Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is HDMI worth buying a new dvd player over one that has only component conn. ??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-20-06, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, tech question again!

I just bought a Panasonic TH-42PX60 Plasma Tv.
I already have a Toshiba DVD SD-4900 (hacked - Region free with a PAL/NTSC integrated converter) that I am very found of (it was very difficult to find it in Montreal!) but that has no HDMI connection only a component connection.

Consequently, I was thinking of getting a OPPO DV-970H that was suggested to me on this forum.

Then it struck me !
My question is for a dvd player, will the use of an HDMI connextion make a difference over the use of a component connection. If there is a difference, will it be significant?

Of course when I buy my HD-DVD player, the answers to the question will be clear! But for a dvd player, is it relevant? Is is worth buying a new dvd player (the OPPO)?

Thanks for the info...

Here are the spec for the TV.

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audi...specs_px60.asp
Old 10-20-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the player does a better job of converting to HD resolution than your TV, then it might be a worthwhile investment. (value for your money is in your eyes, of course) If it's really close, you may just want to wait until HDDVD is in your price range. Of note, the current HDDVD players are excellent upconverters for DVD over HDMI.
Old 10-20-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

a good upscaling player like the Oppo should give you a somewhat better picture than your Toshiba. Will it be AMAZING? Eh. But it will be an upgrade.

Is it worth dropping $200 on the Oppo? If you plan on buying an HD-DVD player soon, than no.

But you can get A1 for under $400 now.
Old 10-20-06, 02:09 PM

Spiky: When you say that a HD-DVD is a good upconverter for DVD, do you mean putting the DVD direcly in the HD-DVD player, or do you mean that there is a way
to plug the dvd upfront the hd-dvd player so that it will upconvert the signal before sending it througt HDMI?
Old 10-20-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I mean you put the DVDs in the Toshiba HDDVD players and they apparently do an excellent job of upconversion. Some say better than the Oppo. I haven't used either, so I'm just passing on info.
Old 10-20-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spiky
I mean you put the DVDs in the Toshiba HDDVD players and they apparently do an excellent job of upconversion. Some say better than the Oppo. I haven't used either, so I'm just passing on info.
The HD-A1 is an excellent SD DVD upconverter, although it doesn't play other region discs. One other very important thing, it won't upconvert copywrited material over the component connection, just over the HDMI connection. It will upconvert homemade discs, though.
Old 10-20-06, 05:05 PM

Thanks to you all!