DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia V-Series 1080p LCD HDTV?

Old 10-21-06, 05:34 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia V-Series 1080p LCD HDTV?

hi, ive been thinking about going 1080p lcd for awhile, nothing over 45" and i saw this
Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia V-Series 1080p LCD HDTV on amazon.com and it looked like it had all the bells and whistles i was looking for, but before i jump into the water figureativley speaking^_^ i'd like to know what anyone else thinks. Is this a good buy or should i keep hunting. ^_^ thanks for any help!
nontechgirl is offline  
Old 10-22-06, 08:30 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WV
Posts: 3,178
That is the model that I am also considering. You may be able to find a better price though:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...ch=40V2500+&op
fryinpan1 is offline  
Old 10-24-06, 09:00 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WV
Posts: 3,178
I went ahead and purchased this TV. Do I need HDMI cables to hook it up to a standard progressive scan DVD player? Are the HDMI cables only for hooking up to HD devices? I have a Toshiba HD A2 DVD player on pre-order and that may come with an HDMI cable, so I did not want to buy the extra cable unless it was required.
fryinpan1 is offline  
Old 10-24-06, 01:58 PM
  #4  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I went ahead and purchased this TV. Do I need HDMI cables to hook it up to a standard progressive scan DVD player? Are the HDMI cables only for hooking up to HD devices? I have a Toshiba HD A2 DVD player on pre-order and that may come with an HDMI cable, so I did not want to buy the extra cable unless it was required.
According to Crutchfield, this player does come with an HDMI cable. It is always good to have space cables just incase, as long as it is not Monster. I suggest either Audioquest or Tributaries
Trippin315 is offline  
Old 10-25-06, 10:59 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
SoSpacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Jersey
Posts: 4,238
Blue Jeans Cables are an affordable quality cable that would fit your needs.
SoSpacey is offline  
Old 10-25-06, 11:37 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Originally Posted by Trippin315
It is always good to have space cables just incase, as long as it is not Monster.
Monster will get the job done. The main problem with Monster is that it's hideously overpriced. However, I was able to get several cables for under $10 each during a Radio Shack clearance sale and have been satisified.

Another good place for quality, affordable cables is www.monoprice.com . Enjoy your new display.
Sweet Baby James is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 04:06 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WV
Posts: 3,178
Originally Posted by nontechgirl
hi, ive been thinking about going 1080p lcd for awhile, nothing over 45" and i saw this
Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia V-Series 1080p LCD HDTV on amazon.com and it looked like it had all the bells and whistles i was looking for, but before i jump into the water figureativley speaking^_^ i'd like to know what anyone else thinks. Is this a good buy or should i keep hunting. ^_^ thanks for any help!
I have had this TV since Friday and it is very nice overall. Unfortunately, I have it hooked up to a cheap RCA progressive scan DVD player until the HD-A2 arrives.

positives:
- picture and sound quality are good
- the menu is easy to use
- nice design
- already calibrated very well (colors, brightness, tint, etc.)
- widescreen zoom mode seems fine

negatives:
- picture looks a little too computer-like or digital at times when watching DVDs (I was told HDMI cables would help significantly)
- volume is inconsistent from DVD to DVD
- regular TV looks just ok
fryinpan1 is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 04:11 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,214
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
- volume is inconsistent from DVD to DVD
This can't have anything to do with the TV.
Mordred is offline  
Old 11-07-06, 11:48 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Alotoffuffin
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by fryinpan1

negatives:
- picture looks a little too computer-like or digital at times when watching DVDs (I was told HDMI cables would help significantly)
- volume is inconsistent from DVD to DVD
- regular TV looks just ok
I boght this TV and returned it because nothing but HD-DVd and HDTV was acceptable to me and that's not all I watch.
heavywear is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.