Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help: TV audio out to Onkyo receiver not working

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-29-06, 11:46 PM

I just bought Onkyo TX-SR504 receiver. Hooked up DVD & directv audio w/ optical - no problem.

Now I want to hook up the PS2 to the TV (Samsung HLN56 DLP) via component. Since I can't separate the component & audio due to distance, I had to hook up A/V of ps2 directly to the TV. I know I should be able to use the TV audio out via rca jacks to the receiver and then get audio on my surround speakers, but its not working. I had this setup w/ my previous Sony receiver and worked fine. The problem w/ the Onkyo is there is no input for TV, so I've tried all the inputs, Video1-3, tape, cd, none of them works.

Any one have ideas? Manual says the default audio in from TV is Video 2, but no sound! I can get sound via optical in Video 2, but not RCA jacks via video 2. Also checked the TV settings for audio out and couldn't find any.

My last resort is to go back to rca video/audio for the ps2 or just use the TV speakers. ARRRGGHHH!!!

Thank for any and all ideas/suggestions...

Last edited by ktan1; 10-30-06 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The input on the Onkyo shouldn't matter. You are talking about analog audio, so there isn't any digital handshake or settings, they are just on. Are you sure your TV allows pass-through of the audio like that? I guess I'd check your settings and connections, it sounds like it should be working.

You could also get adapters for the audio wires to simply run a wire back to the receiver without going through the TV. You would just need 2 of these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-282
Old 10-30-06, 05:20 PM

Thanks for another option I hadn't thought of, Spiky.

To answer your question, yes the TV does the audio pass through. I've done it w/ another receiver (sony), so it has worked in the past. What I'm worried about is that maybe when I took out the cables from the TV, somehow the audio out was broken, broken circuitry? But the TV shouldn't be that fragile.

Is there another way for me to test my TV audio out?
Old 10-30-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It certainly shouldn't be that fragile. Although if you have those Monster Cables with the twist-on RCA connectors, they can grip way too hard and wrench the machine's connectors a bit when pulling them off. I quit using them because of this (and other reasons), but I never actually damaged any equipment even though it felt like I might be.

Tune your TV to Antenna to test. Even if you don't have one hooked up to get an actual channel, you should be able to get some snow noise or something.
Old 11-02-06, 03:58 PM

I have no problem w/ the TV speakers themselves. I just want the TV audio out to send something to my receiver. Just frustrating when things are not working like they're suppose to.