DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tivo like device?

Old 10-04-06, 01:20 AM

Tivo like device?

I am looking for a device that I can record TV shows, similar to Tivo. I don't need it to find shows for me. I would just like to be able to type in a time and day and it will record that everyweek for me.
Old 10-04-06, 10:31 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Sony had two in their line, a 250hdd and (2) 250hdd models, they also records HD material. Sony discontinued them but they are still out there. I have two of the larger models, works great with OTA and requires a bit of tweaking with cable.

There may be other manufacturers that have something similar, most though are only SD and do not do HD. I had an LG model that recorded in SD but it was a little buggy, then I got the Sonys. Maybe someone else can offer suggestions because right after I got the Sonys, I still researching.
Old 10-04-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A VCR would do the trick. Or a DVDR.
Old 10-04-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a Toshiba SD-H400 I think is the model. It is a progressive scan dvd player with built in Tivo. The best part (IMHO) is there is no cost for this "basic" tivo service. So it won't find shows you like, and only has a three day guide. But otherwise it works just like Tivo (it is Tivo) but no additional monthly cost. You can "upgrade" at any time to "full" tivo if you really get into it.

I don't know if they still sell it, but it has been a pretty decent unit for me. Tho not the highest quality DVDp unit. I also like that I was able to hook it into my wireless network for it to keep up with scheduling as the phone plug was on the other side of the room.
Old 10-04-06, 12:48 PM

See, I have my VCR right now and I hate having to set it to record everyday. So, I would like to get something digital that would work just as good. So, I think that I will look into that Toshiba thing. It looks really cool.
Old 10-04-06, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I have a Toshiba SD-H400 I think is the model. It is a progressive scan dvd player with built in Tivo. The best part (IMHO) is there is no cost for this "basic" tivo service. So it won't find shows you like, and only has a three day guide. But otherwise it works just like Tivo (it is Tivo) but no additional monthly cost. You can "upgrade" at any time to "full" tivo if you really get into it.

I don't know if they still sell it, but it has been a pretty decent unit for me. Tho not the highest quality DVDp unit. I also like that I was able to hook it into my wireless network for it to keep up with scheduling as the phone plug was on the other side of the room.
How do you hook it up wireless, is there somethign mroe that I have to buy, and if I wanted to can I just hook it up through a cord?
Old 10-04-06, 01:28 PM

Also, does the Tivo service still work today, because I was told that there is no longer a life time subscription to Tivo.
Old 10-04-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lifetime was a one-time payment for the service. Now there is only the monthly-charge option. Yes, Tivo still exists.

A plain DVD burner with hard drive will do basic recording, also. If you can't find the Tivo version. Tivo is an awesome interface.
Old 10-04-06, 06:32 PM

Im, Sorry. Im confused. So, If i get this I will have the Tivo basic service for life, which only lets me look 3 days in advance right?

Is there another device out there that I can just type in a time and it will do the same thing for me?

And doesn't a DVR require me to have it record to a disc, which willg et expensive over time?

Last edited by brock50; 10-04-06 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 06:55 PM

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4922159

would this allow me to record tv to the hard drive?
Old 10-04-06, 07:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DVD recorder requires you to record onto a disc, DVR does not. The Philips model you listed looks like a combo. It doesn't appear to have TVGuide on it, which is a nice feature to have if available.
Old 10-04-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brock50
http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...=64951.4922159

would this allow me to record tv to the hard drive?
Yup. Would work like a regualr VCR, but without the tapes, straight to a HD. If you ever needed extra space, you could just copy the stuff to DVD-R. They also have a smaller 80GB version.
Old 10-04-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One more nice thing about a Tivo is you get the best hand-massaged, most accurate guide data available. It is very rarely incorrect. Tivo needs to continually convince their customers that the $13/month is worth it, so they do their damnedest to deliver a high quality product.

