DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Opinions please ... good OR bad idea?

Old 10-01-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Opinions please ... good OR bad idea?

My home theater consists of a Pioneer VSX D812 receiver (110 w per ch), a Philips DVP 642 DVD player (one that plays divx, etc), Kenwood KS-401HT speakers (the 2 front spkrs on space taking stands), and a decent Sony 120 W 12" sub. I was thinking of selling it all on eBay (except maybe the sub), and buying this Philips HTS3440/37 . I'm basically looking to save space (mainly with the speakers) and figure that the built in DVD player in this unit is basically the same one that I am using now. It says this unit puts out 250 W per ch. which is more than double of what I have now. I'm looking for opinions on which setup everyone will think is better and if I'll be losing sound quality by buying this system.

Last edited by JZ1276; 10-01-06 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I am very confused.

How many speakers do you currently have? If you do not have all 5 currently then i would think that the new system would sound better.

As far as the sound quality, the wattage figure you quote is meaningless. Those little speakers would be unable to handle true power of that spec.
Old 10-02-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with Brian.

Why not just upgrade your current speakers, keeping the receiver/dvd player you currently have?
Old 10-02-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the most famous (for quality) budget receivers vs a Philips HTiB?? No question you will be downgrading if you do this.
Old 10-02-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thing outputs 1000 watts like I run a 3 minute mile.
Old 10-02-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, you come in at what? An hour?
Old 10-02-06, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well I am very confused.

How many speakers do you currently have? If you do not have all 5 currently then i would think that the new system would sound better.

As far as the sound quality, the wattage figure you quote is meaningless. Those little speakers would be unable to handle true power of that spec.
I have a 5.1 setup
Old 10-02-06, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
So, you come in at what? An hour?
????? huh?????
Old 10-03-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won't attempt to explain my humor, or Josh's.

However, I will give some better details to explain why you should drop any thought about getting that HTiB above. Please excuse my verbosity.

You've seen the marketing copy that says the Philips system has 250wpc, and assumed your current receiver is less powerful since it is rated at 100wpc. Nothing could be further from the truth. That ridiculous claim Philips has made ought to be illegal. I can see nothing in the specs that even attempt to explain what they might mean on a technical level. If you read the specs as listed at that link (and backed up by my link below), it claims the following bizarreness:

Front right: 125w
Front left: 125
Center: 250
Surround right: 125
Surround left: 125
Subwoofer: 250

This is a strange rating in the first place. In a proper Dolby Digital receiver, the 5 (or more) main channels should all be the same wattage. So it shouldn't be allowed to put "Dolby" on the thing in the first place. But it is decidedly inaccurate, anyway. Philips has not even put a real rating in their own documentation. It doesn't actually claim anything about that supposed 250 watts. It should at least give a frequency that was playing when they measured it at 250w, most measure at 1kHz, see below. I don't think it has been measured at all.

A proper rating would look more like this one, from your Pioneer 812 receiver:
100 Watt @ 8 ohm, 1 kHz, THD: 1%
The best kind of rating would look like this, with these 6 pieces of info:
100 Watts @ 8 ohms, 20-20000 Hz, THD <.1%, RMS, All Channels Driven

I'm guessing you don't care to know what all that means. If you want more, I'd be happy to say more. But if you see a receiver without a power rating that at least looks like the 812's, run.

Suffice to say, your 812 is an excellent receiver and is probably 4 times as powerful as the Philips. I would guess that real world output of your receiver, running all 5 channels without audible distortion of the sound, is around 30wpc. I would guess the output of the Philips to be below 15wpc with 8 ohm speakers. And I would bet a month's salary the Pioneer has far better audio quality. 30wpc may seem low to you, but it is realistic and would mean you could play it loud enough for most people in most living rooms.

Your best bet would be to look into some smaller speakers since you are looking for size issues....and keep that 812.

Last edited by Spiky; 10-03-06 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-03-06, 01:35 AM

thanks for all the info, that is what I will do. Can you recommend some decent speakers around the same size as the Philips speakers?

Last edited by JZ1276; 10-03-06 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-03-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
30wpc may seem low to you, but it is realistic and would mean you could play it loud enough for most people in most living rooms.
As usual Spiky is right...and I can give a real life example.

I replaced my 100w per channel POS Sony HT receiver with a Harmon Kardon rated at a whopping 40 watts per channel. This was in a very large room. The H/K was blew away the sony both in volume, distortion and sound quality. I was so impressed with the H/K I bought a newer model (but same watts) for my dedicated theater room. Couldn't be happier.

Now H/K maybe actually under ratting their receivers, but I doubt it. Like Spikey said it is just being realistic.
Old 10-03-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JZ1276
thanks for all the info, that is what I will do. Can you recommend some decent speakers around the same size as the Philips speakers?
How much did you want to spend? If on a budget (which sounds like you are), I would check out theses,

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-.../KEFKHT1005BLK

http://www.amazon.com/CELESTION-AVP3...&s=electronics

Note, the KEFs do not come with wall brackets, while the Celestion do (except for the CC).

Also speaker from NHT and paradigm are good choices.