DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   My Sony KDS50A2000 HDTV DIED last night! :eek: & :( (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/480874-my-sony-kds50a2000-hdtv-died-last-night-eek.html)

The Edit King 10-16-06 09:29 AM

My Sony KDS50A2000 HDTV DIED last night! :eek: & :(

I suppose '4' days was the charm! :lol:

While we were watching the DiscoveryHD channel, and messing with the guide, and the different wide, full, and zoom screens, I noticed the picture wasn't straight. It's like there's a 1/4 dip to the right. Suck Sake! -ohbfrank-

I emailed Sony right then and they got back to me this morning and said the set would need service as this model doesn't have a tilt adjustment like all my other Sony CRTs have.

(They put EVERY FRIGGIN' tweek on this set, why not 'Tilt'? Oh, well...)

...but it gets even BETTER!

I put in a DVD ('Deep Rising' for those of you out there that must know :lol: ), to check if that was tilting too, and it was.

But what really threw me into SHOCK OVERLOAD was when somewhere around the middle of the movie, the entire screen flashed bright white for a few seconds, went black, then white again with a vertical black bar on the left side, then a brownish one on the right, and then returned to the movie. Within a few moments it did it again (twice within 15 minutes), but we kept watching and finished the film.

After that, we watched some more HDTV, and it didn't do that HORRIBLE flash thing anymore.

This morning I grabbed the remote, pressed the power button, and the power LED flashed green a few times like usual, then turned red and flashed like 9 times, but the TV wouldn't come on. I tried to turn it on a few times, but it just wouldn't come on.

There's a factory reset thing mentioned in the manual, and that didn't do anything.

Next, I checked the bulb, and it looks great. I mean, the filament is still connected and the bulb doesn't smell toasted or look burned in any way. I unplugged the set for a few moments (as a last ditch effort), but that didn't help either. SHE WAS DEAD.

So, now (this morning) we're taking it back to Circuit City and getting another TV. Maybe that 46" Bravia this time. Maybe another KDS50A2000, I don't know just what to do right now.

:(

-Paul

joshd2012 10-16-06 09:33 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. May your next TV bring you much joy in the years to come!

P.S. - I like those Bravias :D

Spiky 10-16-06 09:42 AM

That can't be normal, why not just replace with the same model? Unless, of course, you have light control and are willing to do some extra work for a big screen.

The Edit King 10-16-06 09:43 AM

Thanks, Josh! :up:

Sorry Mods.

After seeing that "The canonical DVD Talk "hey, recommend an HDTV for me!" thread", I thought my HDTV dying was a related HD Forum issue.

-Paul

The Edit King 10-16-06 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
why not just replace with the same model?

I might do just that! See?:

Originally Posted by The Edit King
Maybe another KDS50A2000

;)

-Paul

Spiky 10-16-06 09:59 AM

Ah, but that wasn't there when I started typing. I see where your name comes from. ;)

The Edit King 10-16-06 10:01 AM

:eek: YA CAUGHT ME!!! :lol:

The Edit King 10-16-06 01:49 PM

Well, we're back from Circuit City, and the New TV's up and running, and the picture is...

:banana: :up: :banana: :up: :banana: !!!STRAIGHT AS A LEVEL!!! :banana: :up: :banana: :up: :banana:

(Actually, we had them unpack it and check it right there in the store...)

Now let's see if it lasts the week. :lol:

-Paul

The Edit King 10-16-06 02:36 PM

OH, & BTW!!!

When I checked the website this morning for availability and pick up from the store, it was ON SALE AGAIN, as it was originally a savings of $400, but now it's a savings of $600! :eek:

You see...

We originally paid $2,374, but now with it being on sale (some '4' days later) for $2,199, we got a refund/adjustment of $189.44!!!

(I REALLY Likey-Likey that! :up: & :lol: )

I must say that $2200 for a 50" 1080 HDTV ain't all that bad (in 'my' book, anyways...)!

So, was it worth the extra run around??? Well, your run around mileage may vary, and sure, I know normally we could have just brought in the reciept to get the difference, but since we had to return the Bloomin' TV anyway, we say:

HECK THE HELL YEAH!!! YEE-HAW & HEE-HAW!!! :lol:

I mean, if it's gonna break down, might as well get something outta the deal for the inconvenience, i.e, gas, time, and not to mention (but I will) that little woman's emotional wear and tear, right?

All's well that ends well, I always say! :)

...and it gets EVEN BETTER!!!

UPDATE & BTW (10/20/06):

The new (2nd) set is OUTTA SIGHT & working G-R-E-A-T!

That 1080 High Def is KICK ARSE, and I couldn't be more pleased!!! :up:

(Well, I probably could, but I'm most happy for now.)

...and Oh, yeah!

I found 208 (+) page thread of SXRD A2000 owners that actually contained a 'Tilt Fix', how to get into the service menu, and a series of tweaks & adjustments & fixes that have really helped me get the most out of my investment! :up:

-TEK! :editking: