DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Power Converters / Cleaners

Old 10-10-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Power Converters / Cleaners

What are they, what do they do and is it worth buying one? And yes, that last question is subjective.
Old 10-11-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also called a line conditioner, a device that sits between a computer and its power supply, typically a wall outlet. The power conditioner provides protection against surges in power just as a surge protector does, but a power conditioner also maintains a continuous voltage fed to the computer during temporary voltage reductions, such as a brownout. This is referred to as conditioning. Power conditioners also can filter EMI emanating from a power source and can smooth the rhythmic cycle of alternating current.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/power_conditioner.html

Of all the things I have bought, high end cables, carbon fiber vinyl brushes, mm cartridges, zero stat guns . . . I have never seen the need for one of these. I have good quality surge protection via Panamax and I leave it at that.
Old 10-11-06, 11:51 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/power_conditioner.html

Of all the things I have bought, high end cables, carbon fiber vinyl brushes, mm cartridges, zero stat guns . . . I have never seen the need for one of these. I have good quality surge protection via Panamax and I leave it at that.
Does the Panamax protect against long term power surges or just spikes?

I ask because I just had a situation where the local substation got stuck in an overvoltage situation. The house voltage was over 140 volts. The UPSs on computers handled it very well. However some things weren't protected and burned out, such as a fluorescent light fixture.

As I've heard it doesn't like UPSs I only run my projector off a simple "surge" (spike) protector I was glad I didn't have that on at the time. I was thinking of maybe getting a power conditioner.
Old 10-11-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
Does the Panamax protect against long term power surges or just spikes?

I ask because I just had a situation where the local substation got stuck in an overvoltage situation. The house voltage was over 140 volts. The UPSs on computers handled it very well. However some things weren't protected and burned out, such as a fluorescent light fixture.

As I've heard it doesn't like UPSs I only run my projector off a simple "surge" (spike) protector I was glad I didn't have that on at the time. I was thinking of maybe getting a power conditioner.
Well I don't really know the answer, I think it is just spikes. Since Panamax also makes line conditioners I believe they want you to buy one of those too.
Old 10-11-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only spikes, typically. There is a clamp-down level in surge protectors, different for each model, no doubt. If you peak/drop outside of the acceptable range, it kicks into whatever protection it offers.

How long was it at 140V?
Old 10-11-06, 11:09 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spiky
How long was it at 140V?
About 2 hours. I turned off the circuit breakers after the flourescent light burned out because I also smelled burning insulation.

I went outside to look for the utility person who was supposed to come check it out and noticed that the neighbors' lights and the streetlights were really bright compared with normal. But they remained on.

After the 2 hours, and hearing nothing from the utility person who was supposed to be sent to check it out, I turned back on a circuit breaker and tested the voltage. It was normal so I turned them all back on. A little while later I got a call telling me the local substation had had a problem with its voltage regulator which had been stuck at its maximum.

The utility person told me that only one other person in the neighborhood had reported it. I suppose they just thought their lights were particularly clear or their glasses were clean or something.

I live in a third world country with respect to electrical power. But I'm only used to it being out for 3 days at a time when there's a strong breeze, not getting too much voltage.
Old 11-29-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bump!

Any other opinions on conditioners? I have a couple of Belkin UPS's (1100VA) and wondered if they would work for my new system I'm building. They output 660 watts and I have two of them, so theoretically, I could hook up my receiver to one and everything else up to the other (I would assume the receiver uses the most power?)...

Or I was looking at these Belkin PureAV conditioners as they seem to be an inexpensive option:

http://www.pureav.com/power/silverblue/

The FP60 is just $160 or so online and seems to be their top of the line conditioner, but it has no battery backup. So not sure what I could do about that - plug the condtioner into the UPS? That doesn't seem to make sense, since the UPS's have AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

I'm thinking I can just go with the UPS's, but if I do, I'm not sure how to hook them up. Right now I have my current receiver, TV, cable box, DVD player, etc. all running off of one UPS, so I figure if I split the power requirements, there shouldn't be any problem running my new setup off of two UPS's.

New gear:
Sony 60" SXRD Rear Projection
Denon AVR-887 7.1 x100 Watt Receiver (to be ordered)
Toshiba HD-A2 HDDVD Player (ordered)
Daewoo DVD Player
Scientific Atlanta (I think) HD-DVR/Cable Box
Custom built HTPC
D-Link Media Lounge Network Music/Movie Player