DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

can american play pal videos?

Old 10-24-06, 12:57 PM

can american play pal videos?

do you have vcr's that do it?
Old 10-24-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of course we can play them, you just need some extra hardware.
Old 10-24-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First, wrong forum, as this has nothing to do with movies.

Second, in general no, most people aren't equipped with PAL-capable equipment, especially VCRs. PAL-capable DVD players are available here, but they're kind of specialized equipment that is sought out by enthusiasts, not the general public.
Old 10-24-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
In general no, most people aren't equipped with PAL-capable equipment, especially VCRs. PAL-capable DVD players are available here, but they're kind of specialized equipment that is sought out by enthusiasts, not the general public.
Actually, there's quite a good number of DVD players that are capable of converting PAL to NTSC for display on most TVs, a lot of people probably don't even realize their DVD player is capable. However, not every DVD player can do it, so it's not a guarantee. Also, all retail DVD players are region-coded, so they usually can't handle a DVD from a different region without being deliberately tampered with to do so. This wouldn't be a problem if you're dealing with a DVD-R transfer of the VHS tape though.
Old 10-25-06, 03:02 AM

yeah yeah wrong forum i know.
man, it's so much easier over here. most cheap dvd players are multi region and play ntsc on all tvs.

i only ask as i picked up a video of song of the south. and after looking on ebay i see a few sellers are claiming that their pal video will play on american vcr's.. do you think this is true?
Old 10-25-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kevkev
i only ask as i picked up a video of song of the south. and after looking on ebay i see a few sellers are claiming that their pal video will play on american vcr's.. do you think this is true?
No, that's not true at all.