Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

LCD TV - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 07:19 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD TV - Questions

I just bought my first LCD TV, last night. I decided I'd capitalize on a sale at Future Shop, so I got a Sharp Aquos 32 inch LCD television for $1399.99 Canadian, which seems like a good deal. It easily had the best picture quality out of ANY TV there.

Anyways, I'm really anal about my things, and I want to keep this TV in perfect working order. Aside from not touching the screen, not leaving it on for five hours at a time (possible burn-in,) what else do I need to worry about? Is burn-in even a factor anymore?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sorry my questions are so vague. Here's the link to the TV: http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC...575102?ie=UTF8
Old 10-11-06, 07:48 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I just noticed that this thread got moved. I forgot that this section of the forum existed. Sorry.
Old 10-11-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Talk to your insurance company about optional coverages or if you need to increase your current coverage.

Get a good surge protector.

Keep in an area where is won't get "bumped" or knocked over.
Old 10-11-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wick
not leaving it on for five hours at a time (possible burn-in,) what else do I need to worry about? Is burn-in even a factor anymore?
LCDs are not susceptible to burn-in.
Old 10-13-06, 04:42 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Talk to your insurance company about optional coverages or if you need to increase your current coverage.

Get a good surge protector.

Keep in an area where is won't get "bumped" or knocked over.
Thanks for the tips. I don't know if I will be able to put it under our insurance, as I'm only 19, and I'm still living at home. I doubt my Dad would want to put it under their insurance.

How much would a good surge protector cost? Where could I get one?
Old 10-13-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Ummm...your kidding, right?

Surge protectors can be found every place from Lowes/Home Depot to Best Buy/Cuircut City to the highest end of audio/video stores. Prices range from $5.00 to several hundred and more!

Some argue the cheapest ones are worthless and can actually degrade the power. Others say even the the cheap ones give a at least some protection. Read, research for yourself to see what you feel comfortable.
Old 10-14-06, 09:23 AM
Cool New Member

I wouldn't worry about surge protectors that much. Unless you have a giant setup with several devices, a normal one that you can find anywhere should do fine. Then again, you said you were anal, so you may want to get one at Future Shop. I suggest NOT talking to the people in-store. The garbage that comes out of those people's mouths is unbelievable.
Old 10-14-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, burn-in isn't possible on LCDs, so no worries...