DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Couple of ?s regarding HDTV/Home Theater-in-a-Box

Old 10-02-06, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couple of ?s regarding HDTV/Home Theater-in-a-Box

OK, I have a Panasonic HTIAB, and a Westinghouse HDTV. Love both - have had the home theater system for over a year, and the HDTV for two days.

My issue is with playing widescreen DVDs. When I try to play them, I get the black bars on the sides of the screen - what you normally get when you are watching full-screen programming. I also have the black bars on the top and bottom, like you get when watching a widescreen DVD on a non-widescreen TV. I tried fiddling with the settings on my DVD player/home theater system (it's integrated) and my TV, but couldn't find anything. Is there anything I can do to fix this, besides stretching the image? Seems like this shouldn't even be an issue.

My other question is...if an HDTV broadcast comes through in Dolby Digital 5.1, shouldn't I be getting surround sound? Nothing's coming out of my surround speakers, although it does for my 360 and DVDs.
Old 10-02-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abrg923
My issue is with playing widescreen DVDs. When I try to play them, I get the black bars on the sides of the screen - what you normally get when you are watching full-screen programming. I also have the black bars on the top and bottom, like you get when watching a widescreen DVD on a non-widescreen TV.
This is some type of mismatch, ie., you are telling your dvd player to output in one mode and telling the tv to display in another mode. I would start at the default settings and work from there.

Originally Posted by abrg923
My other question is...if an HDTV broadcast comes through in Dolby Digital 5.1, shouldn't I be getting surround sound? Nothing's coming out of my surround speakers, although it does for my 360 and DVDs.
Are you sure that the HDTV broadcast is in DD? If so is your receiver set for auto decode? How are you sending the audio to your receiver from your HDTV box? Is this on a seperate input?
Old 10-02-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check to see if the TV is in 4:3 mode, or whatever it calls it. It should be in 16:9 mode.
Old 10-02-06, 11:13 AM
Cool New Member

When watching anamorphic dvd's on the Westinghouse, make sure you are in FILL mode. It should leave you with no bars, except for 2:35:1, which leaves smaller ones on the top and bottom.

It sounds to me like your watching a non-anamorphic dvd though. The best thing you can do for those is use ZOOM mode.
Old 10-02-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by spielbrik
When watching anamorphic dvd's on the Westinghouse, make sure you are in FILL mode. It should leave you with no bars, except for 2:35:1, which leaves smaller ones on the top and bottom.

It sounds to me like your watching a non-anamorphic dvd though. The best thing you can do for those is use ZOOM mode.
But doesn't Fill mode stretch the image out?