Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice on a DLP or CRT HDTV to buy?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I decided for my 21st birthday I'm finally about to take the move into HD. I have been looking into gettin a samsumg DLP such as this or the 46 inch version. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL-S42...&s=electronics
Or possibly this 34 sony CRT http://www.amazon.com/Sony-WEGA-KD-3...&s=electronics
They will have to go in my room, but I measured and i Have up to 7 feet to put between me and the tv.
I will use this tv for alot of video games, and dvd's, actual tv viewing is lower on the list.
I am weary about dlp because I hear about these small delays between the controller and the actual on screen actions when playing older video games that run 480i and also because my friend has one and anything that isn't hd or dvd just looks plain ugly, But I do plan on buyin that DVE calibrating dvd which should hopefully eliminate some of that.
I was wondering what your opinions on these two tv's are and which would be better for what I plan on doing with them.( or similar tv's in the 900-1100 price range) Thanks Alot
I can't wait ,I have my surround sound, a real nice leather recliner, my dvd collection of course, and my current tv is a 19inch unlabeled brand so i figure I can't go wrong ...or at least worse then my currnet tv.
Old 11-02-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the Samsung DLP's fixed the delays. I just replaced an old 50" Samsung DLP and loved it except for the delays. IMO 34" is way too small for 7 feet away. If you were closer thou gh, I'd say get the crt.

Any possibility of going with a projector? I just got an HD70 for $999 and its beautiful. I placed a pull up screen in front of my windows to reduce lighting issues during the day.
Old 11-02-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
I don't play video games (tho my kids do), but 34" is almost a "portable bedroom set" by todays standards. If you are watching DVD's, I'd get as big as possible. The TV's are so sharp today.

Now if you really wanted big and stay on a budget you should:

a) look at a 720p projector (HD70 was mentioned and probably a good choice, but some of the LCD's have also come way down in price)
b) if you have the space, consider a CRT RP
Old 11-02-06, 01:20 PM
Suspended

CRT is the best picture quality simply for its black level in dark scenes, but 34" is pretty tiny. Of course I'm used to front projection, so even my 55" HDTV looks really tiny.

I'd go with a front projector like Kaze0 suggested and maybe add a cheap 25-32" set. Once you go big you don't go back. Not all that long ago you couldn't find a decent 720p DLP pj under $2,500 and now it's possible to own one for $900-$999. Sometimes less if you find coupons and such.

Hell, even a $400-$600 854x480p Enhanced Definition projector like the Infocus 4805 is down right stunning, especially with HD or HD gaming. There's nothing like having your own theater screen four times (or more) the size of a 55" "big screen" tv. Mine is 8' wide (about 110" diagonal, over 9'). An XGA resolution unit like the Sharp XR-10x can be had for $600-$800. So can a unit like the HC900U.

Front projection is simply the best deal in home theater by far. The dollar per inch plus the immersive factor simply blows RPTV out of the water.

This is front a slightly more than $500 Infocux 4805 projector on a DIY screen taken with my camcorder (actual quality in person is much better):

Last edited by Slayer2005; 11-02-06 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-02-06, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

I have a Tobishki 34" tube and absolutely love it. I think crutchfield has it for less than 900 now.
Old 11-02-06, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
CRT is the best picture quality simply for its black level in dark scenes, but 34" is pretty tiny. Of course I'm used to front projection, so even my 55" HDTV looks really tiny.

I'd go with a front projector like Kaze0 suggested and maybe add a cheap 25-32" set. Once you go big you don't go back. Not all that long ago you couldn't find a decent 720p DLP pj under $2,500 and now it's possible to own one for $900-$999. Sometimes less if you find coupons and such.

Hell, even a $400-$600 854x480p Enhanced Definition projector like the Infocus 4805 is down right stunning, especially with HD or HD gaming. There's nothing like having your own theater screen four times (or more) the size of a 55" "big screen" tv. Mine is 8' wide (about 110" diagonal, over 9'). An XGA resolution unit like the Sharp XR-10x can be had for $600-$800. So can a unit like the HC900U.

Front projection is simply the best deal in home theater by far. The dollar per inch plus the immersive factor simply blows RPTV out of the water.

This is front a slightly more than $500 Infocux 4805 projector on a DIY screen taken with my camcorder (actual quality in person is much better):

You get cool points just for having Smallville on your TV!
Old 11-02-06, 06:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
And it only took 4 posts to get the expected response!

I could have made money on that bet.