DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

opinions on this LCD.

Old 10-14-06, 03:52 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: southern CA
Posts: 446
opinions on this LCD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134702498462

first off, i work at best buy, but in operations, not home theater. so i will not be paying that price. i'll be getting 20% off, so the price isnt the problem.

i love samsung, so i would prefer samsung only, if you all are making recommendations.

i would be using this primarily for my xbox 360, and the hd-dvd player add-on, as well as digital cable, and a monitor for my laptop, so i need pc connectivity.

what do you guys think of this LCD?
im_ryandick is offline  
Old 10-14-06, 10:28 AM
  #2  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
Samsung always look great, so I see no problem.
spielbrik is offline  
Old 10-14-06, 11:28 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
I don't have any experience with that LCD. However, you can find many opinions on all things LCD here-

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Sweet Baby James is offline  
Old 10-14-06, 04:41 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
I'd wait a month or two. From what I've read at AVS Forum, most manufacturers are switching their LCDs from 1366x768 panels to 1920x1080 for about the same price.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 10-15-06, 01:09 AM
  #5  
Tek
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central NY, USA
Posts: 74
I love mine!
Use it for HDTV and my up-converting DVD player.
At my viewing distance of between 6'-7', it's amazing.
Can't achieve true-black, but all the other pros offset that single con, for me

The backlight adjustment is not contiguous, but rather a off-low-medium-high setting under "Power-Saving" but, at least in my application, is adequate.
Tek is offline  
Old 10-17-06, 11:59 PM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: southern CA
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'd wait a month or two. From what I've read at AVS Forum, most manufacturers are switching their LCDs from 1366x768 panels to 1920x1080 for about the same price.

this tv would be primarily used for gaming, so isnt LCD the way to go, for this size?
i have a 50 inch samsung DLP that i'm currently using for my 360, and i love it.

you mentioned waiting for the newer, higher-res LCDs. would they be 1080p? i just realized today that theres no point in buying an LCD right now thats not capable of 1080p, with the hd-dvd player and standard for 360 games on the horizon.
im_ryandick is offline  
Old 10-18-06, 12:01 AM
  #7  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: southern CA
Posts: 446
also, can you guys tell if this LCD has a VGA input?

since it's required for the HD-DVD player, i'm gonna need one of em.
im_ryandick is offline  
Old 10-18-06, 09:48 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
SoSpacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Jersey
Posts: 4,238
Originally Posted by im_ryandick
this tv would be primarily used for gaming, so isnt LCD the way to go, for this size?
i have a 50 inch samsung DLP that i'm currently using for my 360, and i love it.

you mentioned waiting for the newer, higher-res LCDs. would they be 1080p? i just realized today that theres no point in buying an LCD right now thats not capable of 1080p, with the hd-dvd player and standard for 360 games on the horizon.

using your DLP as your main TV?

buy a 32" westy 1080p for gaming.

go to avsforums for revies.
SoSpacey is offline  
Old 10-18-06, 10:46 AM
  #9  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: southern CA
Posts: 446
this may sound odd, but then again, many people here are such extreme collectors, they have hundreds of unopened items sitting on their shelf.

i consider myself to be somewhat of a brand loyalist.
samsung all the way.
unless i am completely wowed, i would prefer to stick to samsung.

besides, since i work in operations at best buy, all i see are westinghouse tv boxes sitting on the counter in customer service.

i have a samsung dvd player, fridge, reciever, speakers, mp3 player, phone and camera.
so i can be guaranteed it's a damn fine product if i stick to samsung.
im_ryandick is offline  
Old 10-19-06, 12:01 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,448
lol yep you work at best buy alright....hehe
hdtv00 is online now  
Old 10-19-06, 01:57 AM
  #11  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: southern CA
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by hdtv00
lol yep you work at best buy alright....hehe
hahahahahahahaha.
you're really doubting that i work at best buy.



hey.
mr. friend.
i work in operations.
not home theater.
i work in customer service.
i don't sell tvs.



thats like you working in a bank,
but knowing how to make counterfeit bills.
im_ryandick is offline  
Old 10-19-06, 09:13 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
SoSpacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Jersey
Posts: 4,238
Originally Posted by im_ryandick
this may sound odd, but then again, many people here are such extreme collectors, they have hundreds of unopened items sitting on their shelf.

i consider myself to be somewhat of a brand loyalist.
samsung all the way.
unless i am completely wowed, i would prefer to stick to samsung.

besides, since i work in operations at best buy, all i see are westinghouse tv boxes sitting on the counter in customer service.

i have a samsung dvd player, fridge, reciever, speakers, mp3 player, phone and camera.
so i can be guaranteed it's a damn fine product if i stick to samsung.

brand loyalty is a good thing to a point. problem is, companies dont do everything well.

i am not arguing the TV purchase. i love samsung LCDs.

but when people start going too far with brand loyalty, they start buying things they shouldnt..like samsung Speakers and Receivers.

always buy what a company does well.

i have a yamaha receiver...would never buy yamaha speakers...
SoSpacey is offline  
Old 10-20-06, 09:28 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,448
Yep sorry I was so vague SoSpacey at least got what I was pointing out....lol that only someone who works at best buy who knows lttle or nothing about electronics would ever purchase an entire brands line of products..hehe hence my remark.

I seriously never had a doubt of you actually working there, in fact Id bet my life on it lol....
hdtv00 is online now  
Old 10-23-06, 10:43 AM
  #14  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: southern CA
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by hdtv00
Yep sorry I was so vague SoSpacey at least got what I was pointing out....lol that only someone who works at best buy who knows lttle or nothing about electronics would ever purchase an entire brands line of products..hehe hence my remark.

I seriously never had a doubt of you actually working there, in fact Id bet my life on it lol....
..now i remember why i stopped coming here.
im_ryandick is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.