DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Questions on DirecTV HD

Old 10-17-06, 02:53 PM

Questions on DirecTV HD

sorry if this has been discussed before.

I'm looking to get a 50" Plasma by the end of the year, and will likely want to get HD service. I already have DirecTV.

my question is this: what will I need to change/upgrade to get everything working?

I currently have a dual-LNB dish, does this need to change?
I know I'll need an HD DirecTV converter.
I know I'll need to subscribe to their HD service. does this include all channels in HD?
Anything else? Any ideas on prices?

I was tooling around the DirecTV site and frankly was confused as can be. It seemed to assume you knew what you needed, or that you were a brand new customer, so any insight from people who've done this would be helpful.

lastly, I think I read I need to buy the $100 superfan add-on to the Sunday Ticket to get the games in HD. if that's true, that sucks.

thanks in advance for any help
Old 10-17-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You will need to get the third LNB for your dish, you need an HD receiver and you subscribe to the service. Not sure what you mean by "all the channels", you will get all the HD channels that they offer which right now is about 10.

And yes the Direct Ticket/Super Fan add on is a complete rip especially considering I can already get the local games OTA in HD .
Old 10-17-06, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
You will need to get the third LNB for your dish, you need an HD receiver and you subscribe to the service. Not sure what you mean by "all the channels", you will get all the HD channels that they offer which right now is about 10.

And yes the Direct Ticket/Super Fan add on is a complete rip especially considering I can already get the local games OTA in HD .

thanks..

yeah, by all the channels I meant what is offered in HD. not sure if that includes Locals or not. if the locals are offered OTA in HD, I really don't know how that works if I'm already getting the locals via the Dish.
Old 10-17-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The locals are offered by DirectV w/o an antena in about 30 markets. Search at avsforums to find out if your market is one of them.
Old 10-17-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your HD locals are offered via the dish, you'll need the new 5 LNB dish and a new reciever to pick them up. Most DirecTV HD recievers can integrate an OTA antenna though, and the interface is seamless. i.e. it looks like your getting them off the dish, with full guide info etc.

DirecTV has a small selection of 6-7 HD channels, which you can probably find on their website. I think the cost for this is $11.99/mo. If you subscribe the HBO or Showtime, the HD feed costs nothing extra. And you get it regardless of whether you subscribe to the HD package or not. You'll need at least a new 3 LNB dish for any of these options. Your dual LNB can't pick up any HD content.

Hope some of that helps.
Old 10-17-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The new DirecTV HD-DVR is the HR20. I've had it a week and overall it's been pretty good. The locals here come through MPEG4, no OTA necessary. There are a number of bugs, but these are supposedly being addressed (I hope). Be sure you call retention when you're ready to take the plunge because you can often get a better deal than the $299 sticker price.