DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirectTivo vs. Regular Tivo: Which is better?

Old 09-15-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DirectTivo vs. Regular Tivo: Which is better?

I've currently got a DirectTV with Tivo. I'm thinking (due to a deal with a local cable company) of switching over to cable and getting regular Tivo. By switching, I'd actually be able to get a new Tivo (with a bigger hard drive) and save about $25 a month. Anyone whose had both care to weigh in on benefits/drawbacks? Thanks.
Old 09-15-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That depends. You're actually talking about a standalone TiVo and not using "TiVo" in the generic sense by talking about the cable provided DVR, right?

The standalone TiVo has a lot of features like TiVoToGo (feeding content to and from your computer), TiVoCast (download lots of video content from the web), pictures, music, etc.

IMO, the picture quality is better in the DirecTiVo version as it's integrated.

I guess it's just a matter of what's important.

Don't forget, a standalone TiVo has a $12.95 per month additional charge to use the service.
Old 09-15-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How big a hard drive do you need? I have been very happy with my DirectTv with Tivo. 30 hours is more than enough and I would never, ever go back to cable again.
Old 09-15-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I actually mean "Tivo." I have a DirectTivo, and would be purchasing a stand alone Tivo unit. So when you say I can share with my computer, does that mean I could burn shows to DVD from my Tivo?

And I realize there is a monthly cost, but I'm figuring that in the cost, and still saving money doing it this way.
Old 09-15-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, you can take the TiVo files and feed them back to your computer (assuming you have the TiVo hooked up to a home network). They come in a format you can't do much with and require you to burn with a certain kind of software. That's the official line. I don't think we can talk about "Unofficial" here.
Old 09-15-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, don't talk about anything unofficial as I'm sure I'll be able to find some help somewhere, plus I'd rather not get this thread locked.

Also, I believe Tivo's have a dual input so I can use them like my DirectTivo and record two shows at once, even with cable. This is a big factor I'd like to keep, so if anyone knows any differently, let me know.
Old 09-15-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on the model. The newest S2 model has dual tuners.

http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.a...ries280hrDTDVR
Old 09-15-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that's the one I had looked at before. Thanks for the link. It seems like it does everything DirectTivo does, and more. So if I'm saving money, I guess the choice seems fairly obvious. Thanks for the input.

And Chew, my email is [email protected], if you'd mind discussing other Tivo details with me.
Old 09-15-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can click on my user ID and shoot me an email from the dropdown selection if you have any questions. I don't have access to my home email from work, so it's not that I'm ignoring you.
Old 09-15-06, 10:19 PM

You'll get better picture quality on a Directv Tivo vs. a standalone Tivo as the Directv digital signal remains totally digital when stored on the Tivo. There's NO degradation. It's impossible to see any picture quality difference from the live signal to the recorded one. I've seen friends' stand alone Tivos and, even on the best picture quality setting, the picture quality isn't as good as the Directv signal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have digital cable with a cable box, then you can't record a digital channel while watching another digital channel? If you split the cable you can use the dual tuners but both signals are from the analog cable channels only?