DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   LCDTV question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/478925-lcdtv-question.html)

Mok 09-27-06 11:45 AM

LCDTV question

I just bought my friends old LCDTV after my Mits rear projection tv died on me. I hooked up the tv to my dvd player,and put in a dvd. I noticed a lot of fuzziness and artifacting to the screen while the dvd played. I never saw any of this on my rear projection set. Is this common when switching over to LCD, I never knew how bad dvds really looked till I got this set. I have calibrated the set as best as I can using my Avia disc and THX calibrator found on dvds. So is this set just bad or do dvds really look this bad on LCD ?

TV - Westinghouse 32" LTV-32w1
DVD Player - Toshiba SD-1600

Brian Shannon 09-27-06 12:11 PM

I never knew how bad dvds really looked till I got this set
Most dvds in fact look spectacular.

What kind of cable and what kind of connection are you using to connect to the tv?

Mok 09-27-06 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Most dvds in fact look spectacular.

What kind of cable and what kind of connection are you using to connect to the tv?

I am using component cables I picked up for $20 at Micro Center. The tv only has 2 component inputs and 1 dvi.

Brian Shannon 09-27-06 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mok
I am using component cables I picked up for $20 at Micro Center. The tv only has 2 component inputs and 1 dvi.

Well I am not sure what to tell you other than the fact that I did not know Westinghouse was still in business.

What dvd did you use to base your opinion on? I use component cables in my theater and get excellent results.

Have you tried other source material? Maybe the set itself has problem.

Eddie W 09-27-06 12:32 PM

Is you're DVD player set to output progressive scan? And the picture set to 16x9? I'm not sure how you had it set up on your old set, but these could make a rather noticeable difference if not set correctly.

Mok 09-27-06 12:34 PM

I have checked about 3 or 4 movies and they just don't seem as smooth and sharp as my old rear projection set. Maybe my eyes have to get use to viewing a LCD. Problem is I never saw artifacting before on any dvds, or as much of it as I see on this set. Mind you I am about 2 feet away from the set when I see the issue.

V for Vendetta
Open Water
Inside Man
United 93

Mok 09-27-06 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Is you're DVD player set to output progressive scan? And the picture set to 16x9? I'm not sure how you had it set up on your old set, but these could make a rather noticeable difference if not set correctly.

I have my player set to progressive and 16x9, I just used the same setting I had before with my Mits.

XavierMike 09-28-06 12:08 AM

How large was your Mitz?

BtW, I just bought a new 42" Westy LCD and DVD's look fantastic.

Brian Shannon 09-28-06 06:53 AM

Mind you I am about 2 feet away from the set when I see the issue.
I hope that is not your normal viewing distance.

Drexl 09-28-06 07:50 AM

I think it's the scaling in the TV. Your DVD player doesn't do upscaling, so the TV has to scale the image to the TV's native resolution of 1360x768. This scaling can be very poor, so the image quality suffers.

An upscaling DVD player will do a much better job of scaling the image to your set's native resolution.

Mok 09-28-06 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by XavierMike
How large was your Mitz?

My Mitz was 46-inches

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I hope that is not your normal viewing distance.

No, I usually sit about 9-10ft from the set for viewing. I was just standing in front of the tv, kind of like when you stand in front
of a tv in a store. I only notice the grain when am 2-3ft away from the set.

Originally Posted by Drexl
I think it's the scaling in the TV. Your DVD player doesn't do upscaling, so the TV has to scale the image to the TV's native resolution of 1360x768. This scaling can be very poor, so the image quality suffers.

An upscaling DVD player will do a much better job of scaling the image to your set's native resolution.

I tried out my brothers dvd player which up-scales to 1080i, and it still looks
grainy. The player had some setting for screen size, I really wasn't sure what to set it at. Settings were : Fill,Original,Width Fit, Fit to Screen,
and Pan Scan. I have it on Fit to Screen.

spielbrik 09-28-06 06:19 PM

I've got the same tv. Yeah, it looks horrible up close, but at a proper viewing distance, and with proper settings, it looks great. I was not happy with the tv at first, but it's grown on me.

Mok 09-28-06 07:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback spielbrik, I'm just glad it wasn't just me. I guess I will grow to like it my xbox 360 & HD content look good on it. How far back is a good viewing distance for the set anyway ?

Squirrel God 09-28-06 08:39 PM

Not familiar with the set, but if it has any noise reduction or other digital 'enhancements', then turn them off (and re-calibrate).

spielbrik 09-28-06 11:08 PM

I'm fairly close, probably about 8 ft. I was worried at first, and did all the same stuff you did, but after watching a few episodes of Lost, I found it hard to complain. I have a 55" rear projection in another room, and I have to admit that the quality on that seems far better. I'm not complaining though, I got the Westinghouse for a great place, and for the most part, the quality is hard to complain about anyways.

One thing I suggest is making sure you have the sharpness turned down. I have mine on 4. I also have the sharpness up on my Pioneer Elite player, which helps.

Mok 09-29-06 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys, spielbrik you were a great help. I guess you get what you pay for which wasn't much. My friend gave me a good deal on the set.