DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help me buy a new tv please

Old 09-14-06, 09:15 AM
Cool New Member

Help me buy a new tv please

Ok heres the scoop...I really dont know what i want but i do know that i have around $1100......

Size is not the most important to me as I have had the same 27 inch tube tv for the past 10 years...but i would like at least a 37"

Would you go with a cheap plasma? or a nice big screen 55 inch hdtv or a small flat panel lcd...im not too sure what the best bang for my buck would be...any recommendations would be appreciated.....also I would probably be able to find better deals the day after thanksgiving right? Also where should i look it seems that cc has some good prices on big screen hdtvs....

It will mainly be used for direct tv , tivo, regular dvds...and some ps2

thanks

-D-
Old 09-14-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spc d nuts
Ok heres the scoop...I really dont know what i want but i do know that i have around $1100......

Size is not the most important to me as I have had the same 27 inch tube tv for the past 10 years...but i would like at least a 37"

Would you go with a cheap plasma? or a nice big screen 55 inch hdtv or a small flat panel lcd...im not too sure what the best bang for my buck would be...any recommendations would be appreciated.....also I would probably be able to find better deals the day after thanksgiving right? Also where should i look it seems that cc has some good prices on big screen hdtvs....

It will mainly be used for direct tv , tivo, regular dvds...and some ps2

thanks

-D-
I'll tell you flat out - a cheap plasma is a disasterous investment. Relatively speaking, in my eyes, plasma has the highest variance in quality vis-a-vis price point. Besides, it might be difficult to find even a cheap plasma in your price range.

DLP gives you the biggest bang for your buck. This one is $1199, a bit above your price range, but it's an HLS 720p DLP and at 46" is plenty of TV to grow with.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...m/fatwalletcom

That's what I would do if I were you.
Old 09-14-06, 11:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

In that size range (37"), I'd go LCD instead of plasma if you're really wanting a flat screen. If it's going to be your primary display though, I'd seriously consider going with the Samsung above. I considered buying the 42" version a while back. They produce a very nice picture.