DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DiVinci 5.1 Surround Sound Systems

Old 09-12-06, 02:18 PM
Suspended

DiVinci 5.1 Surround Sound Systems

Does anyone here know anything about them? I'm wanting to upgrade my $50 Wal-Mart surround sound sytem and the DiVinci sets (DV-606, DV-607 & DV-608) have really caught my eye. Physically they look pretty cool and their specs appear to be awesome as well. The ads say they retail for about $3,600, but they tend to be going for $250-$700 on Ebay.

I can't find any reviews. Even AVSForum members had no opinions. I just found that odd. The sets are cheap, look nice and have fantastic specs. It seems there should be plenty of owners or at least former owners.

How good are they?

Old 09-12-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The ads say they retail for about $3,600, but they tend to be going for $250-$700 on Ebay.
I think this says it all here. Also known as the white van speakers

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/251784.html

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=241669
Old 09-12-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, don't know anything about them.

As nice of video as you have, I would sure consider getting a very solid audio set up. Something from the usual suspects (B&W, KEF, Paradigm, NHT, etc). And while stats on speakers are all nice and good, they don't really tell how a speaker will sound or if you will like them.

I'd check out a higher end dealer in your area and go listen to several different types of set ups. You will be amazed at how different they sound and will soon find a preference.

Also, don't forget the HT Receiver/seperates can have a large impact on overall sound quality.
Old 09-12-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely scam speakers. I like this quote from their website:
This is mainly because we' ve always preferred to follow our own design instincts rather than convention. Our first product was one of the earliest cone loudspeakers, based on a radical new cone design in 1982. Within three years, we launched the world's first DiVinci speaker; by the end of the decade, DiVinci was already established as the high-end loudspeaker brand.
One of the earliest cone loudspeakers... in '82? I would guess that cone speakers have been used for probably 100 years, and if not when speakers were first invented at least since the '20s when the modern speaker system was patented.

If you still want these you can probably save on shipping by waiting in a strip mall and flagging down white vans.
Old 09-12-06, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Thanks. That's too bad. They are getting good feedback for the speaker, but if I can do better for the same price I'd like to. I was highly impressed with my $50 Wal-Mart surround sound sytem for the price (everyone else has been too. When I tell them it was only $50 they can't believe it). I'll be happy with anything that clearly blows them out of the water for under $300-$400.
Old 09-12-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well if you are trying to spend $300 or $400, you might consider

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077624907950

The athena's have a devoted following. Nice price and if you are not happy you should not have to much trouble returning to BB (stolen from fatwallet)
Old 09-12-06, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Call me shallow, but I don't care much for the way they look. If they are good I will consider them though, but I love the look of tower speakers and would like at least two. I may put together a custom set with the advice of AVSForum members. If not, the Athena's might be in the running.
Old 09-12-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
Call me shallow, but I don't care much for the way they look. If they are good I will consider them though, but I love the look of tower speakers and would like at least two. I may put together a custom set with the advice of AVSForum members. If not, the Athena's might be in the running.
You must hate the look of my speakers
Old 09-15-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not a Polk fan, they just don't "do it" for me. But there are lots of Polk fans out there. This seems like a good deal. Get two, then find some bookshelf surrounds and a CC, and you will be in good shape...

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4005092
Old 09-16-06, 08:36 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I'm not a Polk fan, they just don't "do it" for me. But there are lots of Polk fans out there. This seems like a good deal. Get two, then find some bookshelf surrounds and a CC, and you will be in good shape...

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4005092

Is your problem with Polk the sound or the look/size? AVSForum members seem to have high praise for the Micra 6 speakers. If they sound that great I'm interested. Though I do love the look of thos polk bookshelf speakers.

