DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Wireless headphones for portable DVD Player? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/481373-wireless-headphones-portable-dvd-player.html)

Roy28 10-20-06 09:46 PM

Wireless headphones for portable DVD Player?

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Philips 10.2" Portable Dvd/Divx/Xvid Player (Pet 1002/37). The battery last about 6 hours so I never have to use the car/cigarette lighter adapter. I use it often since I have to make a couple of 2-3 hour roadtrips (each way) every week (I'm not the driver).

I want to find a set of Portable wireless headphones so I can completely free myself of wires - like something that has a small battery powered transmitter that connects to the headphone or audio out jacks, and battery powered headphones. The only set I've found is an audiovox set, but they only work with audiovox devices (although in some of the reviews I've read a few people have used them successfully with other devices). I know more exist, because I did a lot of research before deciding on the player, and occasionally when browsing the accessories or players I would come across a pair. I didn't really have any interest in them at that time, so I didn't bookmark them and now I can't find them anywhere.

Anyone have any recommendations/links/etc. for what I'm looking for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy

marginal 10-20-06 11:33 PM

I picked up a set of Philips wireless headphones on clearance at Target last week for $24.98. I think they were originally around 50 bucks. They work great, and have an independent volume control on the phones as well as a channel switcher just in case you encounter interference on the wireless frequency. As you might expect, they look pretty big--like old-style hi-fi headphones--but they're quite comfortable.

The model number is SBC-HC8435. Check your local Target! (There was still one set at the Target in Georgetown, TX where I got mine.)

Roy28 10-20-06 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by marginal
I picked up a set of Philips wireless headphones on clearance at Target last week for $24.98. I think they were originally around 50 bucks. They work great, and have an independent volume control on the phones as well as a channel switcher just in case you encounter interference on the wireless frequency. As you might expect, they look pretty big--like old-style hi-fi headphones--but they're quite comfortable.

The model number is SBC-HC8435. Check your local Target! (There was still one set at the Target in Georgetown, TX where I got mine.)

Thanks,

I'll try Target over the weekend, hopefully I can find a pair. I looked online, but couldn't find them at any online stores. By the way, how did they work - did the transmitter plug into the headphone or audio jacks - and did it run off a battery or did it draw power from the unit? As for the headphone batteries - were they rechargeable or just plain AA or AAA, etc.?

Thanks for the help,

Roy

marginal 10-21-06 12:33 AM

I have the transmitter plugged into a wall outlet, but it looks like it would pull juice from a 12-volt charger. (Headphones contain two AAA batteries.) I'm not in a position to test it, but I would think that the right cigarette lighter charger would do the trick. Oh, and yes, the transmitter plugs into the audio source just like a pair of headphones would. Even includes a larger size (1/4") headphone jack adapter.