DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

help me catch up with all the new tv technology

Old 10-03-06, 08:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

help me catch up with all the new tv technology

Ive been trying to catch up with all the new tv technology, but after awhile its all a blur to me. Im hoping someone will take pity on my and offer some advice.

Im looking for a new tv, flat panel, 42"-50", in the $1500-$2500 range. It will be used for non hd dvd, video games and hdtv. I have no intention of going to hd dvd any time in the near future, if that matters.

I was thinking one of the panasonic plasmas and an oppo up converting dvd player.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-03-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got real interested in the Panasonic Commercial plasmas (I don't remember the numbers). But essentially you start with just the plasma display with a nice clean bezel. It comes with no speakers, no turner, no stand, no mount and pretty limited inputs. But then you buy ONLY what you need. Use a surround system? Then don't add speakers. Need say HDMI or DVI? You add it like a computer board.

Everything I read said it was one of the best pics available and you basically build to your needs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_TH...-31511908.html
Old 10-04-06, 10:34 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yes, those Panny commercial models are great providing most already have surround speakers, receiver, etc. For someone starting just fresh w/o any of those, I'd really say go with the retail models and then slowly add on if you don't have the funds to jump right in.