DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   help me with wires/cables (please, please) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/480923-help-me-wires-cables-please-please.html)

pjh7676 10-16-06 06:13 PM

help me with wires/cables (please, please)

i need help with the wire and cables for my setup. I dont know what to get between hdmi, dvi, optical, digital etc, etc. Im lost.

This what im getting and the outputs they have:

-Samsung HL-S5687W 56" 1080p DLP HDTV

Component (Y/Pb/Pr): 2 inputs
HDMI: 2 inputs
Composite (RCA audio/video): 3 inputs (1 on the front)
S-Video: 2 inputs
PC: 1 D-Sub-15 input
PC audio: 1 input
RF: 1 input
Sound monitor output: 1
USB: 1

-OPPO OPDV971H Digital HD-Ready Up-Converting DVD Player

DVI Out: 1 (480p, 576p, 540p, 720p, 1080i resolutions)
S-Video Out: 1
Composite AV Out: 1
Component Out
Subwoofer Out: 1
Optical digital audio Out: 1
Coaxial digital audio Out: 1

-Harman Kardon AVR 240 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver, Silver

The receiver's variety of audio and video connections include three wide-bandwidth, HDTV-compatible component video inputs, five S-video and five composite video inputs, and two analog audio inputs. Digital audio options, meanwhile, include three coaxial and three optical audio inputs, including one of each on the front panel. Other jacks range from 6- and 8-channel direct audio inputs to 7.1-channel preamp outputs that accommodate a DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, or universal player.

directv or dish network hd sattelite reciever

if someone woulg give me a list of cables to get, i would be forever in debt to you.

XavierMike 10-16-06 09:21 PM

I would go DVI -> HDMI to connect DVD to TV
Componant to connect satelite to TV
and 2 Optical cables to connect the DVD and Satalite to the reciever

Brian Shannon 10-17-06 09:54 AM

My advice is this, read the instructions first. Then connect ONE piece of equipment and test it. When correct move on. I know this sounds simple but when you start to get into multiple sources and multiple inputs you can get confused.

I also label my cables for future reference.

Big Worms 10-17-06 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by XavierMike
I would go DVI -> HDMI to connect DVD to TV
Componant to connect satelite to TV
and 2 Optical cables to connect the DVD and Satalite to the reciever

I would do the same, except I would do HDMI to connect the Satellite to the TV.

When you are ready to buy all your cabels, go to http://www.monoprice.com

XavierMike 10-17-06 11:52 AM

Yeah,

I didn'y see that he had 2 HDMI inputs. I would do that too.

pjh7676 10-18-06 01:33 AM

i may decide to skip the reciever for now (budget). Am I correct that hdmi does not work for audio. if that is so am i correct in assuming that you need to run hdmi for the video and something like optical for audio.

Brian Shannon 10-18-06 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by pjh7676
i may decide to skip the reciever for now (budget). Am I correct that hdmi does not work for audio. if that is so am i correct in assuming that you need to run hdmi for the video and something like optical for audio.

No, HDMI is audio/video in a single cable.

fataldog187 10-18-06 02:58 PM

If you go DVI->HDMI you won't be getting audio though. If your tv has L+R audio for the HDMI inputs then you could use the DVI->HDMI cable for video and a red/white RCA cable for the sound.

Also from looking at the specs for the tv I don't see any digital audio inputs listed (except for HDMI) so you wouldn't be able to use optical or coax for the sound if you aren't buying the receiver. You would need to go analog to the tv if you don't already have another receiver that can take digital.

Spiky 10-18-06 03:01 PM

Analog is all you need for stereo sound to the TV.

Big Worms 10-18-06 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by fataldog187
If you go DVI->HDMI you won't be getting audio though. If your tv has L+R audio for the HDMI inputs then you could use the DVI->HDMI cable for video and a red/white RCA cable for the sound.

Also from looking at the specs for the tv I don't see any digital audio inputs listed (except for HDMI) so you wouldn't be able to use optical or coax for the sound if you aren't buying the receiver. You would need to go analog to the tv if you don't already have another receiver that can take digital.

It does not have an optical audio connection for in. One of the HDMI inputs has your basic L/R analog inputs that go with it. So you would use this for your DVD player.

uteotw 10-19-06 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by pjh7676

I know budget is key, but I'd reconsider skipping the receiver. You've got a very good TV, and if you're going to be watching DVDs and TV (esp. HD), you're going to be missing out on 50% of the benefit if you don't do the 5.1 setup.
Good luck!