Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New Budget King In Digital Front Projection - $999 720p DLP w/DarkChip2, 4000:1 CR

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New Budget King In Digital Front Projection - $999 720p DLP w/DarkChip2, 4000:1 CR

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I had been looking at HDTVs, but this has changed my mind. I've all but decided I'm going to be getting this soon. It will be my first projector.

I also wonder about the lag for games (I'll just be using the Xbox, Gamecube, and some emulators, where the games will be progressive anyway), but I think with consoles I may use it in native mode to avoid scaling. 640x480 should still be big enough of an image.
Old 09-27-06, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
but I think with consoles I may use it in native mode to avoid scaling. 640x480 should still be big enough of an image.
To some, but I definitely wouldn't do it that way. Not sure why you are afraid of scaling. It's supposed to be quite good on this unit. It's unlikely you'll see a difference if the scaler onboard is good (aside from having a bigger picture). Infact, a good one can give a percieved improvement over a native 480p unit due to the finer pixel structure.
Old 09-27-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slayer2005
To some, but I definitely wouldn't do it that way. Not sure why you are afraid of scaling. It's supposed to be quite good on this unit. It's unlikely you'll see a difference if the scaler onboard is good (aside from having a bigger picture). Infact, a good one can give a percieved improvement over a native 480p unit due to the finer pixel structure.
It's the lag that's a problem. Digital devices take time to process, and scaling also takes time, some odd milliseconds. This doesn't matter if you're just watching a movie (minus the lipsynch being slightly off - which is fixable in a decent HT receiver).

Even some computer users report lag from LCDs running native resolution. There's a site out there with screenshots of how many frames behind different LCDs were behind a CRT:
Pics (see page 2 for ms measurements):
http://www.behardware.com/articles/6...-crts-yes.html

On average LCDs at native rez are lagged 2 frames behind.

The problem can be even worse on HDTVs doing the upscaling thing. Funky SD processing (like Samsung's DNIe) is even slower. Some displays offer "game mode" deinterlacing, which is much faster and apparently helps out a bit.

I notice a tiny, tiny bit of lag on my Faroudja-based X1 - There's a move that's very difficult to pull off in Tekken Tag that I simply cannot seem to do any more (this may be due to me being rusty too) but I've noticed little otherwise.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 09-27-06 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
The HD70 now has a $100 rebate (think thru CC) saw this over at Fatwallet

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Optom...arriage=befree
Old 10-08-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought one from CC. That is why I asked for a 10% off for CC this morning! That means if all goes right, I will be getting this for $799.99!!! Also, there is a possibility for another $100 off here. I don't know if it will work, but I am going to try! Once again, a big thanks to yohansen5b, he/she (I don't know which) really hooked me up.
Old 10-16-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gijon213
I just bought one from CC. That is why I asked for a 10% off for CC this morning! That means if all goes right, I will be getting this for $799.99!!! Also, there is a possibility for another $100 off here. I don't know if it will work, but I am going to try! Once again, a big thanks to yohansen5b, he/she (I don't know which) really hooked me up.
Well? How about a review/report!
Old 10-19-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Well? How about a review/report!
Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while. I actually didn't plan on buying this for some time because I am building my entertainment center right now. Until my Entertainment center is finished, I can't put up the projector Believe me, when it is up, I will tell all with pics! I am just as anxious to see how it does.
Old 11-05-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had my eyes on this pj but...

I got my hands on an Optoma HD72 for ~$834 AR, fatcash, coupon, etc shipped instead of the HD70 Overstock only had 10 of them, though.

So I'll be stepping up to 720p. Keep an eye out for more deals on the HD72, with the $400 rebate floating around, it's not too hard to find a good deal on it.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 11-05-06 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-06-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great price, I saw that deal, but couldn't get it before 00S. Assuming it will continue to be $150+/- more then the HD70, what are the advantages? This is what I have read:

-can run on by a computer native (768 v. 720)
-better "out of the box" very little tweaking needed to best the best pic
-two digital inputs (DVI & HDMI v only HDMI for the HD70)

Seems the lens, offset, zoom, noise level is all the same? PQ is pretty much the same except it is reported you need to do a lot more tweaking with the HD70.

Anything else I'm missing? The small price difference doesn't bother me, but it also doesn't scare me to do some basic tweaking and use the savings for a new DVD player. Tho the two digital inputs is nice, that means I got to run two as well.

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I had my eyes on this pj but...

I got my hands on an Optoma HD72 for ~$834 AR, fatcash, coupon, etc shipped instead of the HD70 Overstock only had 10 of them, though.

So I'll be stepping up to 720p. Keep an eye out for more deals on the HD72, with the $400 rebate floating around, it's not too hard to find a good deal on it.
Old 11-06-06, 01:07 PM
Suspended

The HD72 has better color accuracy and better calibrated contrast/black levels. It has been discovered that a D65 calibrated HD70 loses a lot of its on/off contrast & brightness. Some people are modding it by blocking out the white segment to improve its contrast and black levels.
Old 11-06-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The HD72 has better color accuracy and better calibrated contrast/black levels. It has been discovered that a D65 calibrated HD70 loses a lot of its on/off contrast & brightness. Some people are modding it by blocking out the white segment to improve its contrast and black levels.
Really? So are they discounting it so much as the HD73 is now out? If it has all the advantages of the HD70 + better color and conectivity, I would think they would leave at a price point of $300-$400 more. Lately tho it seems you can get it at around the same price as the HD70.
Old 11-06-06, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Well, the the HC3000U can be had for as low as $1449, so that doesn't help the HD72, because the Mits is a lot better. The HD1000U is also about the same price or less with a free lamp. That also doesn't help. So, I'd expect the HD72 to be $999-$1,299.
Old 11-07-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the the HC3000U can be had for as low as $1449, so that doesn't help the HD72, because the Mits is a lot better. The HD1000U is also about the same price or less with a free lamp. That also doesn't help. So, I'd expect the HD72 to be $999-$1,299.
Well I have knocked the HD1000U off my list as it has even more lens shift then any of the others (35% v 33%). I don't think I want to spend as much as $1,500 so that knocks out the HC3000U. So that pretty much leaves the two Optoma's. I'm leaving the Panny 900U on my short list as it would sure make for an easy set up.

