DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Screen size for 20' x 13' room?

Old 10-09-06, 09:47 PM

Screen size for 20' x 13' room?

In the process of building a theater in my basement. I'm considering the new Panasonic PJ AX100U. Question I have is how big of a screen should I be looking at? I would like to go 106" diag., but i'm concerned that it may be too big. Looking at a placement for the PJ at 15' to 17' from screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks..
Old 10-10-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My room is 15' x 19' and my projector throw distance is 13.5'. I have a 100" screen and I sit 11.5 feet from it.
Old 10-10-06, 09:31 AM

Thanks, i should be fine then. Nice HT by the way.
Old 10-10-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by corbin dallas
Thanks, i should be fine then. Nice HT by the way.
Thanks and good luck to you too.
Old 10-11-06, 08:01 AM
Suspended

I would probably go with 10-13' wide. Not an inch less than 10' wide. BTW, do you find the theater to be "too big"?

My next screen will be between 14.22'-17' wide, depending on which aspect ratio. At 16:9 it will be 14.22' x 8' and I won't to use an anamorphic lens to stretch it horizontally for 2.35:1 material if I use a digital.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 10-11-06 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-11-06, 09:04 AM

I actually wish the room was a little larger and more square. Unfortunately i'm losing some space due to sump pump and a few plumbing line coming out of the walls. I cant use a fixed screen which is a real pain.

Does anyone have any suggestions on manual pull down screens to complimentg the panny AE900? I'm on a pretty tight budget now since I bought the projector and all the other components. I'm considering an Optoma GreywolfII 106" diag. but i'm reading that the properties of the screen don't compliment the PJ is it's ceiling mounted(which i'm also forced to do due to space and wee ones running the house) i'd like to stay $500 or less.
Old 10-11-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
At 16:9 it will be 14.22' x 8' and I won't to use an anamorphic lens to stretch it horizontally for 2.35:1 material if I use a digital.
Curious on why you say that?
Old 10-11-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe that PJ can handle that size screen. You might want to check over at ProjectorCentral.com to be sure.

However you do want to double check seating distance. How many rows of seating you plan on having, etc.

I use a 94" diagonal screen, my room is 16X14 with seating at 11 & 15 feet.

I feel this is a good size for the seating area. I think the front row is too close for SD broadcast, but HD and DVDp is pretty good event that close. That is my feeling now. I wonder if I might feel different when I upgrade PJ's????
Old 10-11-06, 10:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Curious on why you say that?
If a 16:9 projector has a vertical stretch mode (to stretch 2.35:1 vertically to make it 16:9 at the same width) you can use the entire vertical panel resolution with 2.35:1 HD-DVDs (or DVDs, but actual resolution is not gained here). This means with a horizontal stretch lens you will get a wider and true 2.35:1 image using the entire panel. The lens corrects the aspect ratio when using the vertical stretch and makes it bigger (wider, but the same height). They also have vertical compression lenses that compress 16:9 to 2.35:1 instead of stretching. This means you get a true 2.35:1 image at the same width instead of the same height (smaller).

BTW, I meant to write "want", not "won't".
Old 10-11-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by corbin dallas
I actually wish the room was a little larger and more square. Unfortunately i'm losing some space due to sump pump and a few plumbing line coming out of the walls. I cant use a fixed screen which is a real pain.

Does anyone have any suggestions on manual pull down screens to complimentg the panny AE900? I'm on a pretty tight budget now since I bought the projector and all the other components. I'm considering an Optoma GreywolfII 106" diag. but i'm reading that the properties of the screen don't compliment the PJ is it's ceiling mounted(which i'm also forced to do due to space and wee ones running the house) i'd like to stay $500 or less.
If you care about audio at all, be happy you don't have a square room. Reflection cancellations, bass traps....square is a mess.

You could make your own screen for under a hundred. Put hinges on it so it can swing up and attach to the ceiling to get it out of the way. A little tricky, but gives you the benefits of both fixed screen and a rollup.