 01:11 PM
Cool New Member

Buying New DVD, VCR and Receiver

Hi,

Because of recent massacre that wiped out my home theater (aka power surge), I have to buy new dvd player, vcr and stereo receiver (I am assuming my 5.1 speakers survived the massacre) along which new TV (which is dying, but unrelated with power surge).

I got $400 as compensation for those 3 things (and alarm clock). As with TV, I'm a bit confused with these.

I live in studio apartment and so didn't use receiver often. So basic, solid one would be sufficient, I think.

I want to buy dvd & vcr combo, but I also want to buy upconversion and if it's code free, it would be even nicer. I'm a bit nervous about DVD because I recorded a lot of DVD-R's and I noticed that some do not play well with other people's DVD player. My DVD recorder is DMR-E55 (My old player was Pioneer DV-C503, with which I was satisified.)

Some stuff that I looked at are:

Sony DVD-NS75H $115 (upconversion)
Panasonic DVDS52S $90 (upconversion)
Sony DVD-NC85HB $128 (upconversion, 5-disc)
Samsung DVD-V9650 $116 (upconversion, combo)
Sony SLV-D570H $170 (combo, HDMI)
Sony SLV-N750 $80 (VCR only)
Sony DVD-NC85HB (upconversion, 5-disc)

(PS: I now have Belkin Surgemaster 2950 Joules. It's for computer, but I'm assuming it will protect TV's and stuff, too, right? Is that sufficient for 40-50" tv and assorted home theater equipments?)

Last edited by Pierrot; 11-04-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-06-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I will try to help since you have had alot of views and no responses.

IMHO $400 is not much for the items you have listed. Not sure what you need in a receiver since you did not list the speakers you own. As far a vcr/dvd comobs i am not a fan and know nothing about them. The surge protector will work, it does not matter what the size of your tv is. Just make sure it has enough outlets for everything.