DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about TIVO equipment

Old 11-02-06, 10:03 AM

Question about TIVO equipment

This week over in the bargains forum for next weeks Target ad Speedy has listed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy1961
HI DVDTalkers!

Got the Target circular for 11/5/06 - 11/11/06 in my hands.

Please be aware of the following:[list][*]TIVO 80 Hour Box // Model TCDD540080 >>>>> $219.99 PLUS THERE IS A $220.00 Mail In Rebate Available!!!!!

That's All Folks!

Have a Good Week!

I have been thinking about getting TIVO for a while now. I looked online at this model but never having dabbled any with TIVO was wondering if anyone that uses TIVO could tell me if this would be a good model to pickup or if there would be a better model I should look into. FREE is really hard to beat. lol. Any help or comments would be very appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-02-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well nothing is ever free. You will still need to pay the subscription fees. Here is a link to the box in question.

http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.a...series280hrDvr

I have Tivo with my Direct TV and love it. Easy to use and program and my wife no longer wants to know why we have so many channels and nothing to watch.
Old 11-02-06, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well nothing is ever free. You will still need to pay the subscription fees. Here is a link to the box in question.

http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.a...series280hrDvr

I have Tivo with my Direct TV and love it. Easy to use and program and my wife no longer wants to know why we have so many channels and nothing to watch.
So true. Nothing ever really is free. The monthly fee had slipped my mind.
Thanks for the link! It appears to be a nice model. I hear so many good things about Tivo. I see this model can go wireless. Anyone have any experiences with that? Does anyone do any D/L to their PC to burn off things?
Old 11-02-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by NeilJ
So true. Nothing ever really is free. The monthly fee had slipped my mind.
Thanks for the link! It appears to be a nice model. I hear so many good things about Tivo. I see this model can go wireless. Anyone have any experiences with that? Does anyone do any D/L to their PC to burn off things?
Mine is set-up wirelessly. Basically, it updates my show schedules, etc. and I can upload my shows I want to keep onto my computer, but you can not burn them to a disk or something. They are only there for your viewing pleasure to free up HD space on the tivo.

there may be a hack. check out tivocommunity.com
Old 11-02-06, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Mine is set-up wirelessly. Basically, it updates my show schedules, etc. and I can upload my shows I want to keep onto my computer, but you can not burn them to a disk or something. They are only there for your viewing pleasure to free up HD space on the tivo.

there may be a hack. check out tivocommunity.com
Wow! Thanks for that tip. I have no desire for Tivo if there is no way to burn anything you might decide to keep off on a dvd. I will check out the tivocommunity thing to see whats out there about that.
Old 11-02-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by NeilJ
Wow! Thanks for that tip. I have no desire for Tivo if there is no way to burn anything you might decide to keep off on a dvd. I will check out the tivocommunity thing to see whats out there about that.
why do you need it on DVD? It will be on your computer and you can watch it on any computer or any TV with a media pc connected (or similar device) in your house.

its like being in a "paperless" office.
Old 11-02-06, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
why do you need it on DVD? It will be on your computer and you can watch it on any computer or any TV with a media pc connected (or similar device) in your house.

its like being in a "paperless" office.
There are times when I have interest in a show and take it to someone else's house to view on their dvd setup.
Old 11-02-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can easily burn them with a standalone burner via Svideo cables. I do it all the time.
Old 11-03-06, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
You can easily burn them with a standalone burner via Svideo cables. I do it all the time.
Excellent! Thanks!!
Old 11-03-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, you can burn the files to DVD within the "rules".

Using TiVoToGo via the TiVo Desktop you install on your PC, you can transfer files from the TiVo over your wireless connection. Once that's done, you have a file in a ".tivo" format. You're then required to use "MyDVD" to author that to play on a DVD player.

There's a free trial available:
http://estore.sonic.com/upgrades/tiv...o01150503&MID=

BTW, TiVoToGo is NOT available on the Series 3 units, only Series 2 (like the one in the link above).
Old 11-06-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I started down this road a year ago and spent many a night figuring out the best possible method to create high-quality DVDs from Tivo recordings. Here is a short summary of my findings:

Be aware that you will either have to burn a non-compliant DVD or re-encode the video and audio. The SA Tivos record in various resolutions and encode the audio in a manner that is not strictly DVD compliant.

To be strictly DVD compliant one of the following resolutions and encodings should be pressed to the disc:

720x480 MPEG2 video, AC3 or PCM audio
704x480 MPEG2 video, AC3 or PCM audio
352x480 MPEG2 video, AC3 or PCM audio
352x240 MPEG2 video, AC3 or PCM audio
352x240 MPEG1 video, AC3 or PCM audio

Here are the Tivo formats (from memory so don't crucify me if I'm wrong on a minor detail):

Best Quality: 544x480 MPEG2 video, MP2 audio
High Quality: 480x480 MPEG2 video, MP2 audio
Medium Quality: 352x480 MPEG2 video, MP2 audio
Low Quality: 352x240 MPEG2 video, MP2 audio

So to create a strict DVD-compliant disc you must either record low quality video on the Tivo and just transcode the audio or transcode the video and audio of a higher quality recording. This takes quite a bit of time and results in a poor quality recording.

You do have the option of pressing a non-compliant DVD. The closest "standard" is SVCD at 480x480 MPEG2 video and MP2 audio. I have pretty good luck playing these discs on low-end import DVD players but my name-brand DVD players choke on them.

Note: if you can find a DVD Tivo on clearance somewhere, they natively encode in DVD compliant resolutions.

Skip the Sonic MyDVD package. It causes more problems than it solves. Download the following:

TivoDesktop (free)
VideoReDo (2 week trial, $50 to buy)
DVDStyler (open source)
ImgBurn (open source)

For more info, check out Tivo Community.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 11-06-06 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-06-06, 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=Pistol Pete]I started down this road a year ago and spent many a night figuring out the best possible method to create high-quality DVDs from Tivo recordings. Here is a short summary of my findings:

Thanks for the very informative reply Pistol Pete! I really appreciate it. I really think that Tivo is something I am going to hold off on getting into for a while longer and see what their next generation Tivo's will do. Also if anyone else is interested I noticed pretty much everyone has this model of Tivo for free after rebate this week.
Old 11-06-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Series 3 TiVos are out now: In order to get the Cable companies to sign-off on the cablecard slots, TiVo had to give up the TiVoToGo ability. It's available to be turned on, but is currently disabled in the Series 3.

There are many in the know who think this functionality will never be made available in this new unit.

You may be forced to stick with Series 2 if this is a critical feature for you.
Old 11-07-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A non-tivo option may be something like this:
http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?...156&Itemid=103

I just bought one and it records and then burns to DVD. Was real easy to set up, I bought it to finally get rid of my vcr
Old 11-08-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still using a Toshiba SD-H400 with is a Tivo unit with a built in DVDp player. The best thing about it is that you get BASIC Tivo for no monthly free! But it is Tivo. Basic tivo of course has limits,

-only 3 day tv guide
-no season pass recording
-it will not recommend programs to you

You can pause live tv, rewind, etc. And set up timers like on a VCR for recording outside the 3 day tv guide.

You can also upgrade to regular Tivo and pay for it like normal if you like. I also use wireless to update.

Last time I looked, I didn't couldn't find one, but you might look around