I mentioned over at AVS, but I really don't get why these HT PJ have such a large lens offset. Heck I have a "normal" 8' ceiling and not sure I'm going to make it work with two rows of seating (without increasing my riser height).
Old 11-07-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished installing the HD70 in my home theater, and it doesn't look bad. I didn't mod it, and just configured it by surfing AVS for a while and what I think looks Ok. I thought it was very easy to set up, and this was my first projector. Out of the box it is ready to perform, and I have no complaints about it. I am projecting onto a home-made screen using the Moakes material from Ebay. Anyway, some screens:

Via a Sony DVP-CX995V with component:

BoB:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The Fifth Element

Via a R10 DirecTivo with s-video:
Old 11-07-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gijon213
I just finished installing the HD70 in my home theater, and it doesn't look bad. I didn't mod it, and just configured it by surfing AVS for a while and what I think looks Ok. I thought it was very easy to set up, and this was my first projector. Out of the box it is ready to perform, and I have no complaints about it. I am projecting onto a home-made screen using the Moakes material from Ebay. Anyway, some screens:
Same screen material I'm using on my DIY screen. Nice pic's BTW.
Old 11-07-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same screen material I'm using on my DIY screen. Nice pic's BTW.
Thanks!
Old 11-08-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great price, I saw that deal, but couldn't get it before 00S. Assuming it will continue to be $150+/- more then the HD70, what are the advantages? This is what I have read:

-can run on by a computer native (768 v. 720)
-better "out of the box" very little tweaking needed to best the best pic
-two digital inputs (DVI & HDMI v only HDMI for the HD70)

Seems the lens, offset, zoom, noise level is all the same? PQ is pretty much the same except it is reported you need to do a lot more tweaking with the HD70.

Anything else I'm missing? The small price difference doesn't bother me, but it also doesn't scare me to do some basic tweaking and use the savings for a new DVD player. Tho the two digital inputs is nice, that means I got to run two as well.
That's pretty much it. The extra digital input will be cool, I might eventually hook up my HTPC work-in-progress to it. I liked that the out of the box color accuracy was better - it sounded trickier to get the HD70 with very accurate color. The computer friendly x768 rez thing is cool, and the extra height should make 4:3 a bit better (which we have a lot of).

I'm going to be building a screen again, I guess. When I moved my old screen became too small and I disassembled/threw it away. I couldn't easily build an 80"x60" 4:3 screen for my X1, and didn't want to spend a lot of money as I knew an upgrade would be coming, so I've been projecting on our white wall (with a tiny bluish tint). I'm going to see if I can do a blackout cloth screen again...it's a tight fit at 53" high image, and AFAIK the projection calculator doesn't quite have the right height/width for a 16:10 image.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 11-08-06 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-15-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I finally ordered a HD70! Sweet. The 12% BB coupon expired today (tho I got a new one that starts on Friday) so I went in tonight and got one. Well sort of. They did not have one so they "special ordered" for me or something and it will be here 12/8. That will give me time to get a HDMI cable & wall plates and run the wires.

Looking forward to it. I just couldn't find a deal on the HD72, and with 12% off on the HD70, that made it roughly $880. Good deal. And if by chance I find a deal on the HD72 or even a better deal on the HD70, I can cancel this one at BB since I don't have it yet.
Old 11-15-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm using the Leviton Quickport connection system for audio and video runs. Does anyone know if they make a HDMI connector? I can't find anything on their site and a google didn't reveal anything.

I have a single box at my PJ and a single box at my gear that has three connections for component and one for composite. I was hoping to replace the composite with HDMI and then I would be set...hopefully....
Old 11-16-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I finally ordered a HD70! Sweet. The 12% BB coupon expired today (tho I got a new one that starts on Friday) so I went in tonight and got one. Well sort of. They did not have one so they "special ordered" for me or something and it will be here 12/8. That will give me time to get a HDMI cable & wall plates and run the wires.

Looking forward to it. I just couldn't find a deal on the HD72, and with 12% off on the HD70, that made it roughly $880. Good deal. And if by chance I find a deal on the HD72 or even a better deal on the HD70, I can cancel this one at BB since I don't have it yet.
Congrats man! I am sure you are familiar with AVS, but if not, here are some links that may help you out.
Old 11-19-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is talk over at AVS that the Mitsubishi HD1000U has dropped below the $1,000 mark "on the street" and the free buld if purchased from an authorized dealer appears still in place.

It is an awesome time to buy a projector. And not just any PJ's but highly rated ones as well.
Old 12-08-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picked up my HD70 at BB today (they had to special order for me). Yea!

While I was waiting for them to get out of the back, I was looking around: They had a 4805 display unit for $599! With no box, remote, power cord or anything! And what is the deal with those Monster Cables! 16' HDMI for $249??? Does ANYone buy that stuff!

Got to go out of two on Sunday, but will try to get it up and running tonight or tomorrow.

Had to go to Elliots Hardware to pick up the M3 screws and picked up a piece of plexiglass all for the mount.