Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Buy PRP (product replacement plan) question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I purchased a Westinghouse LCD tv for my bedroom awhile ago and I just had a question about the PRP that I didn't see covered anywhere. I got the plan in the first place after reading how it's practically impossible to get Westinghouse to repair or replace anything, so I got the plan from Best Buy just in case. It's been performing wonderfully so far though.

However, I was curious that should it die in the next year or two, and this model is replaced, would I be able to exchange it for the new model or even a larger size, providing I pay the difference in price? Just curious if I have the option. Thanks.
Old 10-09-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What you have is a PSP (Product Service Plan) not replacement.

So BBY tries to repair it (unless the manufacturer tells them not to) and if it costs more to repair than replace or if is has been repaired 3 times then bestbuy will authorize an exchange (know as junkout)

Anyway to answer your original question: they will exchange it for a COMPARABLE model which will usually be this year's version of your tv and if you talk a manager into it they will ususally let you pay to upgrade
Old 10-09-06, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by qpid
What you have is a PSP (Product Service Plan) not replacement.

So BBY tries to repair it (unless the manufacturer tells them not to) and if it costs more to repair than replace or if is has been repaired 3 times then bestbuy will authorize an exchange (know as junkout)

Anyway to answer your original question: they will exchange it for a COMPARABLE model which will usually be this year's version of your tv and if you talk a manager into it they will ususally let you pay to upgrade
ah...I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-09-06, 09:46 PM

We had a TV 'junked' under the plan, and they just gave us the purchase amount toward whatever we wanted to buy.
Old 10-10-06, 05:03 PM

I had a car stereo that went out & they let me get another of my choosing but it had to be the same brand since they no longer carried mine.

I also had a $200 Plextor DVD writer go out after 2 years & they no longer carried the one I bought. They did let me exchange mine evenly for an external Plextor, even though mine was listed at only $69.99 in the system & the external was $199.99.

One thing I hate about their exchange shit is they feel the need to make you wait & wait while they check your return. On top of the waiting they make you feel like you're most likely a bumbling idiot & you couldn't possibly have the problems you describe to them. Ie My DVD writer wouldn't read cds, but still read DVDs & burn to cds but couldn't verify them. I was treated like a fool, but in the end I made out like a bandit.

As many good customer service exchange/returns I've had, there's been at least twice as many bad ones. If it wasn't for the Reward Zone & the fact Circuit City is 45min round trip, I probably wouldn't buy there at all. You just have to get lucky & catch either someone in a good mood, or get a nice customer service person. With computer items, you're basically going to be screwed having to deal with dimwhit Geek Squad dousches & expect alot of time to be wasted.
Old 10-14-06, 03:05 AM
Banned

you can upgrade and pay the difference.
it is this way with any item, be it a tv, ipod, dvd player, etc.

i work there, so if you have any more questions, throw em over here.
Old 10-14-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by shelland
We had a TV 'junked' under the plan, and they just gave us the purchase amount toward whatever we wanted to buy.
Really? That would be an awesome deal.
If you bought a LCD TV say three years ago it probably cost $3,000+ but an even better version of the same TV today would run less then half that. I would think they would be better off just giving you the current version of the set.
Old 10-18-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
you can upgrade and pay the difference.
it is this way with any item, be it a tv, ipod, dvd player, etc.

i work there, so if you have any more questions, throw em over here.
what dept are you in?
Old 10-18-06, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Really? That would be an awesome deal.
If you bought a LCD TV say three years ago it probably cost $3,000+ but an even better version of the same TV today would run less then half that. I would think they would be better off just giving you the current version of the set.
In our case, the 'junked' TV was a 9" TV/DVD combo that had the car adaptor (not one of the laptop style portables, but the actual size of a 9" TV). We paid $300 open box for it when we bought it - and they were fairly new to the market. Our son used it in his room, and then we used it in the car when we travelled.

Well, these are way cheaper these days, and they didn't really have anything comparable. So we got a 19" TV/DVD (no longer portable), and actually "lost" $50 on the deal. Now he has a 19" TV instead of a 9" TV in his room (but no portability). We figured he'd get more use out of the bigger TV in his room than a smaller portable one.

I can't say they'd be as willing to give the full price if you were talking about a higher dollar item...
Old 10-19-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know this is kinda OT, but anyone have any experience with the automatic product insurance that comes with most visa/mastercard credit cards? i think most of them double the original manufacturer warranty up to a year for most purchases (not automobiles).

i bring this up because i purchased a digital camera a while ago and considered a b&m just to be able to purchase a product replacement plan. finally, i decided to purchase online because it was much cheaper and because of my visas product warranty coverage.

any thoughts?
Old 10-24-06, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by heavywear
what dept are you in?
operations.
more specifically, customer service.

i deal with these PSPs and PRPs all day.
i literally know em forwards and backwards.
Old 10-24-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
But they will try to fix it first, correct? [especially for bigger tvs, that you can't carry-in]. I just had the guy out to my house today for the second time to install a board so I can see 1080i via HDMI/DVI, and I think the plan's dollar value, compared to what he wrote on his receipt, is still slightly higher than what I would be out of pocket had I gone billable. But I guess the 'peace of mind' is worth it, and I've still got a year on the plan. Although I would love to have the price I paid for the tv, to spend again on another TV.
Old 10-24-06, 10:21 PM
Banned

how long have you owned the television?