You also get
- continually upgraded software
- padding programs so that you don't miss the beginning or end
- watching a previously recorded show while recording another.
- the ability to download programs to a PC for editing and burning
- network streaming content (listen to Streamcast while it is recording)
- the ability to upgrade the hard drive to insane capacities (>1TB have been achieved)
- searching for repeats and reruns of a program
- automatic conflict resolution (it will magically find a later showing of the same episode if there is a conflict)
- online scheduling (I schedule it from work all the time)
- multi-room viewing with 2 Tivos
- 30 second skip (jump over an entire commercial break in about 5 seconds). This alone is worth the price.
- and yes, automatic recording of content you may like (Tivo Suggestions)

I know these are things that don't sound necessary now, but once you have them, you'll never want to leave them. It really is a nifty device.

There is a $150 rebate when you activate new service now. So if you can find a Toshiba or Pioneer DVD Tivo, the first year of service pays for itself. If you decide you can live with just Tivo basic, cancel at the end of the year.

A month ago I picked up a Pioneer DVD Tivo at Compusa for $134.25. Look for clearanced merchandise.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 10-04-06 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

See, I have my VCR right now and I hate having to set it to record everyday. So, I would like to get something digital that would work just as good. So, I think that I will look into that Toshiba thing. It looks really cool.
I use a Panny DVD recorder and use a DVD RAM disc to record all tv programs on it. Been using the same disc now for over a year. Why would you have to set it everyday? doesnt it have a daily/weekly option when setting ghe timer?
Old 10-05-06, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How do you hook it up wireless, is there somethign mroe that I have to buy, and if I wanted to can I just hook it up through a cord?
With a USB wireless adapter. Yes you could just hook it up to a phone cord if you wanted instead.
Old 10-05-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there another device out there that I can just type in a time and it will do the same thing for me?

And doesn't a DVR require me to have it record to a disc, which willg et expensive over time?
Tivo allows you to record by Time/Channel, also. I assume that is still available in the Basic version, but I don't know for sure. tivocommunity.com is the best place to get answers about Tivo if we run out here.

A DVDR requires a disc. A DVR does not, since it uses hard drives (HDD). Be cautious when typing these similar acronyms.

A DVDR with HDD also does not require a disc. They average about $400 right now, I would recommend Panasonic or Pioneer. Even though I love Tivo, and have 3 of them, I probably would recommend a Panny DVDR/HDD model instead of the DVDR/Tivo from Tosh or Pioneer. (unless you want to spring for the $13/month for full Tivo service) The Tivo Basic version takes away most of the best things about Tivo, so a regular Panny DVDR/HDD recorder isn't much different. And probably has a better DVD burning setup than the older DVDR/Tivo models.
Old 10-05-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I don't see it available on line (except eBay), but Toshiba still shows it at their site.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/prod...?model=sd-h400

It has been ok for me. It is easy conections because one set of components take care of both the Tivo and DVDp. I don't think the DVDp is the best, and as I upgrade, I'll probably get rid of it. But it isn't all that bad for the money (if you can find one). I picked my up for like $175 at BB a couple of years ago.
Old 10-05-06, 11:37 PM

Can I get a link to the Panny DVDR/HDD?
Old 10-05-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who is your cable provider? Almost all cable providers in most markets offer DVRs for a reasonable monthly fee (usually just a few bucks more than the cost of the box). They work great, and most of them can record 2 shows at once and record in HD. I love mine. I literally threw my TiVo in the trash the day I got my DVR.
Old 10-05-06, 11:53 PM

The thing is that I dont' have a cable box and i dont' think that my cable company will let me have a dvr without a cable box. BTW I have Comcast.

Any one know anything about this one?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do

Last edited by brock50; 10-06-06 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DVR from your cable company will be your cable box. It's not in addition to but is one box with a DVR along with 1 or usually now 2 tuners built in. If they normally charge a $5 fee per month for a regular box rental the ones with DVR functions are about $10 per month. If the box dies you simply swap it out. No other TIVO fees are needed. If you want to archive to tape or disc you can connect either to the box.
Old 10-08-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's a nice Panny. I thought they were cheaper, though. Guess not. J&R has better prices:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4098735
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4081521

But at $5-10/month for a cable DVR, it takes a while to get to the $400+ purchase price of one of these. Although it could be more than $10/month, if you are forced to upgrade your programming package.