I may be trying to move my screen size from 8' wide upto 12-14' wide, so I would like to have bigger sound to go along with it. If my bass wasn't blown on my $50 system (and if both rear spearkers were still working perfectly) I probably wouldn't feel the need to upgrade. That takes away money from the video which I don't like since I don't consider myself an audiophile. I think those cheap 5.1 PC surround systems sound superb, so I hope I feel the difference is really worth the difference in price..
Old 09-16-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you got yourself a nice setup you'd probably be set for life (ok, a couple decades) since audio isn't a top priority. Good speakers tend not to blow when used correctly, unlike HTiB speakers. The depth of some nice bookshelf speakers compared to the tiny ones is worth the price of admission, I'd say. Audio depth, I mean. But you'd probably have to double your $3-400 figure you mentioned to get a full 5.1 setup.

I like Polk's tiny speakers compared to many other tiny speakers, wasn't so fond of their towers/bookshelves. Nothing seriously wrong like Bose, just not what I was looking for in the sound. Reminded me of low-end Infinity. I purchased a stereo set of sub/sat Polk's back in the late 80s, my parents still use them. I even DJed wedding dances and other large parties with them.
Old 09-16-06, 04:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I think I have those R50 Polk cherries, I picked up 5 for my 5.1 in the past. Definitely ok speakers, not great but good for the price I got them for.
Old 05-30-07, 08:29 PM

I have that set i purchased it off ebay 1 year ago aprox

well they work they sound darn tootin good for the price under 300.00 shipped they are comparable to the polk i see at abc warehousefor 300.00 each but the complete set is a steal at the price i also have a polk psw12 which i ran with my jve rak systm kinda old but 5.1 and sounds good lacks the controls for the rear and center distance but i can get equal or better sound outta the divinci's fankly the sub might even be a tighter more solid low with the divinci's depending on use the polk wins with the more up beats r&b and rp but movies and country music are far crisper with the divinci's

i beleive thses speaker compared to retail prices a valuse of aprox 750.00

my opinion my experince 1st hand

only major dislike is sub amp setup being togeather my disc changer did skip when attempted to make it a look like a standard old sony rack system

other than that my 360 sounds great through them there actualy hooked up to my moms 56" hitachi lol my mom thought i spent well over a grand on the speakers
Old 05-30-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Grab some Magnepans. Very sweet.
Old 05-31-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dodge89
well they work they sound darn tootin good for the price under 300.00 shipped they are comparable to the polk i see at abc warehousefor 300.00 each but the complete set is a steal at the price i also have a polk psw12 which i ran with my jve rak systm kinda old but 5.1 and sounds good lacks the controls for the rear and center distance but i can get equal or better sound outta the divinci's fankly the sub might even be a tighter more solid low with the divinci's depending on use the polk wins with the more up beats r&b and rp but movies and country music are far crisper with the divinci's

i beleive thses speaker compared to retail prices a valuse of aprox 750.00

my opinion my experince 1st hand

only major dislike is sub amp setup being togeather my disc changer did skip when attempted to make it a look like a standard old sony rack system

other than that my 360 sounds great through them there actualy hooked up to my moms 56" hitachi lol my mom thought i spent well over a grand on the speakers

Punctuation and spell checking are free & very helpful!

Please don't take offence, but your credibility is shot with a post/review like that. Will you sum up your review in a coherent statement?

Again, don't take offence, take it as constructive criticism.
Old 05-31-07, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
If you're looking to stay that cheap, check out the following: Yambeka Audio

I have a lot more money wrapped up in my HT with Paradigm speakers. But in our living room, I ended up giving the Yambeka's a shot after reading that thread. Considering I paid $167 shipped for a 5.0 speaker set, I have been very happy.
Old 06-01-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Slayer bought something months ago. You do realize the shill who just signed up pulled up an 8 month old thread. Coincidence?
Old 06-01-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dodge89
well they work they sound darn tootin
you talk like William H Macy in Fargo.

Has anyone ever been approached by the guys selling this shit in their white fans? They are so obnoxious and try to act all secretive looking around to see if anyone is watching while they show you the garbage they are selling like it's supposed to be stolen or something.
Old 06-02-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are really interested, go to Remote Central forums. They have more than one huge thread about this scam.