DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

dvd recorder questions

Old 10-23-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

dvd recorder questions

I know you can plug a dvd recorder into an hd dvr and all, but can they record in anamorphic? (no black bars when being played on another player) For stuff that has comercials, is it easy/seamless to edit commercials out?
Old 10-24-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stand alone recorders cannot do anamorphic. 4x3 only. Actually you would plug the HD DVR into the recorder and the highest quality input they have is S-cable. Not saying there isn't one out there but I've never seen one that can record in 5.1 audio either. If you want to preserve the 16x9 ratio you could plug the DVR into your computer and do it that way.
Editing commercials is simple. Only hard part is you have to be quick on the trigger because fadeouts/ins are practically non-existent these days. You can do it over and over till you get it right though. I've only used Panasonic recorders and there is a slight pause where commercials were removed but you don't notice/see it during playback because it is only a fraction of a second and the screen will be dark from the fade out/in. The pause would probably be noticeable if the edit is during a program.

My advice, anything being broadcast in HD and 16x9 is probably available on dvd or soon will be. It's not worth the hassle. Just buy the dvds.
I use mine for obscure old movies off TCM and classic tv shows that may never get a dvd release.

Last edited by rw2516; 10-24-06 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-24-06, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Stand alone recorders cannot do anamorphic. 4x3 only.
I had to double check this in the manual but my father has a Panasonic that records "16:9 aspect picture" if you use a DVD-RAM disc. If you use DVDR/W then it only does "4:3 aspect picture". It doesn't specifically mention anamorphic but looking at the example it shows how it would display on a 16:9 television and it's filling the frame.
Old 10-24-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fataldog187
I had to double check this in the manual but my father has a Panasonic that records "16:9 aspect picture" if you use a DVD-RAM disc. If you use DVDR/W then it only does "4:3 aspect picture". It doesn't specifically mention anamorphic but looking at the example it shows how it would display on a 16:9 television and it's filling the frame.
Yea, you can record 16x9 onto a DVD-RAM but not burn to DVD-R. Burning or watching programs on hard drive is 4x3 only.
Old 10-24-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was under the impression that some of the higher-end models could do anamorphic on any type of disc. My $200 Panasonic does not, but I thought the $500 model with a hard drive could.
Old 10-24-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiky
I was under the impression that some of the higher-end models could do anamorphic on any type of disc. My $200 Panasonic does not, but I thought the $500 model with a hard drive could.
Nope
Old 10-24-06, 06:38 PM

Yea, you can record 16x9 onto a DVD-RAM but not burn to DVD-R. Burning or watching programs on hard drive is 4x3 only.
I assume that you're talking about using the stand-alone only? If you put the DVD-RAM in a PC wouldn't you be able to copy it to a DVDR/W? If you are able to then you could just record anamorphic on the DVD-RAM, copy it to a cheap R disc and then erase the RAM so that you could do it all over again. Not an ideal solution but I don't see why that wouldn't work.
Old 10-24-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fataldog187
I assume that you're talking about using the stand-alone only? If you put the DVD-RAM in a PC wouldn't you be able to copy it to a DVDR/W? If you are able to then you could just record anamorphic on the DVD-RAM, copy it to a cheap R disc and then erase the RAM so that you could do it all over again. Not an ideal solution but I don't see why that wouldn't work.
That would work. Or you could skip the standalone altogether and record the satellite/cable signal directly on the computer.
Old 10-24-06, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiky
The only way you're getting anamorphic is if you have component in or one of the boxes (Pioneer) that output 16x9 through s-video. I have a panasonic recorder and a Pioneer box from Time Warner and I can record everything HD in 16x9. It's stretched but there are programs to re-set the flag to 16x9. Or you can just play with your playback machine to get it "unstretched."

Holy shit.

I just knew something that Spiky didn't.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 10-24-06 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
The only way you're getting anamorphic is if you have component in or one of the boxes (Pioneer) that output 16x9 through s-video. I have a panasonic recorder and a Pioneer box from Time Warner and I can record everything HD in 16x9. It's stretched but there are programs to re-set the flag to 16x9. Or you can just play with your playback machine to get it "unstretched."

Holy shit.

I just knew something that Spiky didn't.
That's a thought. if you can record the 16x9 picture 4x3 stretched vertically, like when you set a player to 16x9 when the tv is 4x3, you could then stretch that picture horizontaly with the 16x9 tv. Seems that would be the same as just zooming the 4x3 picture with the tv though.
Old 10-25-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I record stuff in HD 16x9 all the time and it's obviously "squished" on the recorder, but then I just set my Toshiba RPTV HDTV to "full" and it's back to the perfect ratio again.
Old 10-25-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's a thought. if you can record the 16x9 picture 4x3 stretched vertically, like when you set a player to 16x9 when the tv is 4x3, you could then stretch that picture horizontaly with the 16x9 tv. Seems that would be the same as just zooming the 4x3 picture with the tv though.
This is exactly what I do. But that is not exactly anamorphic, that is stretched 4:3 recording. Anamorphic would record in the same way I believe, but would add a flag to tell the player how to manage it for compatibility with both types of TVs. I have recorded most of my DVDRs with this method since I mainly use my widescreen TV. When playing back on a normal 4:3 TV, it is stretched vertically and looks like crap. When playing back on a widescreen TV, it looks normal.

Freak,
I've always known you are the DVDR guru, not the first time you've explained stuff to me.
Old 10-26-06, 10:40 AM
Banned

Everything I burn on my Panny I will burn to DVD-RAM anyway and burn a properly authored version on my PC. So I re-set the flag when I burn the final copy.

I've been doing this with a lot of movies from HBO HD that are being shown. Unfortunately, the studios don't feel like releasing them anamorphically so I'll just make my own versions.
Old 10-29-06, 01:07 AM

damned if i didn't understand all of the lingo in the preceding posts...still almost made my head explode. that's a whole lot of work though...you'd think sooner or later there will be a device to do it right the first time.
Old 10-29-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ScottsdaleSaint
damned if i didn't understand all of the lingo in the preceding posts...still almost made my head explode. that's a whole lot of work though...you'd think sooner or later there will be a device to do it right the first time.
It's my understanding that before recorders were released on the market the DVD Forum members (studios and manufacturers) decided what they would/would not be capable of. Built in blocking of copyrighted material, no 5.1 recording, no 16x9 burning, no component/DVI/HDMI inputs. Don't know about the newer ones, but early ones also blocked digital signals inputed through the S-cable input. If you plugged a S-VHS vcr in through the S-cable everything was ok, if you plugged in a dvd player the picture would only come through in black and white.